Why do you name your ring/diamond?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just don't get it. But I like it.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't name any inanimate that doesn't "name itself." "Alfie" came to mind immediately when I opened the package containing my Tiffany sterling silver owl... and that name has stuck. But if I try assigning a name to something "just because" as I did with my MINI Cooper when I first got it, then the name will be soon forgotten. :wink2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't named my ring/diamond, but ...

When I refer to it I don't call it "my ring", I call it "my diamond".

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1417897225|3796561 said:
I don't name any inanimate that doesn't "name itself." "Alfie" came to mind immediately when I opened the package containing my Tiffany sterling silver owl... and that name has stuck. But if I try assigning a name to something "just because" as I did with my MINI Cooper when I first got it, then the name will be soon forgotten. :wink2:

Ditto. My old ipod, my pc, and my laptop all have names (my pcs have always been Pandora and my laptops have always been Hyacinth - right now I am on Hyacinth II, or Hyacinth the Dark, and Pandora V). But names have never stuck for my phone, though theoretically every iphone I've ever owned has been named Iphigenia. My old car was initially dubbed Helios but the only name that ever stuck was The Speeding Bullet (so named by my friends because I had a sporty car whereas they all had nice safe sedans or hand-me-down minivans).

None of my jewelry has been named. But I imagine if I ever come across a piece that needs a name, it'll get stuck with a clunky classical moniker as well. Jewelry just doesn't really seem to have a personality the way my computers do. That's probably the issue with the phone as well. And the Prius. The Prius is boring and doesn't really seem deserving of a name.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I name a lot of things but I can't say I've named my ring or my diamond.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never nicknamed any of my jewelry...if I had a really beautiful antique ring, I'd probably come up for a name for it.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
I named mine after my mom because I was anxiously waiting to tell her all about it and then she suddenly passed I received it the day after her funeral.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could, but I can't seem to remember a name I give it. I generally call things by exactly what it is, but add a "the" before it.

I call my son, "the son". Same with my daughter. It's lucky I only have one of each. hahaha!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha I always did with some inanimate objects even before PS though I never named my ring until PS and I think PS named my ring for me if I remember correctly. I didn't name my first ER or any of my rings till my OEC ER and that name was suggested by PSers (I think). And the ring is named after my beloved grandmother who died 22 plus years ago. I always have her in my heart and now I wear her memory on my hand as well.

My dh and I always named our cars and our bikes from the very beginning and well I sort of hate to admit this but we have a few imaginary animal friends we have named too...don't ask LOL. We (me mainly) are very weird in some ways LOL.

When my darling Billy (cat) died my dh wrote a letter from him to me (awww my dh is just the sweetest most wonderful man alive IMO) and in the letter there was an imaginary gerbil who was friends with Billy (but didn't come to life until my dh's letter to me from Billy) and to whom we still refer to this day. Somehow it lightened the load we felt from losing our beloved Billy. The grief is still huge and deep but having our imaginary gerbil with us somehow makes it more tolerable. Sorry if that is TMI but naming inanimate objects and make believe animals sometimes makes life a little bit better.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lola is just Lola. I dunno that is just me. I used to have a blue BMW executive sedan that was Benni BMW when it got sold the lady that bought it off my husband somehow got talking to him and he told her that it's name was Benni and to this day I believe she and Benni are still together, and she refers to it as Benni the blue BMW as well.

All our dogs, cats, chickens and pretty well everything else around the place has a name too, I think you are probably a person into personalising everything and naming it or you aren't. :lol:

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I think this might fall into the unpopular jewelry opinions, but I don't get it and the idea of naming jewelry makes me a little uncomfortable somehow. For me, it would be forced.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I've never named a piece of jewelry. However, there have been a couple of jokes in my social circle in regards to naming things. One of our friends inherited a giant, spectacular round solitaire and because it was so fabulous, it seemed to have its own identity, so we gave it a name. Likewise, I have a vintage mink stole that I sometimes wear to parties, charity events, special occasions, etc. and my friends call it "minky" :lol:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sorta have titles for my jewelry pieces, based on how I aquired them, or where they came from.
I was given an awesome diamond ring from an elderly friend, which I call "Old Jim's Diamond" or affectionately, "The VVS2"
Some other diamonds I just call by their weights, The .88, the .76, etc........
I bought diamond studs that belonged to a friend's deceased mother, hence the name "Mrs. Benard's Studs". There is also "Mrs Benard's Aquamarine"
I have "The Maui Black Pearl", the "The Singapore South Sea", "The Muzo Emerald", "The Thai Princess", etc.
They sound like cruise ships!!! LOL

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond naming generally has been the mega-stones, like the 4-5+ ct stones. It's sort of like naming a ship or something. :bigsmile: So therefore, I don't really have anything worthy of naming! I don't think I'll ever have a stone that size, but if I did, I'd probably name it, too! :lol:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^I agree. Unless you have a giant solitaire that is deserving of it's own name, zip code, etc., then naming a piece of jewelry just seems a bit odd (to me anyways):)

JanesJewels

Shiny_Rock
missy|1417958410|3797144 said:
Haha I always did with some inanimate objects even before PS though I never named my ring until PS and I think PS named my ring for me if I remember correctly. I didn't name my first ER or any of my rings till my OEC ER and that name was suggested by PSers (I think). And the ring is named after my beloved grandmother who died 22 plus years ago. I always have her in my heart and now I wear her memory on my hand as well.

My dh and I always named our cars and our bikes from the very beginning and well I sort of hate to admit this but we have a few imaginary animal friends we have named too...don't ask LOL. We (me mainly) are very weird in some ways LOL.

When my darling Billy (cat) died my dh wrote a letter from him to me (awww my dh is just the sweetest most wonderful man alive IMO) and in the letter there was an imaginary gerbil who was friends with Billy (but didn't come to life until my dh's letter to me from Billy) and to whom we still refer to this day. Somehow it lightened the load we felt from losing our beloved Billy. The grief is still huge and deep but having our imaginary gerbil with us somehow makes it more tolerable. Sorry if that is TMI but naming inanimate objects and make believe animals sometimes makes life a little bit better.

Well, I think that's lovely, Missy. Thank you for your reply on my other thread. Since you have shared, I will also share that because I've been very lonely since Mom died, my stuffed animals have been an enormous comfort to me. They're just so incredibly soft and sweet. And they all have names. Friends tend to hide when terminal illness and bereavement comes - my sister in law is currently dying of the same cancer my mom had and her husband says some of their lifelong friends have vanished - so my animals are collectively referred to at the moment as Mommy's Friends! (me being their mommy!) On a cancer website a woman said that her stuffed lion - Squiffles, I think it was - provided enormous comfort during her treatment. She said Squiffles was always there for her and absorbed her tears, and that everyone going through a hard time should have a Squiffles. It confirmed that I'm not crazy.

Regarding the question, I have tried to name some items of jewelry but it hasn't really stuck. I don't think I've named any other objects.

I'm off to watch TV with my friends.

JanesJewels

Shiny_Rock
Cluless|1417928588|3796998 said:
I named mine after my mom because I was anxiously waiting to tell her all about it and then she suddenly passed I received it the day after her funeral.

Oh Clueless, that is terrible. Just terrible. Cyberhug ((((Cluless))))

iammariaberg

Rough_Rock
I have diamond ring. The diamond's name is 'Regent Diamond'. It's a lovely combination of colors white with pale blue. I love my diamond ring :love:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a couple pieces I named, not for any particular reason except that my s/o doesn't remember the details of any particular jewelry piece, so if I make reference to it by name, it's easier for him to remember when I reference it. And the names are relatively representative of the piece. For instance:

_24995.jpg

_24996.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I was one of the first ones to name my rings on this board? I remembered someone commented to me that it was 'different'. Now it seems like everyone's taken to naming their bling?

I name a lot of inanimate objects in my life. :)) I name everything.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every diamond has a personality. Some are more evident than others. This is Old Miss Evil:

_25010.jpg

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Little King

_25011.jpg

_25012.jpg

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Little Miss Sunbeam

_25014.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine got dubbed "The Brick" back in '06 and that's how I've thought of it since then. I honestly don't even think it was me who named it... If I recall correctly, someone else said, "geez, that thing is a BRICK" and it just stuck!

ETA: I also have a sapphire and diamond three stone ring that the ex-hubbs referred to as Big Momma and that one stuck too.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I wish I had a sparkly that was prominent enough to demand a name. Sometimes I refer to my engagement ring as "my sparkly", but I wouldn't say that that's its name. So far all my bling seems to be fairly timid and unassuming. Maybe I need to get some statement pieces.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
JanesJewels|1418005905|3797478 said:
Cluless|1417928588|3796998 said:

Oh Clueless, that is terrible. Just terrible. Cyberhug ((((Cluless))))[/quote

Thank you Jane xo

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results