shape
carat
color
clarity

Shipping loose stone to vendor for setting is it common....

rocksjust4me

Rough_Rock
Is it common for a vendor to ask you to send your diamond cert with your loose stone? I am considering a setting from a vendor that I did not purchase the stone from and their policy is that you ship the stone and certificate to them. Is this normal?

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Shipping loose stone to vendor for setting is it common.

I've never had to send the certificate along with the diamond - I have provided the certificate number, and once also emailed a pdf of the report (of my own accord; vendor did not request). Without knowing more, I do find it odd a vendor would require the cert sent with your diamond; it would raise a red flag in my book.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's so that you can't ship them a different stone, and then later claim that the jeweler switched it on you. You can send them a copy, not the original, so that it can't be misplaced. Once they receive the stone and report, they will verify that the stone matches the report.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

It is common and for your safety and theirs.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, I had no idea this was a common practice...

rocksjust4me

Rough_Rock

I understand the reason, but it seems that a copy of the cert would suffice. I asked and they said it needs to be the original. This will be my first time even sending loose stones to a vendor to have them set and I feel uneasy sending the stone and the cert. I would be more than happy to send a copy of the cert.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I would think a copy of the lab report would be fine as well. Who is the vendor?

Tammy001

Rough_Rock

This is normal, and it is safe for your ring.

rocksjust4me

Rough_Rock

The vendor is Whiteflash and they said it should be the original cert. I am going to ask again if I can send a copy. But, I guess it should be ok because I have the stones insured and the insurance company has copies of the certs. I just wanted to check with the pros and see if this was normal because I have not seen anyone mention this as standard practice.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock

Theyre legit, so wouldn't worry. You'll get the report back.

Strange, when my friend bought his stone from wf, the ags report he got was a copy. I wonder why they give a copy and won't accept a copy? HUH.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

If it didn't come from them, and they're setting it, they need the original so that they can see the plot and a copy won't really give them a fair view of the plot. They need to know what they need to be looking for, and if they spot something not plotted (say they're taking something that was already mounted and find a chip that you weren't aware of) it helps to have it. It protects you AND them. It will get returned.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

TitanCi|1417189883|3791701 said:
Theyre legit, so wouldn't worry. You'll get the report back.

Strange, when my friend bought his stone from wf, the ags report he got was a copy. I wonder why they give a copy and won't accept a copy? HUH.

Was it a copy issued by AGS or GIA though as that may be different than a photocopy. Did he get the original eventually, he should check up on it.

rocksjust4me

Rough_Rock

Thanks for all the feedback. I am getting everything ready to send off.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Maybe it is just me but I wouldn't send the cert with the diamond in one package ... what if it gets stolen?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results