shape
carat
color
clarity

The "I need help finding a nice present" thread.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm like 30-50 I'd say. We're not doing a formal gift exchange, but I think it's nice to get him something.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1416854627|3789641 said:
Hmm like 30-50 I'd say. We're not doing a formal gift exchange, but I think it's nice to get him something.

Does he go out for lunch? You could always get him gift cards for his favorite lunch spots. I feel for you. Nothing is harder than buying a gift for someone you know little about.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Does he go out for lunch? You could always get him gift cards for his favorite lunch spots. I feel for you. Nothing is harder than buying a gift for someone you know little about.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy have you heard of Qwertee? (ww.qwertee.com)
They post geeky tshirts for 24 hours and they are really cheap ($12-$14). They cover just about every geek subject (a lot of Doctor Who though). Even if you don't use it now, would be good to monitor for future presents.

As well you could get him started on one of the Up and coming Graphic Novel Series. I just started Saga, and it is getting all kinds of rave reviews (http://www.amazon.ca/Saga-1-Brian-K-Vaughan/dp/1607066017/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1416855999&sr=8-3&keywords=saga)

This one is really intriguing me if he is a Marvel fan: http://www.amazon.ca/Thanos-Infinity-Revelation-Jim-Starlin/dp/0785184708/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416856103&sr=8-1&keywords=thanos

Google "best graphic novels 2014" and you'll get lots of lists.
Depending on the type of stuff he is already reading, I could make other suggestions.

NTave

Shiny_Rock
How about a classic collectible comic book? Some of them get pricey, and might be something he would want but would never buy for himself.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1416856139|3789652 said:
telephone89|1416852507|3789620 said:
Gypsy, have you been to the website http://www.thinkgeek.com/ ? They have alot of 'nerdy/geeky' stuff, I bought some cool gifts last year from there.

OK best website EVER!

I am buying THIS for sure: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f0b6/
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/2068/?pfm=HP_ProdTab_1_2_WhatsNew_2068 and this is a definite maybe
I'm glad you like it! They have some pretty neat stuff. Unfortunately some of the stuff I like doesn't ship outside of the USA (ghost pepper sauce?!)

Great idea calliecake!
He does, and so funny he always goes to the same place and gets the exact same thing! But he usually expenses it, so the company pays. He lives in a smaller town close to me, so I might go check out what's in the area and get a gc from there.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There's a ghost pepper sauce too? DH would love that!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1416854991|3789644 said:

And where are you located hon?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could find out if there are any whiskey tastings in your area? Two years ago, we went to a whiskey tasting for my husband's birthday and he loved that.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1416898858|3790092 said:
You could find out if there are any whiskey tastings in your area? Two years ago, we went to a whiskey tasting for my husband's birthday and he loved that.

Thanks, Distracts! I've been reading along, trying to get ideas for my family. My husband loves gin and your post reminded me about a gin place in town that does this. Great idea!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhea|1416901906|3790107 said:
Thanks, Distracts! I've been reading along, trying to get ideas for my family. My husband loves gin and your post reminded me about a gin place in town that does this. Great idea!
I don't even understand how gin could have different tastes. It all tastes like Christmas trees to me. ?????????

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1416903565|3790115 said:
Rhea|1416901906|3790107 said:
I don't even understand how gin could have different tastes. It all tastes like Christmas trees to me. ?????????

You are not alone Distracts. It tastes like Christmas trees to me too!

Sorry Gypsy, I've got nothing regarding a great gift for John. I did love your cuddle coupon idea for him though!!!! You may not be much of a cuddler, but if I ever get lucky enough to meet you in person, your getting a hug!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1416644482|3788405 said:
Opps, I should probably tall you something about him huh?
Age 41
Loves Whiskey, particularly Scotch and Bourbon.
Loves good cigars
Enjoys video games (favorites are Dragon Age series Mass Effect series, Batman Arkham series, The Last of US-- he's playing Dragon Age Inquisition now as a matter of fact).
Loves comics, favorite super hero is Batman.
Loves LOTR and Star Wars
Loves cats
Snarky/sarcastic funny T-shirts

Yes, he's a bit of a nerd. But he's my nerd.

:wavey: :wavey:

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

(except for the cigars) Are you sure you're not married to my husband?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't think this will address your need Gypsy, but I think I'll be getting the guy in my life a gift certificate to get his car, or at least the interior, detailed. The challenge will be how to present that gift certificate... I'm leaning towards putting it on a box of his favorite chocolates. Not imaginative, but I think he'll like both. :wink2:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
part gypsy|1416941203|3790340 said:
Gypsy|1416644482|3788405 said:
Opps, I should probably tall you something about him huh?
Age 41
Loves Whiskey, particularly Scotch and Bourbon.
Loves good cigars
Enjoys video games (favorites are Dragon Age series Mass Effect series, Batman Arkham series, The Last of US-- he's playing Dragon Age Inquisition now as a matter of fact).
Loves comics, favorite super hero is Batman.
Loves LOTR and Star Wars
Loves cats
Snarky/sarcastic funny T-shirts

Yes, he's a bit of a nerd. But he's my nerd.

:wavey: :wavey:

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

(except for the cigars) Are you sure you're not married to my husband?

So we have more in common than just gypsy in our nicknames?

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't read thru the entire thread, so forgive me if any of this has already been posted.

I just picked this up for my hubby and thought it looked like a neat gift. A barrel aged cocktail kit. This website also has some great gift ideas for the drink lover.

http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/barrel-aged-cocktail-kit

Also, I'm originally from KY and love some good bourbon. One of my particular favorites is Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Has he tried that before? It's amazing. We also love to make cocktails with bourbon and a Ginger Liquor that we recently discovered called The Big O. It's a delicious combination.

http://drinkthebigo.com/mixologyblog/our-product/

Good luck!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess we do! Is your husband really into Walking Dead as well?

After heavy hints from him a few years ago I got him the Dragon Age (I can't remember which one) video game for Christmas. He's the one who introduced me to comics, and is now introducing our kids to comics and cartoons. Right now Ultimate Spiderman and Samurai Jack are on heavy rotation, but previously the xmen, avengers and justice league were the big ones.
Nowadays my husband reads more graphic novels and independent work than superhero comics. Lots of good stuff there. I can ask him for recommendations if you wanted to branch out.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For $30 you could get a Batman Snuggie. Getting him out of it might be a problem though :lol:

_24603.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
jill_s|1417017750|3790719 said:
Also, I'm originally from KY and love some good bourbon. One of my particular favorites is Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Has he tried that before? It's amazing. We also love to make cocktails with bourbon and a Ginger Liquor that we recently discovered called The Big O. It's a delicious combination.

http://drinkthebigo.com/mixologyblog/our-product/

Good luck!

He does like that one very much!! It's a great bourbon apparently!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elliot86|1417030084|3790801 said:
For $30 you could get a Batman Snuggie. Getting him out of it might be a problem though :lol:

Getting it out of my house ever would be a problem. So... while I think it is hilarious, my husband has hoarding tendencies as is... so no. :lol:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
part gypsy|1417025354|3790766 said:
I guess we do! Is your husband really into Walking Dead as well?

After heavy hints from him a few years ago I got him the Dragon Age (I can't remember which one) video game for Christmas. He's the one who introduced me to comics, and is now introducing our kids to comics and cartoons. Right now Ultimate Spiderman and Samurai Jack are on heavy rotation, but previously the xmen, avengers and justice league were the big ones.
Nowadays my husband reads more graphic novels and independent work than superhero comics. Lots of good stuff there. I can ask him for recommendations if you wanted to branch out.

Yes, he loves Walking Dead and I REFUSE to watch it. It's creepy and gross.

Dragon Age is fantastic, I follow along and watch him play ... doing that now as a matter of fact. It's like a really good fantasy novel, the plot.

If your husband hasn't played it I HIGHLY recommend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Effect Mass Effect. Its a trilogy and is quite great though, obviously, the first one is older in terms of graphics. My husband is a graphics snob, but not a huge one and he adored this series.

In terms of graphic novels, I think the ones Black Prophet recommended are the ones I'm follow up on for now. And I do have his birthday present (February) already on order, so I am set there.

But if you or your husband have some nice bourbon recommendations I could use that.
I'd like get him a nice bottle of Bourbon, but under $100, please.

He likes the following:

Jefferson's Reserve Small Batch. He says that with one ice cube it opens up nicely. This is the least expensive (though a local vendor here its very affordable anyway, lists for more elsewhere).
Faultline (KL Wines exclusive). He says you add a little water to it's sweeter than the others like caramel and oak.
Blanton's. He says he tends to drink it neat, it's more peppery than the other two.
He also says WL Weller is decent, especially for the price, but hard to find locally. He has a bottle of unopened Buffalo Trace that he bought because of the WL Weller though, and just thought it was okay-- though at 20 bucks it is very affordable and he could buy again.

Just okay (nothing he would buy a bottle of again):
Four Roses Single Barrel
Angel's Envy (but he'll drink this when we are out though, often) he says this is very mellow.

(I'm pretending I'm giving gift advice to a friend who is buying for her husband, which is how I got all this information, BTW).

He'd give his right arm for a bottle of Jefferson's Presidential, which he hasn't tried. But at over $250 bucks since it's so rare online, and not available locally, that's a bust all around.

So if you can recommend some Bourbon for me to buy him, I'd be very appreciative.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just realized I've been remiss in thanking everyone for their wonderful suggestions. I'm sorry about that. I really value and have looked into and thought about all the suggestions posted. And I very much appreciate everyone taking the time to post their recommendations.

You guys are the best!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results