shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this sapphire?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
digdeep|1415991400|3783604 said:
Also, MichaelB..........is she okay with a color change stone? Often Blue sapphires will shift to purple (color or tint) in certain lighting. Just another thing to consider and some of those stones give you two personalities which is like two rings in one. Sorry if this was mentioned.......I can't remember after staring at all those sapphires......... :love:

A good point I forgot about.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LK, they have a "view cert" link at the bottom of the stones that have certificates...... I agree that I'd substantiate any purchase with an AGL certificate as a contingency if I were buying gems at these prices. But they are nice eye candy to look at...........

http://www.atggems.com/certs/cert_sapph_324pt_octagon_blue_unh.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
digdeep|1415992259|3783611 said:
LK, they have a "view cert" link at the bottom of the stones that have certificates...... I agree that I'd substantiate any purchase with an AGL certificate as a contingency if I were buying gems at these prices. But they are nice eye candy to look at...........

http://www.atggems.com/certs/cert_sapph_324pt_octagon_blue_unh.jpg

Yeah, but it's so much easier to press ctrl F, type in 'unheated', and go through each option. So I guess I'm just lazy :cheeky:

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LK......you are technology savvy and I am not! I just learned something........THANKS LK!! No laughing from the cheap seats.....

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
digdeep|1415993869|3783632 said:
LK......you are technology savvy and I am not! I just learned something........THANKS LK!! No laughing from the cheap seats.....

My pleasure. Nah -- not tech savvy, just young, always burying my face in a screen of some sort. :ugeek: 'Tis a blessing, 'tis a curse... (I honestly don't even know what I mean by that).

MichaelB

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone|1415988872|3783559 said:
MichaelB|1415986365|3783526 said:
* * * Anyone have a guess as to the size of the cushion stone in that split shank ring image that chrono was kind enough to post for me?
According to the couple of ring/jewelry bloggers who posted about it in 2011, it was a 7.67 ct center stone.

Well alrighty then. :lol:

Question then is would that style be doable with a smaller stone? Say a 9x7 / 10x8 mm cushion like the ones being posted here.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael,
The style you like will still work; the diamond melees and splint shank just has to be proportionate in size to the center sapphire.

MichaelB

Rough_Rock
Thanks chrono.

I like that 2.78 diamondsbylauren one except for the 2 visible hairlines/inclusions. Would those be visible in real life?

Also you say that it has a "decent cut." Just wondering how you guys can determine the quality of cut from these images. What are you looking for in particular?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask David about the clarity; I think those are lint stuck onto the sapphire, not inclusions.

Cut quality (to me) is about how well it reflects light and colour back to the eye. No windows, minimal tilt window, symmetry of outline and facets, polish, and meet points to a certain extent.

http://www.osirisgems.com/precision_cutting

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
MichaelB|1415997208|3783681 said:
Thanks chrono.

I like that 2.78 diamondsbylauren one except for the 2 visible hairlines/inclusions. Would those be visible in real life?

Also you say that it has a "decent cut." Just wondering how you guys can determine the quality of cut from these images. What are you looking for in particular?

Chrono's osirisgems link explains a lot about cutting and precision cutting.

Windows (areas you can see through) are not good. Extinction -- bowties, half/half shadowing, or just a lot of black areas are not good. A very deeply cut stone is not good -- it will result is a smaller looking gem and might even cause problems with setting. Generally a flat crown will result in less sparkle (I don't think this is true for step cuts though). Symmetry and a pleasing pattern is good. Light return is good. After looking at thousands of gems online (or better yet, in person) you just get a better eye for identifying cut quality.

We would be able to better assess the cut by asking for a hand shot from the top without table glare.

MichaelB

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the link and explanation, chrono and kites. I confirmed with David that it is lint, not inclusions, like you thought. He's going to send me a video next week.

I like the cushion that Gin purchased. ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results