shape
carat
color
clarity

rough cutlet on orange sapphire

khn

Rough_Rock
Could I get some feedback on why a rough cutlet on an unheated oval orange sapphire would be a negative? When I look at the stone it looks just beautiful (this is my first sapphire purchase) but was told it could be recut/polished if wanted but it would some lose weight. Thanks for you help.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure. As long as the rough area isn't distracting and doesn't reflect around the stone I'm not sure how it could be a negative... Maybe the seller just wanted to give you the option in case it bothered you.

Could you post photos of the gem? We love those here :halo:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We would have to see the stone to provide any feedback as to what the specific drawbacks are regarding your stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's interesting...perhaps to hit a certain magic carat weight? I would also love to see a picture to better understand what you mean.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The culet is about the worst place to have any inclusions or rough surface on a stone. Anything in culet gets reflected many times over in the stone and 1 spot can turn into looking like 8 or 16 depending on the symmetry of the stone. Sometimes when I'm finished cutting a stone there will be a tiny piece of glue left on the culet, I don't notice it when cleaning the stone, but once you flip it over it is really apparent. The same would happen if it is chipped or rough.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
PrecisionGem|1415895025|3782671 said:
The culet is about the worst place to have any inclusions or rough surface on a stone. Anything in culet gets reflected many times over in the stone and 1 spot can turn into looking like 8 or 16 depending on the symmetry of the stone. Sometimes when I'm finished cutting a stone there will be a tiny piece of glue left on the culet, I don't notice it when cleaning the stone, but once you flip it over it is really apparent. The same would happen if it is chipped or rough.

OP said he/she saw the stone in person and that it looked fine. It could be that they didn't know to look for reflections of the culet though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results