shape
carat
color
clarity

Name This Stone - Thanks for the Help!

scoseg

Rough_Rock
Need some help identifying the red stone in the ring. This is from Riga, Latvia at least 40 years ago and belongs to my grand-mother-in-law. I have some hints on what it could be but my sources have competing thoughts.

Thanks so much!

download_20140921_085121.jpeg

download_20140921_085112.jpeg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
My guess would be garnet (almandine?).

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like a Pyralspite ( PYRop-ALmandin-SPessartine - a garnet!)

Don't think it is glass course the ring looks really nice and these garnet were typical for european jewelery of the last century.

Think the source is India - the garnet from Austria/ Zillertal ( I visited the old mining area as a student for mineralogy - you can find hundreds of tiny garnets) was small but the same color - a very dark brownish red.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say garnet too.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Garnet. We can only guess. If you really want to know, you have to have an in person examination at the very least. It could be burgundy colored glass based on Internet pics.

scoseg

Rough_Rock
Sincere thanks for the help. I will have it looked at in person by a professional once I go visit my wife's family again in a few months. I have a note out to my mother-in-law to verify as well.

Thanks again!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks very likely to by Pyrope Garnet or something close within the same garnet family. Enjoy your lovely heirloom pieces. Please do not let your local jeweller steam clean or put them in an ultrasonic or they might get damaged (might be okay but why take the risk on irreplaceable sentimental pieces).

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Agreed, pyrope garnet or in the same family. They are very nice -- I like the earrings especially. Nice diamond ring too -- I had a similar one, probably the same era, that belonged to my great-aunt, then my grandmother, then mother, to me & I gave it to my niece when she graduated from college. These family pieces give us a great connection to people we never knew.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Irving.

Or maybe Walter.

Yup, looks like a Walter to me.

:)

scoseg

Rough_Rock
iLander|1412709576|3763784 said:
Irving.

Or maybe Walter.

Yup, looks like a Walter to me.

:)

Close. I just found out. Turns out it's Gary. Gary the Garnet. :)

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh you two! Thanks for letting us know :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And Gary has been identified in the line-up. :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results