shape
carat
color
clarity

Almost Ruined my Day/Week - Near Miss

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had a horrible start to my day this morning. I'm not sure what happened but just need a place to sound off and perhaps have a bit of distraction by speculation.

Shortly after I dropped off the children (thankfully they were not in the car), driving down the road, I heard a very loud squeal of tires. Knowing something is up but not seeing anything in my rear view mirror, I stepped on the brakes gently. Suddenly, I saw a Honda Accord cut very sharply in front of my car, barely missing hitting the left side (where I was), then trying to right itself (here is where I slammed on my brakes or we would have hit for sure) and then the Honda lost control completely and started spinning like crazy in FRONT of my car.

The car continued to spin out of control, then spun off the road, missing the metal divider at the side thankfully, onto the grass where it continued spinning. Fortunately, the car stopped spinning right before it hit the woods as there is a good bit of grassy area. My heart raced and I think I was pale as a ghost, clutching my steering wheel like a life-line. I was in "Run or Flight" mode for a good 30 minutes after and it was only a few meters later that I felt bad/horrible I didn't stop to check on the driver of the Accord. My heart and mind were all in disarray!

Looking into the rear view mirror, I am thankful there were no cars in front of us nor behind us for many meters. So, what caused this?
1. Sleepy driver?
2. Texting (or on the phone) driver?
3. Flat tire?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be difficult to surmise, however, it sounded like the Accord was going very fast when something catastrophic occurred, like a blown tyre, losing traction when the brakes were applied sharply, causing the car to spin.

Good to hear you are unhurt, and I hope you recover from this ordeal in no time.

I still have visions of the incident back in September 2014 when my car slid down a steep slope (over 20% gradient) and into a ditch while I attempted to drive up and across the notorious Hardknott Pass in the Lake District. I could have slid down the side of a cliff if this happened further up the pass, and the thought of that happening still makes me break into a cold sweat everytime.

Something up there was looking after me, the dog and the car that day for certain!

Likewise, something up there looked after you today.

DK :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi DK!

Yes, whatever was the cause, I agree that the Accord was going very fast (I was going 60 MPH on a 55 MPH road), something sudden happened, the driver tried to correct it but lost control of the car. Thank you for commiserating with my shock. It's bad enough when it happens only to the driver alone, it feels worse when an innocent bystander becomes involved. Did you go down the ditch due to ice/sleet/rain that day? So very glad you are still with us today. Scares like this reminds me of how short and fleeting our lives are, so we should always appreciate what we have (I know we do, but we also tend to take many of these for granted).

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Oh, how awful! :shock:

So glad you weren't hurt!

We had a near miss when a car crossed a grassy median, drove across our lane, then slammed into a tree. It was the interstate, everyone was going 70 mph+. We looked across the road, and there was a giant RV, rolling over and over on the shoulder. The RV came to rest, right side up, with the sides and roof completely stripped away! The occupants were strapped into their seats, looking stunned. My DH ran to the car that had crashed into the tree, and it was empty! :shock: Turns out they were towing the car, it came loose, shot across the road, and cut across several lanes without hitting anyone. It was several years ago, but I'm still amazed no one was hurt.

It'll take you a few weeks to get over it, take your time.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Chrono,

How scary, indeed! I'm glad you're ok. although this would be the time for a nice fainting couch to rest upon. There are too many close calls on the road and I am glad I don't drive anymore.

You know, I was going to bring up the topic of the new cars that drive themselves. I just can't picture a car that does everything by computer. I don't think many of us feel safe on the road now, let alone automated cars.

I am glad you're safe. Have your favorite food today.

Annette

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Chrono, I'm so glad you are okay! It could have been so much worse than you being shaken up. Its amazing how you feel like everything is going in slow motion as it is all happening so fast. I think a nice dinner with your husband and a glass of wine may help!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can relate to the being in shock afterwards....there are days I feel like a magnet for these type of road incidents.
there are too many drivers rushing to get ahead and then find themselves cut off so they cut in on the lane next to them putting everyone at risk.
glad you are ok.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander,
What you experienced is no less awful than mine. I was already being cautious knowing that it's already deer hunting season here and being close to wooded areas, a deer or two could run out across the road at any time.

Annette,
Actually, I think automated car driving might be a good thing (if well programmed and well checked out). It all rests upon how well it is written and tested. We, humans, make mistakes too, most often due to fatigue and/or inattention or distraction. Then again, you are talking to a programmer here so my opinion is clearly biased. ;))

Calliecake,
Yes, it was a very strange feeling, as though time slowed down but I'm sure it was all over in a few seconds. Thank you for your concern. DH is working very long hours lately due to end of the year stuff but yes, it's Friday so dinner over the weekend still counts.

MZ (or do you prefer MoZo?),
I recall you had your car totalled recently? I'm sure you had quite the scare then as well. That makes the two of us - jaded voters and jaded drivers. :lol:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1415378631|3779213 said:
iLander,
What you experienced is no less awful than mine. I was already being cautious knowing that it's already deer hunting season here and being close to wooded areas, a deer or two could run out across the road at any time.

Annette,
Actually, I think automated car driving might be a good thing (if well programmed and well checked out). It all rests upon how well it is written and tested. We, humans, make mistakes too, most often due to fatigue and/or inattention or distraction. Then again, you are talking to a programmer here so my opinion is clearly biased. ;))

Calliecake,
Yes, it was a very strange feeling, as though time slowed down but I'm sure it was all over in a few seconds. Thank you for your concern. DH is working very long hours lately due to end of the year stuff but yes, it's Friday so dinner over the weekend still counts.

MZ (or do you prefer MoZo?),
I recall you had your car totalled recently? I'm sure you had quite the scare then as well. That makes the two of us - jaded voters and jaded drivers. :lol:

oh, yeah, that slow motion feeling.....and distances seeming so much farther than they really are: that was my reaction to the May 18 event in which I was rear ended by a motorcyclist.
and, yes, the more recent September 8 incident in which a driver backed into my lane of traffic and totaled my car.
been on a real roll, haven't I?!
oh, yeah, I totally relate to your experience!
re the bolded above: LOL, we have the makings of a country western song....or rap?!
humor: the best healing device in the world?
no real preference re MZ v. MoZo...........slight preference for MZ but only slight.
really glad you're ok, Chrono!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1415364576|3779067 said:
Had a horrible start to my day this morning. I'm not sure what happened but just need a place to sound off and perhaps have a bit of distraction by speculation.

Shortly after I dropped off the children (thankfully they were not in the car), driving down the road, I heard a very loud squeal of tires. Knowing something is up but not seeing anything in my rear view mirror, I stepped on the brakes gently. Suddenly, I saw a Honda Accord cut very sharply in front of my car, barely missing hitting the left side (where I was), then trying to right itself (here is where I slammed on my brakes or we would have hit for sure) and then the Honda lost control completely and started spinning like crazy in FRONT of my car.

The car continued to spin out of control, then spun off the road, missing the metal divider at the side thankfully, onto the grass where it continued spinning. Fortunately, the car stopped spinning right before it hit the woods as there is a good bit of grassy area. My heart raced and I think I was pale as a ghost, clutching my steering wheel like a life-line. I was in "Run or Flight" mode for a good 30 minutes after and it was only a few meters later that I felt bad/horrible I didn't stop to check on the driver of the Accord. My heart and mind were all in disarray!

Looking into the rear view mirror, I am thankful there were no cars in front of us nor behind us for many meters. So, what caused this?
1. Sleepy driver?
2. Texting (or on the phone) driver?
3. Flat tire?
Thank goodness you are OK! My heart is racing and my adrenaline started pumping reading about what happened to you because I was in a horrible accident last year with my son in the car. Because the roads were icy at the time, me slamming on my brakes I was unable to stop when someone smashed into me and totaled his car. He ended up losing his license on the spot when the police officer could tell it was 100% his fault. Didn't make it less scary. The SCARIEST thing was seeing this guy barreling at me going the WRONG WAY down a one ways street and there was nothing I could do to get out of the way in time. I screamed (my son said he never heard me scream that loud and that my scream was pure terror) because he couldn't see what was going on from the back then he felt the awful impact and the noise of the crash. He was 10 at the time and I don't think he will ever forget about it. The scariest thing was after the crash my son was silent, didn't make a peep and that terrified me. I kept asking if he was OK and he was just in shock for a few minutes.

But the amazing think is we ALL walked away. Even the guy who was at fault, and his passenger. Nobody had a scratch on them. he totaled his car, severely damaged my car ($7K of damage but his insurance company fixed my car). I was scared to drive for months, it still shakes me up when I think of it. I think its a miracle that we were all OK. The guy that hit me was VERY upset with himself at the scene and was all apologetic but then turned into an ass and lied to his insurance company and tried to blame me! Thankfully though the angles of the way his car was damaged and my car was damaged and the police report painted him into the big lier that he was and I was believed.

So, that being said, there is a good chance the person you saw was OK. Who knows what happened? Could be blow out, could be cell phone. I spent months wondering what the hell the guy who hit me was doing. He wasn't drunk (he was tested). I still suspect cell phone use. It upsets me SO much when you look over at stop lights and see sooooo many people on their cell phones. There are just too many distractions while driving.

I'm glad you are OK and I'm glad your kids weren't in the car. My son actually wrote a short story about our accident last year for an assignment at school about the scariest thing you have been through. It affected him deeply.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That is SO scary, Chrono. Thank heaven you weren't hurt, much less the children! I completely know how terrified you felt. When a car passed others over a double yellow line a couple months ago just as I drove around a curve & missed being hit head-on by 2 inches, I was almost paralyzed with shock. For about 2 weeks afterward I got the heeby-jeebies every time I had to drive.

It is terrifying how fragile our lives are -- you can go out for a quart of milk & never come home. Good reminder to live as if that can happen. Hope you're feeling better, but you'll probably feel jumpy for some time.

Hugs!

--- Laurie

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank goodness you have the driving skills to get yourself out of that potential hit. Good going!!!

Stiff drink time.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MZ,
I recalled you mentioning you had a preference for one over the other, which is why I asked. Hmmm, a country song with a dash of gemmology added. Perhaps something along being jaded but not as wonderfully as jadeite? Okay, clearly, writing lyrics is not my forte. :cheeky:

Asscherisme,
That is a horrifying accident. Oncoming is scarier because you can see it coming! Glad that you and your son were unharmed.

Laurie,
You too? Glad you are okay as well.

Azstonie,
Perhaps a bit of wine tonight might be in order. :devil:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
That is terrifying. Relieved to hear that you weren't hurt. I don't really know what else to type as I have had no similar experiences, thankfully. I dread driving in the future.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you're okay, but yeah that adrenaline rush really wakes one up.

Maybe that driver had a heart attack.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono, it could have been anything number of things that happened to the driver. I was in an accident quite a few years ago that was my fault. I was scheduled to have a medical test I was extremely worried about that afternoon. I was distracted thinking about the test and ran thru a red light going about 45 miles per hour. I flipped a small pick up truck on its side. They put both the driver of the truck and I in the same ambulance. I just remember crying to the guy how sorry I was and when they were trying to take care of me, I was arguing with the attendants to take care of the other person first. I remember the man telling me that I was hurt worse and he kept telling me to please not worry about him. I had my seatbelt on but my head still managed to shatter the windshield. My husband spoke with the person I hit and said he thought all the blood scared the heck out of the guy. I guess I was quite the sight before they cleaned me up. Thank goodness the other guy didn't have any Injuries but I still felt terrible putting him thru everything.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's so scary! I'm glad you're okay and hope the driver of the other car is too.

I completely understand being shaken up about a near-miss like that. Once I was run over two lanes and off the road by an 18-wheeler, and I just kept thinking that if those lanes hadn't been clear, I would have been toast! Freaks me out just to remember it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you are okay, Chrono. i know you are physically, but such a scare and adrenaline rush can stay with you for a long time. Please pay attention to any headaches or muscle tension you may feel and work on relaxation if you feel any negative consequences at all. Deep breathing, hot baths, soothing music, meditation, yoga - anything to relax your body our of the Fight or Flight scenario your body was forced into. I'm sorry this happened.

Something similar happened to my brother when he was driving on the highway, had a seizure and lost control of his car. His car was absolutely totalled, but he walked away unscathed (except for bruises) because he was in the middle of a seizure and it was like he was sleeping (so quite relaxed). I can only imagine how frightening that must have been for every other traveler on the road at the time and we are all truly grateful that no other cars were involved. To other drivers, it might have looked very similar to what you witnessed. :(sad So glad you are okay!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono,

Hope you are feeling better, and that your nerves have steadied a bit since the incident.

Re: my incident at Hardknott Pass, I started going up the pass, and saw a car coming down. So I thought I would be polite and wait for it to come down before going up. Bad mistake, as the handbrake was not able to hold the car on the steep slope, and it started to roll back. I tried to steer the car down the curved road, could not follow the curve and ended up in a ditch. :oops: :oops: :oops:

A couple of 4 x 4s came down the pass, saw me in the ditch, and offered to help and pushed me out. Good job they were there to help, as there was no mobile phone signal in the area! :shock: I gave up trying to cross the pass as it was not worth the risk.

Surprising, the car does not appear to have suffered any damage, except a very bruised pride for her driver!!! :oops: As I said, something up there was looking after us that day!

Apology for the threadjack. :oops:

DK :))

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Reading about the experience is almost as chilling as living it. May you never experience this, again. Take care Chrono.

kind regards--Sharon

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Oh my! What a scary experience! :-o Thank God no one was hurt and that your kids weren't in the car to witness it.

I can also attest to the feeling of being in shock after something like that. A few years ago DH and I were on the way to a hockey game with some friends, on DH's birthday. It was a stretch of road that is common for deer to cross, so DH politely reminded me (I was driving) to "Watch for deer". Right after he said that, our friend, who was in the back seat, said "There's one now!" It crossed from our side of the road onto the other side, got hit by a van and got thrown violently back into our lane where I proceeded to run over it! :-o I immediately pulled over to the side and could not stop saying "Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh my God..." over and over again. We also watched as other drivers approached the deer, and not knowing it was there, kept running over it. Pieces of it were flying everywhere and we could hear the bones crushing. It was the most surreal thing I've ever experienced. We felt very unsafe, so we got back into the car and continued on to the game. But, I couldn't concentrate on the game at all because I just kept replaying the scene over and over in my head. It was awful. :nono: Luckily there was no damage to my car, except for some burned fur/flesh on the underside of my car - we took it to a car wash and DH and his friend washed the undercarriage really well to get rid of the smell.

Ugh...I'm getting the heebie jeebies just remembering that night.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Lil Misfit, How horrible! I can only imagine how terrible you must have felt.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that would be scary, I am glad you are ok....that happened to me many years ago, except I was the person that was hit..ugh I ended up in the median of the freeway, car was a total loss...luckily neither me or the other driver was hurt.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results