shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you buy simulant stones for travel ER or Studs ?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I don't feel comfortable enough to wear my diamonds I just wear plain jewelry.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Calliecake|1415034028|3776785 said:
Circe|1415025553|3776737 said:
A) GET INSURANCE. No, seriously, call Jeweler's Mutual - they're great about insuring almost immediately, all you need is your receipt or an appraisal.

B) As many have already said ... it depends. I'm a sentimental sap, so I can't bear to be parted from certain things. But when that's the case, I insure them and enjoy them, unless I'm going somewhere sketchy. (That being said, I try not to go anywhere sketchy, not so much because I'm scared of losing my things, but because I would very much prefer not to be hurt in the case of somebody wanting to take them.) My one exception? Water. I used to wear bling to the beach, but never again ... I lost a ruby out of my favorite bracelet in the ocean, and a calibre sapphire out of a deco pendant in a hot tub. D'oh. Now I stick to easy-to-replace bling for those occasions, and for those occasions, I'm fine with sims. I also think they can be tremendously useful as "practice" pieces ... very glad I "invested" $50 in a DBTY instead of dropping a few grand only to discover that the flipping drives me nuts!

Circe, I would be concerned that I'd never be able to replace most of jewelery. Do you think a jeweler would be able to copy your antique pieces? I can't imagine finding another ring similar to your ruby and diamind dinner ring. I'm still kicking myself for not purchasing an antique ring I found a few years ago. It was only about $4,000 and I haven't found anything close to it and believe me I have searched. I saw it on a Saturday morning and called on Tuesday to purchase it and it had already sold.

Heh, no, definitely not. That does play into which pieces I choose to take with me when I travel ... both sentimentally and artistically. But I figure life is for the living, so in a worst case scenario, I'll have lots of lovely memories of enjoying the ring(s), AND the funds to hunt down different-but-equally-lovely pieces. There's a Marge Piercy book where a character talks about her mother having lived "a life wrapped in tissue paper" - of having saved all her best things for a someday that never came. I used to have a tendency to do that, but no more! :loopy:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As many have said, if I dont feel comfortable wearing expensive jewelry in fear of mugging, I wouldn't wear a fake either. A mugger won't get a loupe out to see if its valuable or not.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
This sounds morbid, but I leave my real stuff at home when I travel (usually travel alone for business) so that my kids have something to remember me by, should I perish on any given trip :((

I wear simulants or just costume jewelry on business trips, and in most countries I travel to, people wear more bling than I do, since I stay at nice places and visit large corporations where people are well paid.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results