shape
carat
color
clarity

Thanks to packrat ...

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And that gorgeous asscher chryso as well as all the other beautiful chrysoberyls others have posted ... I gotta have one. I am thinking YG bezel with WG and a couple accent diamonds. I found this one, and I love the unique cut/shape as well as the lighter color (don't want one too green or too saturated). BUT ... The window. :o

I can tell a window straight on in stones but tilt windows confuse me, so I can't tell if it's a tilt window or not. :( I have seen a video of the stone, and it's pretty and when it is dead straight on, I don't see the window but when it goes just slightly off center the window opens.

What do you all think? This one is in my budget for this (<$300). I am not expecting a perfect stone but I don't want it to look empty either. Is this a good one, or can I find better within my budget?

_23704.jpg

_23705.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like a tilt window. To truly determine a window, one must view the stone with the table perpendicular to your line of sight. This is on an angle.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are two more that are screen shots from the video that show as close as I can catch face on. The video was emailed to me so I can't post a link. I really think it's a tilt vs straight on window. But really, I guess my question should be - are they even avoidable in these stones? Is it this particular cut? Can I "do better"?

I am not particular about the shape (anything but round is fine). But I do like this particular one for its unique shape. But I don't want to offend the seller (like that one lady who was super touchy when I didn't buy her windowed stone) by asking his observances on the window. :(

_23709.jpg

_23710.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a neat shape! Chrysoberyl is so cool. I know where you can get a gorgeous Peter ec chryso...wink wink!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1414797889|3775721 said:
Here are two more that are screen shots from the video that show as close as I can catch face on. The video was emailed to me so I can't post a link. I really think it's a tilt vs straight on window. But really, I guess my question should be - are they even avoidable in these stones? Is it this particular cut? Can I "do better"?

I am not particular about the shape (anything but round is fine). But I do like this particular one for its unique shape. But I don't want to offend the seller (like that one lady who was super touchy when I didn't buy her windowed stone) by asking his observances on the window. :(

You ask the seller whatever questions you want. A good seller will always properly answer, and if they don't, then don't buy from them. That last vendor you're referencing was one to avoid. The consumer needs to never be afraid to ask a vendor any question they see fit.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1414804445|3775757 said:
That's a neat shape! Chrysoberyl is so cool. I know where you can get a gorgeous Peter ec chryso...wink wink!

I know; I saw it and I do lurve the cut/shape, but I thought it might have a little more green than I was hoping for. I will go back and take another look.;-)

TL said:
You ask the seller whatever questions you want. A good seller will always properly answer, and if they don't, then don't buy from them. That last vendor you're referencing was one to avoid. The consumer needs to never be afraid to ask a vendor any question they see fit.

Yea, I know. I just don't want another "run in" like that again. The seller of the one I posted is Dan Sexton. He seems like a really nice seller, and very graciously provided the videos for me, as they weren't part of the original listing. I don't expect a perfect stone with my budget, but I don't want a huge window either when I look at it since its a light colored stone.

ArtCut also has one that is oval and looks lovely, and notes no windowing. It's also nicely priced. But I'm not squite ure what I am looking for in these since it's my first chrysoberyl.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's your money and you should never ever be afraid to ask a seller a question. That goes for any kind of merchandise. Ask him about the tilt window. Most vendors are not the kind that would get offended like that last one you mentioned. She was really off base. It's one thing for us to tell you about what we see, but he has the stone in hand, and he would know best. ;-)

Just note that with any colored gem, you're always going to have a tilt window. Only high RI gems like diamonds, and sphalerite are better at hiding them IMO. Even some diamonds have tilt windows though depending on how they're cut.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks much TL. I just sent the seller an inquiry about the appearance of the window. Hoping he isn't as resistant to the inquiry. I don't like feeling like I can't ask questions, but that last seller just really put me off, and I don't want to feel like I am offending someone. :errrr:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1414808429|3775792 said:
Thanks much TL. I just sent the seller an inquiry about the appearance of the window. Hoping he isn't as resistant to the inquiry. I don't like feeling like I can't ask questions, but that last seller just really put me off, and I don't want to feel like I am offending someone. :errrr:

Unlike buying a car, or an item where there is quite a bit of detailed information at hand, colored gems are a whole different ball of wax. It is imperative you ask questions and lots of them, otherwise, you can make expensive mistake(s). I've been there, done that, and I don't want people to make the same mistakes I've made in the past. Worst case scenario -----> well there is none. If the vendor is rude, go elsewhere. ;-) It's as simple as that. I've been in the same shoes as you with rude vendors, and I don't mind taking my money elsewhere.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what he has to say.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Better to ask a question and realize that a vendor has bad customer service, than to not ask the question and realize when trying to return it that the customer service is bad. Ask away.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
#whatTLsaid

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results