shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions for yellow coloured stones

Mrs_A

Rough_Rock
Hi all

I do not know if this question has already been asked: but what are your suggestions for some yellow coloured stones?

I am looking to start a project to make a ring with a large-ish yellow coloured stone e.g. 2 carat + (in the style of Heidi Klum's ring set from Seal but maybe without diamonds on the band) but unfortunately I cannot afford to get a yellow diamond or even a yellow sapphire.

I have thought about potentially a sunstone, but have only started my research into this. Does anyone have any suggestions for other yellow stones which could be used? I am looking for something hard like sapphire.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you all in advance

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrysoberyl would be a good choice, though there is often a slightly greenish tint - would you be okay with that?
Steve at Westview has a very large yellow beryl (cousin to an aquamarine) that might work: http://stevorocks.com/.. There are yellow garnets, though they're not plentiful, especially in larger sizes. Yellow tourmalines, too. But chrysoberyl is probably your best bet for affordability and durability. What shape are you looking for? What is your budget range?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, if you are looking for a yellow durable stone, your only option is chrysoberyl (which often times have a green tint/modifier). There are many other yellow stones but are much softer unless you are willing to go the cabochon route.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me, chrysoberyl is the best deal right now in yellow gems. It not only takes a fine polish, luster, but it is an extremely durable stone (8.5 on Mohs and very durable as well). Some chrysoberyl is golden in color, while others are a greenish yellow. They're also typically untreated, and quite affordable still.

When well cut, they're quite beautiful, and extremely brilliant.

the_universe

Rough_Rock
I would get an irradiated yellow diamond for a fraction of the price. Its still a natural diamond and has all the qualities thereof at a fraction of the price. No one knows and no one cares that its irradiated except during the sales pitch. Jewelry is not an investment.

Or I would get a treated yellow sapphire. Either way I would get a treated stone even if cost was a non-issue. You want a beautiful piece or you want a "natural" piece; I use the word "natural" loosely as often times treated stones are sold as natural stones all the time and no one ever finds out.

treated yellow diamonds are much cheaper than white diamonds but everyone assumes they are more expensive.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
the_universe|1414779239|3775547 said:
I would get an irradiated yellow diamond for a fraction of the price. Its still a natural diamond and has all the qualities thereof at a fraction of the price. No one knows and no one cares that its irradiated except during the sales pitch. Jewelry is not an investment.

Or I would get a treated yellow sapphire. Either way I would get a treated stone even if cost was a non-issue. You want a beautiful piece or you want a "natural" piece; I use the word "natural" loosely as often times treated stones are sold as natural stones all the time and no one ever finds out.

treated yellow diamonds are much cheaper than white diamonds but everyone assumes they are more expensive.

.....and no one ever finds out.

In which universe??? :wall:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
...coughtrollcough...

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Agree

the_universe

Rough_Rock
not trolling at all.

does it matter if the stone is "treated" via radiation in the earth or "treated" via radiation in a lab? chemically its the same stuff and the colors are caused by the same effect.

when was the last time you saw someone wearing a color stone that was really impressive and you thought "its a treated stone?" I know when i see someone wearing a beautiful colored stone I think to myself "wow what a beautiful stone." I dont ever hate on it and think "thats got to be treated."

The technology is getting to the point that jewelers cant even tell the difference without sending the stone out to a lab. Not that it matters because jewelry is not an investment anyways. chances are some of the colored stones that these very forum members have are treated and were told they were not. GIA is not as reputable as people think.

getting your stone "appraised" is also a scam (always appraises for much more than its true value to make the customer feel good about their purchase). if you ever actually try to sell it you wont get close to what its appraised for. The best way to get the appraisal value for something is running an insurance scam (which I dont condone but happens all the time). Anyone who does not believe me I challenge said person to make an attempt to sell their piece and see what true market value is for it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
the_universe|1414785645|3775614 said:
not trolling at all.

does it matter if the stone is "treated" via radiation in the earth or "treated" via radiation in a lab? chemically its the same stuff and the colors are caused by the same effect.
2ct Irradiated Yellow Diamond, $3,748
http://www.caratsdirect2u.com/Loose...dftrk=gdfV25833_a_7c2291_a_7c8626_a_7c6003078

2ct Irradiated Yellow Diamond ring, $4,437
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121304014345?lpid=82

BE treated Yellow sapphire, 4.5cts, $1,719
http://www.ajsgem.com/sapphire/yellow-sapphire/yellow-sapphire-4.50-carats.html

Peter Torraca Yellow sapphire, completely untreated, 2.46cts, $3,000
http://www.torraca.net/projects/sapy780/

Peter Torraca Yellow Chrysoberyl, 4.26cts, $998
http://www.torraca.net/projects/chry902/

"fraction of the price" indeed.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the_universe|1414779239|3775547 said:
I use the word "natural" loosely as often times treated stones are sold as natural stones all the time and no one ever finds out.

While I don't have an issue with treated stones, just because "no one ever finds out," doesn't make it right to not disclose the treatment.

I personally don't mind irradiated or HPHT yellow diamonds, or diffused yellow sapphires as long as the consumer knows what they're buying and is paying a fair price. They can be a cost effective way to get a certain color on a budget. You have to be very careful though about treatment in the realm of sapphires and colored diamonds.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
getting your stone "appraised" is also a scam (always appraises for much more than its true value to make the customer feel good about their purchase). if you ever actually try to sell it you wont get close to what its appraised for.

Well, many of us know that appraisals are more for insurance replacement value and not what you could get for the stone if you sold it yourself.

the_universe

Rough_Rock
FrekeChild|1414786161|3775616 said:
not trolling at all.

2ct Irradiated Yellow Diamond, $3,748
http://www.caratsdirect2u.com/Loose...dftrk=gdfV25833_a_7c2291_a_7c8626_a_7c6003078

2ct Irradiated Yellow Diamond ring, $4,437
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121304014345?lpid=82

BE treated Yellow sapphire, 4.5cts, $1,719
http://www.ajsgem.com/sapphire/yellow-sapphire/yellow-sapphire-4.50-carats.html

Peter Torraca Yellow sapphire, completely untreated, 2.46cts, $3,000
http://www.torraca.net/projects/sapy780/

Peter Torraca Yellow Chrysoberyl, 4.26cts, $998
http://www.torraca.net/projects/chry902/

"fraction of the price" indeed.

to run any experiment, all things need to be equal except for the very thing being tested; ie: Scientific Method.

so with regards to gem pricing treated vs non-treated they need to be exact same size, quality grade, type of stone, and also the SAME VENDOR. citing different stones from many different vendors adds much more variables than just treated vs non-treated. Any internet marketer knows the buying habits and knowledge base of the customer varies greatly from website to website (depending on traffic sources). Also you dont know the motives of the seller either (more reason it needs to be from the same seller)

furthermore I dont understand your point of comparing different types of stones either. Yellow Chrysoberyl, Sapphire, Diamond all look very different regardless if they are similar in color. I was merely throwing out an option. The stigma of "treated" stones is complete crap when you objectively look at technology being used to treat said stones. Technology in general, always gets better, faster, cheaper, and advances at an exponentially faster and faster rate. (Ray Kurzweil director of engineering at Google talks about this all the time)

with that said, yes it still appears that treated stones of the same type are still significantly cheaper.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the_universe|1414786819|3775622 said:
to run any experiment, all things need to be equal except for the very thing being tested; ie: Scientific Method.

so with regards to gem pricing treated vs non-treated they need to be exact same size, quality grade, type of stone, and also the SAME VENDOR. citing different stones from many different vendors adds much more variables than just treated vs non-treated. Any internet marketer knows the buying habits and knowledge base of the customer varies greatly from website to website (depending on traffic sources). Also you dont know the motives of the seller either (more reason it needs to be from the same seller)

furthermore I dont understand your point of comparing different types of stones either. Yellow Chrysoberyl, Sapphire, Diamond all look very different regardless if they are similar in color. I was merely throwing out an option. The stigma of "treated" stones is complete bullshit when you objectively look at technology being used to treat said stones. Its always getting better and better at a faster and faster rate.

with that said, yes it still appears that treated stones of the same type are still significantly cheaper.

Universe,
If you've spent any amount of time reading this forum, you would realize that many of us are aware of the treatments, schemes, issues, marketing and pitfalls in the world of colored gems and their consumers. You're not telling anyone anything new, although I do appreciate your honesty. Treated gems don't have a stigma here either as long as the consumer knows what they're buying. However, there is something to be said for a gem that has its color from Mother Nature alone. Some people are "purists" and appreciate that.

the_universe

Rough_Rock
TL|1414787111|3775626 said:

furthermore I dont understand your point of comparing different types of stones either. Yellow Chrysoberyl, Sapphire, Diamond all look very different regardless if they are similar in color. I was merely throwing out an option. The stigma of "treated" stones is complete bullshit when you objectively look at technology being used to treat said stones. Its always getting better and better at a faster and faster rate.

Universe,
If you've spent any amount of time reading this forum, you would realize that many of us are aware of the treatments, schemes, issues, marketing and pitfalls in the world of colored gems and their consumers. You're not telling anyone anything new, although I do appreciate your honesty. Treated gems don't have a stigma here either as long as the consumer knows what they're buying. However, there is something to be said for a gem that has its color from Mother Nature alone. Some people are "purists" and appreciate that.

nothing more than a marketing angle designed to convince people to spend more of their hard earned money for a less spectacular stone. Whats snobbier and more elitist than a "purist?" What about "obejctivism?" What about just looking at something objectively and picking the one that looks more spectacular regardless of the sales pitch? A beautiful piece is a beautiful piece period, regardless of whether its slightly treated in a lab or not. Chemically its the same stuff.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
not trolling at all.

when was the last time you saw someone wearing a color stone that was really impressive and you thought "its a treated stone?" I know when i see someone wearing a beautiful colored stone I think to myself "wow what a beautiful stone." I dont ever hate on it and think "thats got to be treated."

The technology is getting to the point that jewelers cant even tell the difference without sending the stone out to a lab. Not that it matters because jewelry is not an investment anyways. chances are some of the colored stones that these very forum members have are treated and were told they were not. GIA is not as reputable as people think.

getting your stone "appraised" is also a scam (always appraises for much more than its true value to make the customer feel good about their purchase). if you ever actually try to sell it you wont get close to what its appraised for. The best way to get the appraisal value for something is running an insurance scam (which I dont condone but happens all the time). Anyone who does not believe me I challenge said person to make an attempt to sell their piece and see what true market value is for it.
I happen to remember you going on a spiel about how you could get a diamond in Indonesia for half of the price it would be here, and "get a nice vacation out of it." You also demean diamonds and jewelry regularly, every time stating how jewelry is a scam and not an investment, blah blah blah. Why are you participating or even LOOKING at a jewelry forum?

Yes, I regularly look at jewelry and think, "Well, that's fake." And, unless I'm at a PS GTG or a high end jewelry store, it is actually fake or massively treated in some way. By the way, no one here admonishes treatments. We advocate for knowing what you are buying and paying a fair price for it.

As for appraisals, yes, typically they are terribly over-inflated, and no one here is going to argue that with you. There are very few (relatively speaking) appraisers that know what they are doing with colored stones, and I don't actually know of many people here who have had their gemstone jewelry appraised and insured.

I think you should perhaps read through your posts and consider whether it is accurate information and if it is helpful to the discussion at hand before clicking that "submit" button.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the_universe|1414787272|3775627 said:

Universe,

a marketing angle designed to convince people to spend more of their hard earned money for a less spectacular stone.

I politely disagree, however, if the OP wanted a huge yellow sapphire and only had a very limited budget, I would recommend diffused sapphires. Treatment does matter for a lot of people, which is why some of the most beautiful gems in the world are all natural and showcased in museums for people to appreciate the beauty of what Mother Nature can produce. If treatment doesn't matter to you at all, that's fine, your opinion, but it does matter to others, and I respect their opinion.

With your attitude, perhaps people should just buy synthetics and forgo anything that came from Mother Nature. They can be beautiful too, but there's a reason why people enjoy natural stones, especially those without treatment or invasive treatment.

the_universe

Rough_Rock
the best forums provide active, honest, blunt, real talk so people can make more informed decisions.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Universe,
What TL said.

Also, I was comparing YELLOW stones of 2cts+ because that's what the OP wanted. The treated diamonds and sapphires were chosen because they are what you suggested. Those are certainly not going to be comparable for any other reason and I don't suggest you do a market analysis on this collection of stones for any other reason.

Chrysoberyl would be an exceptional choice for the OP because of the yellow color, the hardness and the financial reasoning - obviously they are much cheaper than even your highly treated suggestions.

Sidenote: I fear that they will probably be going up in price soon, as it seems that everything is.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
the_universe|1414787793|3775631 said:
A the best forums provide active, honest, blunt, real talk so people can make more informed decisions.
The problem is, you don't know what you're talking about.

TL is someone who is all of the things you said, but actually knows what she's talking about.

the_universe

Rough_Rock
FrekeChild|1414787451|3775629 said:
not trolling at all.

I happen to remember you going on a spiel about how you could get a diamond in Indonesia for half of the price it would be here, and "get a nice vacation out of it." You also demean diamonds and jewelry regularly, every time stating how jewelry is a scam and not an investment, blah blah blah. Why are you participating or even LOOKING at a jewelry forum?

Yes, I regularly look at jewelry and think, "Well, that's fake." And, unless I'm at a PS GTG or a high end jewelry store, it is actually fake or massively treated in some way. By the way, no one here admonishes treatments. We advocate for knowing what you are buying and paying a fair price for it.

As for appraisals, yes, typically they are terribly over-inflated, and no one here is going to argue that with you. There are very few (relatively speaking) appraisers that know what they are doing with colored stones, and I don't actually know of many people here who have had their gemstone jewelry appraised and insured.

I think you should perhaps read through your posts and consider whether it is accurate information and if it is helpful to the discussion at hand before clicking that "submit" button.

you essentially agreed with me then tell me to consider whether my posts are accurate or not. Concerning the hyper inflation of diamonds, are you sure you want to go there? The google gods are absolutely going to side with me on this one too.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Universe,
This thread is basically hijacked. If you wish to discuss further, why not open a new thread?

To the OP, irradiated yellow diamonds, HPHT and diffused yellow sapphires are also another option for a cost effective yellow gem. I'm not sure if treatment matters to you, but if it doesn't, you can check out those options. Just make sure you know what you're buying. I would beware of coated stones though, as that treatment is not typically stable (yes, there are coated sapphires and diamonds).

Chyrsoberyl is a very affordable and beautiful option which is typically all natural if that's what you want, and the added plus is that at this time, they're pretty affordable.

the_universe

Rough_Rock
FrekeChild|1414788017|3775634 said:
the_universe|1414787793|3775631 said:
A the best forums provide active, honest, blunt, real talk so people can make more informed decisions.
The problem is, you don't know what you're talking about.

TL is someone who is all of the things you said, but actually knows what she's talking about.

well I have every bit of confidence that the OP can google and see who is right and who is wrong.

TL|1414788352|3775637 said:
Universe,
This thread is basically hijacked. If you wish to discuss further, why not open a new thread?

To the OP, irradiated yellow diamonds, HPHT and diffused yellow sapphires are also another option for a cost effective yellow gem. I'm not sure if treatment matters to you, but if it doesn't, you can check out those options. Just make sure you know what you're buying. I would beware of coated stones though, as that treatment is not typically stable (yes, there are coated sapphires and diamonds).

Chyrsoberyl is a very affordable and beautiful option which is typically all natural if that's what you want, and the added plus is that at this time, they're pretty affordable.

agreed. point taken.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Think it is a troll - read the stupid things it post about a ten ct ruby red to emerald green changing alexandrite and how cheap and blablabla.

Otherwise an i..... ( not allowed to post this word but it is a famous novel from Dostojewski)

the_universe

Rough_Rock
Marlow|1414789615|3775646 said:
Think it is a troll - read the stupid things it post about a ten ct ruby red to emerald green changing alexandrite and how cheap and blablabla.

Otherwise an i..... ( not allowed to post this word but it is a famous novel from Dostojewski)

Now imagine how low the price for Alexandrite would be if data trend is extrapolated from the 1960s; in the last 8 years its almost tripled in price, let alone 5.5 decades ago. Clearly Im a troll who does not know what Im talking about and I deserve to be insulted.

history-2-37.png

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
not trolling at all.

I am not going to get into the treated argument.........I think everyone here is fine with what people want as long as they KNOW what they are getting. The phrase "natural' has been used on all kinds of TREATED stones as the origin was a natural rock. That is far from honest in my book! But IF someone wants a treated stone fine...............just be sure they understand the difference is pennies on the dollar for that treatment and are not gouged in the process.

As far as appraisals.........if you get an appraisal by a jeweler, yes........it will most likely be distorted. However, the last time I had an appraisal done for insurance purposes (two years ago) I was told that they can no longer justify bolstered prices. Insurance companies have said NO to those appraisals because they do not represent the actual prices of the jewelry. My item to be insured came in at retail/replacement value......not a penny more. Insurance will add a small percentage per year in valuation........but gone are the days of double the price appraisals by GIA and Jeweler's Mutual.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
So anyway...

I like the one from TGT above, it's a pretty yellow. It's hard to tell myself two yellows is *enough* already. don't keep the ec. don't buy the oval above...don't be sad you sold the supernova chryso...sad sad sad.

I saw a couple yellow tourms...but now I can't remember where I saw them. Chryso just seems like such a better bet tho-more durable, wouldn't have to baby the darn thing like a tourm.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1414805396|3775766 said:
So anyway...

I like the one from TGT above, it's a pretty yellow. It's hard to tell myself two yellows is *enough* already. don't keep the ec. don't buy the oval above...don't be sad you sold the supernova chryso...sad sad sad.

I saw a couple yellow tourms...but now I can't remember where I saw them. Chryso just seems like such a better bet tho-more durable, wouldn't have to baby the darn thing like a tourm.

While there are yellow beryls (heliodor) and yellow tourmaline, both are very "chippy." I wouldn't recommend them if the OP is looking for something durable.

Mali garnet was advised above, but many do have significant brown in them. If that's not a problem, then that's also an option. Although garnet is more durable than tourmaline and beryl, chrysoberyl is really the most durable of them all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results