shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with CAD, please!

canvasback

Shiny_Rock
Hello All, I need help with my CAD!

My girlfriend likes a shared prong design like the one below. Attached is an actual picture of it on her finger. It's a bad cell phone picture, but you can tell that you cannot see much of the shank for the diamonds.

The CAD is being designed from this actual image, and the attached CAD design of the ring that you see on her finger.

The last image is of the CAD currently being produced for me! As you can see, it shows a lot of gold in the shank around the diamonds in the shared prong design. My question is, will the last picture once buffed and complete look like the original ring on her finger in the first photo?
Much Thanks Everyone!

bri_2.jpg

_23700.jpg

crop_updated_cad.jpg

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't get that design made in gold, I would want platinum for strength. Keep in mind the metal is what's holding all the diamonds in the band.

canvasback

Shiny_Rock
liaerfbv|1414786435|3775618 said:
I wouldn't get that design made in gold, I would want platinum for strength. Keep in mind the metal is what's holding all the diamonds in the band.

The ring will be made in 18k white gold. I wanted to do platinum, but the girlfriend doesn't want the weight and patina. Plus, I have maxed out my budget and more on this ring already.

I certainly appreciate your comment! The ring will be well insured, I assure you.

Do you offer any further information on the CAD?

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely ring. I can't comment on the CAD as I don't have enough experience but it appears to have much more metal showing (but perhaps that's how CADS will appear for a shared prong design).

Can I ask why you're getting it custom made? That's a fairly common design sold by many retailers. Then you would know exactly what you were getting.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canvasback|1414787373|3775628 said:
liaerfbv|1414786435|3775618 said:

The ring will be made in 18k white gold. I wanted to do platinum, but the girlfriend doesn't want the weight and patina. Plus, I have maxed out my budget and more on this ring already.

I certainly appreciate your comment! The ring will be well insured, I assure you.

Do you offer any further information on the CAD?

I would STRONGLY suggest you use 14K X1 white gold. It never has to be rhodium plated, and it never turns yellow. I went with 18K WG bc I didn't like the patina look (or the cost, for that matter). I really wish I hadn't gone the 18K route bc when the rhodium wears, it's waaaay more noticeable (since 18K has more gold, and gold is yellow... ;)) ). Anywho, I just thought you may wanna reconsider 18K, since she doesn't like patina... because you're gonna have to get it rhodium plated more frequently -- and you'll love metal each time. (not good at all for such a dainty setting). ::)

When my ring was new -- notice the modified knife edge
side_profile.jpg

When the rhodium had worn off on the palm side after about 6 months -- gross yellowing. The other bands are 14K WG (not X1), and they have never been polished or replated. They are still bright and shiny as ever.
imag0328.jpg

After being polished and rhodium plated only TWICE -- my knife edge is pretty much nonexistent. :blackeye:
2nd_polish.png

canvasback

Shiny_Rock
I'm getting it custom made because I didn't see one similar from the vendor (a very well known PS vendor) I bought the loose stone from. I inquired about stuller x1, and was told it wasn't an option. I really wanted to go this route, but also wanted to spend my money with this vendor because of the amazing customer service I received when buying the loose stone.

canvasback

Shiny_Rock
Bump to the top. Making a decision on this design tomorrow! Appreciate those that have participated!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never had any shared prong bands custom ordered so I've never seen what the original CADs might look like. It does look rather metal heavy at this point but I don't know how much will be shaved away.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results