shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this Tiffany stone?

chaka

Rough_Rock
Heard about this second-hand Tiffany ring and wanted to get PS'ers thoughts on the stone for my e-ring:

1.5 G VVS2
Total depth percentage: 62.2%
Table size percentage: 57%
Crown angle: 35.5
Pavilion depth percentage: 43%
Girdle: thin to slightly thick

It's a 2.1 on the HCA, but I've read on here that Tiffany stones don't always perform well on the HCA.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Their stones are not particularly well cut.

This one is not really any exception. That is not an ideal crown angle and it is also overall a bit deep. Ideally you want the pavilion angle, not percentage, but they're not keen on giving you that information.

Keep looking. Their system is pretty antiquated so it might not be easy for your sales associate to search within specific parameters. But I'd give them specific parameters to search within. Keep your depth between 59 and 61.8 percent. Keep your table between about 54-57%, keep your crown angle between 34 and 35, ideally around 34.5 degrees, keep your pavilion angle around 40.7-40.8 (range of 40.6-40.9 degrees--ask for degrees, not percents) and ideally you'd like a thin to medium faceted girdle. That girdle you posted has quite a range. Culet of zero or none or pointed. If it doesn't meet ALL of those criteria, I'd tell them no.

If the brand is very important to you/your intended, be prepared to keep combing through the system. If it's not vital, we can help you find a stunner with a setting that looks damn close.

chaka

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Ame! It's a second-hand piece, so not from Tiffany directly, though I am looking at some new pieces as well. Your info was super helpful.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
chaka|1414527849|3774017 said:
Thanks, Ame! It's a second-hand piece, so not from Tiffany directly, though I am looking at some new pieces as well. Your info was super helpful.
Be sure it's real if you're looking at second hand. As in a reputable reseller and a good return policy. Tiffany does not authenticate pieces you didn't personally purchase directly from them yourself.

chaka

Rough_Rock
Hmm, others on the forum said that I could register the piece with Tiffany's after purchase (for a fee), and then they would service it. Has that not been your experience?

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Authentication may depend on the value of the item. They have been known to bend the rules for high value jewels.

I wouldn't be inclined to buy that stone. I have a rule against buying stones that just hit the size/price break unless there is a significant discount. Add to,that the relatively high depth. Very disappointed for,you......

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
chaka|1414530899|3774048 said:
Hmm, others on the forum said that I could register the piece with Tiffany's after purchase (for a fee), and then they would service it. Has that not been your experience?
It's hit or miss. If anyone's actually gotten it registered in their name and they're not the original purchaser, they've gotten ridiculously lucky. I am friends with a reseller whose had no issues buying and selling their items and knows of no issues with service. But my experience is that the original purchasers are the only people who can walk in and do anything of the sort. Hell, I've bought items directly from them and had a hell of a time getting service from them in the exact same store I bought it from. Tiffany does not authenticate pieces that you yourself did not buy directly from them. They won't authenticate secondhand items, not for dealers, not for appraisers, not for people who bought from resellers. They make a big deal out of it. I've heard stories of it going perfectly fine, but also going horribly wrong--such as someone bringing it in, sending it in for a resize, and having it back with the trademark removed, having been told it's counterfeit, and I've heard stories of them agreeing to service it but being told because not the original purchaser they need the original purchaser to come in and approve the service before it can be done.

Regarding THIS item--this is an intact ring right? not a loose stone?

chaka

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Ame. This is an intact ring (the specs are for the center stone of a 3-stone ring). The ring is around $35k. We're looking at a very similar one at Tiffany that's $50k brand new. Trying to decide whether it's worth the risk to go with an estate piece of Tiffany won't service it.

We've also been considering diamonds from BGD and GOG, but we've having trouble with the fact we can't see them in person. I also like the Tiffany setting, and I'm worried a replica wouldn't meet my standards.

I'm finding the whole process very stressful!

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Chaka: in addition to my personal experience at Tiffany, I have confirmation from a Tiffany rep that you need not be the original purchaser to register the ring, and receive service. You can message me on loupe troop and I will give you a direct contact at Tiffany who can verify this. She can also assist if you decide to look at a new piece.

No stress- this is fun.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, the bonus of going through one of those two vendors is that you have full control of selecting exactly which stone or stones you want from their inventories--and those stones are in house, loose, not in some other location and not already in some ring. They have them, whereas Tiffany has that stone in a ring elsewhere or you pick from what's in that store's case. You select exactly what you want by budget and criteria. They can craft you a ring that will come pretty close to the real thing, or you can get another style setting.

I have purchased multiple diamonds from GOG without issue, and I have purchased diamond studs from BGD without issue and my sister in law's wedding bands were just made by them, again no issues. The good news about the "sight unseen thing" is that you really are not buying sight unseen. Those images they share with you on that listing? That IS the stone you're buying. That's the inclusion plot. They take photos at super magnification so you can see those exact inclusions and determine if you're happy with them. That's the ASET scope on THAT diamond. Tiffany does not do ASET or IdealScope images, and they might have an employee or two in their entire company that know what those even are. They also aren't particularly "aware" of cut quality down to the minutia that these two companies, and other vendors we recommend like High Performance Diamonds for example, would be discussing. So if cut quality matters, I would probably say the brand isn't worth the premium, and scouring secondhand isn't worth the stress.

I know GOG does videos on your stone if you want, there are tons on YouTube and Vimeo that they've recorded. When I was buying stones, they did so for me as well. They will show you side by side a few others if you are between a few, to show you that stone in various lighting conditions if you want to see if one grabs you more than another. Both GOG and BGD, as well as HPD are very reputable. And all have great return policies on the stones if you decide when you see it you aren't in love. HPD sells Crafted by Infinity diamonds which are amazing.

If having a Tiffany branded ring is important to you, get one. Some people really find the romance of the name to be important. When my husband and i originally got engaged, my very original ring was from there --- it went HORRIBLY wrong, but he wanted a ring from there because to him, that was important, the brand signified something and he liked the idea of being able to go into any store and get service. Now, after our horrible experience with them, that changed everything for him, but that was the general idea in the beginning. We didn't end up keeping that ring, but I do now have a wedding band from there. I was that person who sat in the store surrounded by 12 of the same ring at a time, rejecting batches til I was happy, louping them all at 30x and using the 60x microscope til I selected one. I bet you can guess their reaction anytime I come into that location now. Everyone scatters. :lol:

chaka

Rough_Rock
RandG|1414593660|3774424 said:
Chaka: in addition to my personal experience at Tiffany, I have confirmation from a Tiffany rep that you need not be the original purchaser to register the ring, and receive service. You can message me on loupe troop and I will give you a direct contact at Tiffany who can verify this. She can also assist if you decide to look at a new piece.

No stress- this is fun.

How do I find you on loupe troop? I just signed up... chakakhan is my username. Thanks!

chaka

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Ame. We like the idea of just being able to stop in at Tiffany and get the ring cleaned/service, and I am really worried about finding a three-stone setting that I like.

Ah, the paralysis of infinite options!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Tiffany jewelry and would be fine with a ring from there if it was at a discount (second hand) and the diamonds were well cut. They have nice diamonds but generally they are not super ideal cut like we see our vendors here carry. I also have a Tiffany wedding band, but I chose a superideal cut originally (an anniversary upgrade) and then changed to a specialty cut AVR. Keep looking on the secondary market and you can certainly find one of their better stones, although there are probably far more solitaires out there than 3 stone rings.

On the other hand, there is something said for just buying three super ideal cut diamonds which you don't even need to see in person since they are the best cut rb stones. There are settings very close to the Tiffany or you can have one made. I currently have a Tiffany solitaire repro that I actually like better than the original! The Vatche 3 stone setting is similar to the Tiffany.

http://www.dvatche.com/index.php?page=collection&catID=2,9&id=79

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results