shape
carat
color
clarity

Imperial topaz

JTM222

Rough_Rock
Would like some opinions on this [ images attached]. I got it a while back and since have had it independently lab verified as natural topaz, 67 ct, interally flawless/eye clean.

dsc_188.jpg

dsc_0002.jpg

dsc_189.jpg

dsc_190.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
What kind of opinions do you want? If you want to know how much you can sell it for I have no idea. To sell it you should get a report from a widely known lab, first and foremost (i have no idea who graded it and what they said of treatments) like AGS. GIA would also do.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
AGL is a reputable lab for colored stones.

In terms of cost, a colored stone appraiser would be able to tell you a range. The price for resale and insurance will be very different. You can also look around at the vendors listed under under the vendor thread. It may be hard to find a match. I've never looked for that large of a topaz.

Here is a start:
http://www.africagems.com/topaz5carat.html

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1414299615|3772764 said:

Lol, my mistake. That's what happens when I lurk on RT too much :cheeky: .

JTM222

Rough_Rock
pregcurious|1414299615|3772764 said:

In terms of cost, a colored stone appraiser would be able to tell you a range. The price for resale and insurance will be very different. You can also look around at the vendors listed under under the vendor thread. It may be hard to find a match. I've never looked for that large of a topaz.

Here is a start:
http://www.africagems.com/topaz5carat.html

I was originally thinking of selling it. Looking at other comparable ones , like on africagems.com, it seems that I would be able to get a decent price on this one [probably 5k+], especially given its large size. They don't seem to make em at this size anymore - im guessing its more profitable for vendors to cut them down to smaller [ and many of them] rather than one big size.

The alternative I was thinking about was to just keep it and make into jewellery for my daughter after a while. This stone will make a nice pendant. Maybe a set- pendant + ear rings set. id say this is my preferred option.

Im presuming any good reputable jeweller could give me numerous designs to choose from.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cutting it into several smaller pieces will make its overall value far less due to severe loss of saturation (shorter light path = lighter tone and browner) and less $/ct (more common and lost the price jump at the magic carat weight markers).

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Nice color -- did you buy it in the States? It would make a stunning pendant -- what are its dimensions? If you plan to sell it, you do need a report from a lab such as AGL. Wow, by all means, don't have it cut down!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Whatever you do, please do not cut it. What makes it the most special and valuable to others is the size that goes with the color. As Chrono stated, if you cut it, you will lose some of the color, and of course it will be smaller.

JTM222

Rough_Rock
pregcurious|1414326937|3772863 said:
Whatever you do, please do not cut it. What makes it the most special and valuable to others is the size that goes with the color. As Chrono stated, if you cut it, you will lose some of the color, and of course it will be smaller.

Ok. I guess I won't get it cut. I was originally thinking of making smaller pieces because 67 ct is a quite large stone for a pendant. I originally thought something like cutting to 37 ct center stone in pendant and two 15 ct earrings would do. But if it's going to lessen the overall value and subdue it's color then I won't do this. What I like most about this is the soft sunset orange color. That to me is a wonderful color and tough to find in a lot of gems.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Is it untreated??

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
I've been drooling over this topaz for several days. I agree to keep it at this size. It'd be a beautiful pendant.

JTM222

Rough_Rock
Marlow|1414333706|3772888 said:
Is it untreated??

The only treatment may be heat. The lab report did detailed tests [ uv, absorption, Chelsea filters, refractive index, polariscope and dichroscope]. No indications for any treatment.
they said something about the angular color banding confirms the stone is natural.

How would one determine if the stone is heat treated?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The lab report should tell you whether it is untreated or treated (heated, clarity enhanced, coated, etc), so if it is heated, it should say "heated" under the enhancement part.

JTM222

Rough_Rock
It's been a while since I last posted. I still have the topaz as shown above. Haven't done anything to it - may just sell it (as I have another one almost as big and about the same colour :))
My question here is..would you consider the above imperial topaz or just a form of precious topaz?
My view is that it's not imperial - needs more red /pink. There is too much yellow and brown in this I think; notwithstanding it's beauty which is fantastic and I certainly consider myself lucky to own 2 similar pieces :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results