shape
carat
color
clarity

The art of making a duplicate ring...

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
So...in dealing with the disaster that has been working with a chain store the last almost 3 months...(related thread here, if you haven't read it...)

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/long-sooooo-upset-need-real-jewelers-opinion-pic-heavy.207071/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/long-sooooo-upset-need-real-jewelers-opinion-pic-heavy.207071/[/URL]

My husband and I have been discussing having a duplicate made of my setting. Currently, my original setting is being held by the chain store, who is waiting to hear from me regarding what I want them to do next...my husband and I have basically decided that we will take my setting back, with the head out of the current imitation they have given me, which is owed to us because my husband purchased the setting and the head from them, (unassembled since I don't trust them to touch my actual setting again) and take it to an actual professional to see if they can fix the side stone issue. If not, our other alternative is to have a duplicate ring made. We do have several wonderful jewelers in our area that we know do this. But, I'm wondering. what is actually involved in making a duplicate of a setting?

I know every jeweler probably has a slightly different sop. but in general. I'm assuming some sort of impression of my original would be made? Also, again, I know every jeweler is going to be a little different, as well as the ever changing price of gold, but does anyone have any idea of a price range for something like this? it's not that fancy of a ring, but I know a lot of you have expressed some concerns with the design itself, which makes me wonder if this would be a pricier venture then I'm thinking. Although, considering there are currently $0 in the budget for this...everything is pricy...I'm just trying to avoid some sticker shock.

Thanks everyone!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not try to reuse a head if you have a new ring made. I would even encourage you to do some looking because you never know if there is something out there that you'd like better. I do think there is reason to have concern about the way those side diamonds are set and the possibility of repeated problems. There are many gorgeous settings out there and some would be less than going custom.

As you have seen from the problems with your repair, you can't go custom with just any jeweler. Since budget is an issue, for this particular ring I would recommend David Klass who is among the most reasonable but does excellent work. You need to go with someone with a track record. I am pretty sure he has a facebook page with pictures of his work.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts Diamondseeker!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results