color
clarity

looking for seafoam tourmaline

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1413205325|3766403 said:
packrat|1412984266|3765638 said:
I've been looking on here at pictures of seafoam stones and I see such a range of colors. It makes me wonder if I need to look at the pictures on the other computer too, and try to figure out what color is the right color that I'm seeing, if that makes sense? My computer here shows Uppy's stone different than my work computer. Work computer shows it w/more blue, mine at home shows it w/more green w/gray. Even some look mint-ish to me, rather than seafoam-ish.

EEEK!
Not only is there a difference in color displays between my iMac and my Windows laptop, but I finally realized that I tend to work on my laptop with the screen tilted back a bit in a position that's bad for seeing colors. Don't know if you have ever re-calibrated your work and home monitors, but maybe that would make a helpful difference for you. Even without investing in the appropriate software-hardware (which I have yet to do), you can do at least some measure of re-calibration via the tweaking pointers offered, e.g., here:
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-calibrate-your-monitor/

On top of the differences in displays, it seems that we all don't share the same idea of what is "seafoam." I returned a couple tourmalines that I would call mint, but which the vender characterized as seafoam. So I think Andrew Gulij's references to Pantone color guide numbers in his Gemfix descriptions is a good idea, altho' it seems unlikely that many of his prospective customers have the Pantone cards at hand.

Good luck in your search!!

Acronyms aren't very helpful usually, which is why I'm glad Packrat posted pics of the stones she liked above. I would characterize those colors as a very strongly greenish blue or green-blue with light tone and slightly greyish to grey saturation, if going by GIA nomenclature. I would also only look for stones that are open color (no closed c-axis) and typically those gems are primarily found in Afghanistan. African stones are typically closed in color although blue-green/green-blue tourmaline is usually found in Namibia and Nigeria, it really can't touch the Afghan material as far as color IMO. There are probably some exceptions in African material, but so far, I've been unimpressed with their color shifting and moodiness. The Afghan stones tend to look brighter, although often very included.

You also have to be careful that the tone and saturation isn't so light and grey that the stone verges on what I like to call "corpse color." :-o :-o :-o

However, Frankenstein would look much better in rose gold. :naughty:

494337_607a_1024x2000_1_.jpg

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another possible source: All That Glitters in Methuen, MA. ATG apparently hasn't ever been included on the respected CS vendors "sticky", but when you use the PS Google search function, the comments retrieved are uniformly positive ones & I've seen some tourmalines from Nuristan, an Afghani province, on the site in the past year or so that might have worked for you.
http://www.atggems.com

Although they've announced a new web site is in the works, ATG's current web site is an unfortunate PIA to navigate, e.g., there isn't a search function. But even if nothing depicted on the site right now appeals to you, it could still be worthwhile to reach out to them to find out what else they have/expect.

p.s. seems as if you & have similar tastes in "seafoam" & although Afghanistan will be the most likely source of what you want, the emerald-cut stone in my ring came from Mozambique, with an open C-axis.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! I find it hard to describe colors...I can look at some that have been suggested to me, like one of the cutters had a couple on his site but they're juuuust not quite what color I have in my head, so I can look and say yes or no, or close but no cigar, but I don't have the smarts to describe a color properly. I think that's why I rely so heavily on pictures. Tho, that might end up backfiring on me since I noticed the colors are different on different monitors.

Sooo, I've checked w/a few cutters and they do have rough, it just might not cut the shape or size I would be looking for. Jeff is going to check his rough when I get back to him on what size I am hoping to reach. Barry has rough coming that he will check, and Gary can cut a deep cushion but not an ec.

I have in mind a specific setting I want to do, so it's now a matter of, will it feel the same if it's not an ec center?

Aaaand then I was naughty and asked about another stone so am waiting to see what that looks like. :praise:

Not sure if I'll be back w/an update tho...JD might wring my neck. :saint:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results