shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Marlow, refractometer has arrived.

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Blimey, my thread has turned into pets corner :lol:
I might as well join in with my favourite dog. A big, floppy eared Doberman !!!

Back to the refractometer info,
Sparkle, I'm pleased you have found the thread useful.
My experience with the o'meter so far has been quite an easy and smooth process thanks to Marlows help, the meter itself is very basic in its design and easily transported in its case which is approx. 9in x 4.5in x 2.5in.
I mentioned in a previous post that it has taken a while to find the best place on the glass to place the stone, i have tried the direct placement method suggested by Marlow and sliding it onto the glass from the side suggested by others. I get the best results with the direct placement method.
The one thing i regret is not having a good stock of stones to practice with :wall:

Others have also posted very useful info and PrecisionGems app looks awesome if you can download it :(( which i cant !!!

When my stones arrive i will fire it up again, feel free to join in.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
sparkleismyfavcolor|1410283841|3747776 said:
He is a fat yorkshire terrier! =) Just don't tell him I said that. :naughty:

I've actually always wanted an Italian Greyhound. Sighthounds are so beautiful and most I've been lucky enough to meet have great personalities.

And thanks for all the great knowledge you share here Marlow! I"m envious of all of you pricescopers with your vast knowledge. I just try to soak it all in! I really do think after this thread I'll dive into some gemological tools of my own. Watch out gems! =)

He is not fat - full of muscles!!! :D

And Dobermann is a nice breed too - Marlow loves them - Italian Greyhounds are perfect little manipulating b....tards :D

They get what they want....

-----

Back to gems - really looking forward to see the results of the new gems....

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
At last !!!! Finally got some gems in the post. Marlow, I am a little busy right now but will have more time later in the week to go through them with you.

I did manage to do a quick sample test on them late last night and everything seems ok.

I did 4 aquas and 4 spinel. Sorry I don't have the numbers with me but I will add them for you later.

I will also post some pics of the stones.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
needfullshinythings|1410860342|3751723 said:
At last !!!! Finally got some gems in the post. Marlow, I am a little busy right now but will have more time later in the week to go through them with you.

I did manage to do a quick sample test on them late last night and everything seems ok.

I did 4 aquas and 4 spinel. Sorry I don't have the numbers with me but I will add them for you later.

I will also post some pics of the stones.

Fine!!! I will wait :D

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Hi Marlow, very sorry for the absence but family issues got in the way.

Here are the results for the initial test on the 4 stones from both parcels, they maybe slightly off by 0.002 or so because I have realised that my eyesight is not what I thought it was. Everything is a bit blurry !!!

The bi-refringence on 1 of the aquas seems slighty high but I will blame that on my eyesight as I havnt had the time yet to re do the tests.

All 4 Spinel tested exactly the same, does this sound right ?

Again, sorry for the lack of posts.

img_5614.jpg

img_5615.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Hey again!

Beryll: 1,802...... maybe you forgot the "5" => 1,580 ???

I want you to check an aqua again - three times ( table, pavillion and another facet on the pavillion)

Write down the three results ( highest and lowest ) - what do see?

This will help you! http://www.free-form.ch/tools/refr.html

Spinel - very low - is o.k. spinel with low Fe and Zn content ( will increase the RI)

Maybe it is blurry course you didn't move the cylinder - you can pull it out till you see the lines sharp.

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Yes you are right, I have forgotten the " 5 " on the left side 2 aquas. I hadn't noticed at all and was reading it correctly without noticing !!!
It should read 1.5802 & 1.580ish. Well spotted.

I am struggling to get an hour free at the moment Marlow, so please don't think I am being rude but I cant do the re-test right now, sorry.
I will definitely do it this evening though.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
We have a lot of time!!!! :D

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Needful
I just ran across this "study set" of gems and wondered if they might interest you. $75 the set.

http://store.gemologyonline.com/marketplace/viewItem.php?id=621

A set of assorted gems to practice identification with instruments.

The set includes:

Citrine: 5.04 x 6.85mm
Green Apatite: 3.99 x 5.71mm
Iolite: 3.97 x 5.77mm
Pink Tourmaline: 4.18 x 5.0mm
Peridot: 5.02 x 7.08mm
Colorless Topaz: 5.92 x 8.03mm
Rhodolite-Almandine Garnet: 5.12 x 7.00mm
Aquamarine: 3.84 x 5.83mm
Labradorite Cabochon: 7.93 x 6.40mm
Amethyst: 3.02 x 4.98mm
Ruby (commercial): 4.98 x 6.13mm
Sapphire (commercial): 6.93 x 5.10mm

stone-study-set.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
This set is very good - prize is fair!!

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Hi Marlow, Very sorry for the absence. Work & family making a lot of demands on my free time right now, struggling to get an hour of peace and quiet. I will relight the thread when things calm down a little Marlow, sorry again.
Starzin, thx for the link.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm continuing to keep an eye on this thread too. No worries, this is a hobby for most of us, so we have time to spare. :))

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
If you call me I'll be there!!!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I'm late to the party. This is a very cool thread.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just a reminder, when taking readings, rotate the stone 90 degrees and take 2 readings each time, by turning the polarization filter. This way you will have a total of 8 readings. Write them down in two columns or use my free spreadsheet. Single refractive stones will all have the same reading (garnets). For double refractive they will vary. How they vary can tell you a lot more about the stone then just the RI, such as the optic sign etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results