shape
carat
color
clarity

My new to me Aquamarine?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe a Mozambique cuprian tourm (here's a photo of mine)? My bet would be a cuprian of some sort.

uploadfromtaptalk1403235362860.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
nala|1409797758|3744433 said:
Update: I took it to two jewelers and they both ruled out aquamarine. One of them didn't have time to explore it at length and suggested that I bring it back to his gemologist. The other jeweler said it could be beryl, paraiba tourmaline, or apatite but that since he is no longer a gemstone enthusiast, he does not have the time to determine what it is exactly. However, he doesn't think that it screams high quality if it is indeed a paraiba. He referred me to his gemologist but she wasn't there when I called. I will check back tomorrow. Also, I will post more pictures of different angles.

So these are two new jewellers? In about your third post you said "The odd thing is that 2 other jewelers seemed to agree that it is an aquamarine and said that it is a very pretty color :confused: :confused: :confused:"

Curiouser and curiouser (with apologies to Lewis Carroll) however at least we now have a couple of jewellers on the same page as it were. To get both the gemologists to have a look would be great! See if they can agree :bigsmile:

Thanks for the new picture... it's quite a chameleon isn't it? A few more at different angles would be terrific!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the more reason why we often stress that gem ID is best done by a good lab, not jewellers due to the lack of knowledge and testing tools.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1409816290|3744543 said:
Update: I took it to two jewelers and they both ruled out aquamarine. One of them didn't have time to explore it at length and suggested that I bring it back to his gemologist. The other jeweler said it could be beryl, paraiba tourmaline, or apatite but that since he is no longer a gemstone enthusiast, he does not have the time to determine what it is exactly. However, he doesn't think that it screams high quality if it is indeed a paraiba. He referred me to his gemologist but she wasn't there when I called. I will check back tomorrow. Also, I will post more pictures of different angles.

So these are two new jewellers? In about your third post you said "The odd thing is that 2 other jewelers seemed to agree that it is an aquamarine and said that it is a very pretty color :confused: :confused: :confused:"

Curiouser and curiouser (with apologies to Lewis Carroll) however at least we now have a couple of jewellers on the same page as it were. To get both the gemologists to have a look would be great! See if they can agree :bigsmile:

Thanks for the new picture... it's quite a chameleon isn't it? A few more at different angles would be terrific!

Yes these are two new jewelers. I tried to seek out some that carried gems after I realized the first 2 were clueless. Gemstones are hard.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Yes these are two new jewelers. I tried to seek out some that carried gems after I realized the first 2 were clueless. Gemstones are hard.

Good for you Nala. Looking forward to any other revelations about this stone :))

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Can you send it to AGL in NY? If you are in CA, you could try GIA. Normally, I would not recommend GIA for a colored stone, but if you are close to Carlsbad, maybe that would make sense for you. If you tell us what state you are in, maybe someone could recommend an appraiser?

So curious here!

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
unashamedly marking my place. how exciting!

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
unashamedly marking my place. how exciting!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nala|1409767411|3744134 said:
Hi. Before we all get too excited, here is another picture which I think doesn't look anything like a paraiba
image_2282.jpg

Based on this picture, even if its a tourmaline, it's not glowy like a paraiba. I'm not sure you want to spend the money and S&H to send it to a lab, which can be $100 or more (they price these lab reports on carat weight). Maybe if there's an Intergem show coming to your town/area, you may want to go there, as there are far more colored stone experts that may be able to look at it for you.

I suspect it's a tourmaline, but not a paraiba. It could be just a regular greenish blue one with nice open color, not extinct. I would enjoy it for what it is, and just be careful about those untouched corners.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You stone looks a lot like one I was questioning on my first PS post.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-kind-of-stone-might-this-be.203554/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-kind-of-stone-might-this-be.203554/[/URL]

I think Marlow mentioned that looking at the stone through a chelsea filter might help.

As an FYI - I tried showing my ring to a couple of gem stone vendors at the Intergem show - they glanced at it and said "tourmaline" and "not "apatite". But given what others here said, I didn't trust the opinions given with only a visual glance.

So I decided to send it to AGL for a gem brief. For me, it was because my ring wasn't inexpensive---good buy for tourmaline, not so good if a lesser stone. And my jeweler has agreed to take it back if its not a tourmaline. The gem brief is $75 for a set stone but you also need to pay for insured shipping both ways. I haven't gotten mine back yet so not sure whether a gem brie f will differentiate cuprian or non-cuprian (maybe someone else who has does it will know).

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
TL said:
I suspect it's a tourmaline, but not a paraiba. It could be just a regular greenish blue one with nice open color, not extinct. I would enjoy it for what it is, and just be careful about those untouched corners.

I'm inclined to agree with TL. Do let us know if you find out anything further about it :))

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally had the pleasure of meeting a gemologist and getting a verbal appraisal of this stone. He assured me that it is in fact a tourmaline not from pAriaba but most likely a copper something from Mozambique. He said it a a nice stone and estimated the value at 900 dollars.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

So they both ruled out AQUAMARINE, then said it could be a BERYL!!! Any one know what Aquamarine is? It's a beryl.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

So they both ruled out AQUAMARINE, then said it could be a BERYL!!! Any one know what Aquamarine is? It's a beryl.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1412464492|3762202 said:

That is why I finally took it to a gemologist. Please see most recent post.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This post seems to have gotten lost so I am reposting:

I finally had the pleasure of meeting a gemologist and getting a verbal appraisal of this stone. He assured me that it is in fact a tourmaline not from pAriaba but most likely a copper something from Mozambique. He said it a a nice stone and estimated the value at 900 dollars.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
nala|1412478299|3762327 said:
This post seems to have gotten lost so I am reposting:

:wall: :wall: :wall: Nala, Nala, Nala :nono:

After all our excitement, guessing, armchair expert opinions - THIS! is what you return to us with from the geologist? :lol: But I'm pleased for you that He said it a a nice stone and estimated the value at 900 dollars. ;))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you went to see someone who has had the proper training and put your mind at ease as to what it is. Goodbye aquamarine, hello tourmaline. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results