shape
carat
color
clarity

Will a PS vendor re-string pearls that aren't theirs?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Does anyone know if any of the PS pearl vendors will re-string strands that aren't their own?

I have two strands that need re-stringing because their lengths are wrong. One is a large strand of baroque 10-11mm pearls and I know it's hard to get the length exact, but Pearl Paradise is excellent at this.I bought these pearls in another country on the other side of the world and wanted 15.5 inches but the best they could do was 16.25. (I'm not sure why they couldn't do as I asked; all you have to do is leave off two pearls at the end and it's 15.5 inches. Pretty annoying!) In addition, I haven't even worn them and one of the knots is coming undone, and the clasp is cheap. I'd love to have PP string them properly to the correct length, and buy a better clasp. I wonder if they would do that, or if they only work on their own things.

I also have a 16-inch strand of 7-7.5mm akoyas that I'd love to have made to 15.5 inches. That extra half and inch seems to make a big difference on me.

Has anyone asked any of the PS vendors, especially PP, to work on products that were not originally theirs?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found the answer - PP will re-string for approx $40, as long as the drill holes are uniform, which I have no idea about on mine! The site gives you the option of buying a "mystery clasp" for $25, but hopefully I'll be able to choose one of their own nice clasps.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to the forum. I hope your problem is rectified soon.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! :wavey:

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Jambalaya, I had Pearl Paradise re-string 3 akoya strands that I bought elsewhere. The $25 charge for mystery clasps is an additional labor charge for re-stringing a strand that already has mystery clasps, since they are a real pain to remove and re-install. A mystery clasp is basically a hidden screw set used to link the pearls together without a visible clasp. My akoya strands have them so they can be linked together as a longer necklace.

You will be able to purchase regular single-strand clasps from PP and have them installed as part of the re-stringing process.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Kay! :wavey:

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
To add to Kay's excellent advice, if you go to Pearl Paradise website you can search and look at many of the clasps they have available. They often have or can get other clasps as well if you're looking for something special. Don't hesitate to chat to them; Customer Service by everyone there is wonderful :)

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
And, perhaps you can have your leftover pearls made into earrings ...

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Keshi!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results