shape
carat
color
clarity

how long is the process of making AGL gem brief

dm-smith

Rough_Rock
I want to send my stone to AGL for AGL gem brief. How long does it usually take? thanks

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask them because they will be able to tell you the waiting time (which probably varies depending on how busy they are). Also it depends where you're shipping from.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will depend on their work load so it can be a few days to a few weeks.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
This past summer, my stone was dropped on August 5th, and the report was ready on August 28th. The stone was an unheated sapphire, and this was for a GemBrief, not a Prestige Report with origin. I received it in early September (via shipment within the US).

If you stone has to undergo additional testing, it will take more time. For example, if you submit a heated sapphire, and AGL suggests additional testing for BE-diffusion, this can add several weeks.

The best thing is to call the lab, as previously stated.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
dm...........what are you doing? There have been 9 threads started by you in less than 3 weeks and after the pages long Alexandrite thread (in which folks gave you all the advice you could possibly get!)---you dropped that and have now asked questions about other "stuff". It's odd if you are actually committed to learning about CS that you aren't reading the threads at the top of the forum, doing a search for your questions---both on this site and google, reading what others post....(an excellent way to learn!), going to gem shows or contacting vendors/agencies directly. :wall:

Chautea

Rough_Rock
Trade
The wait time is generally around 3 weeks non-expedited. Expedited requests are taken based on their discretion and workload for a extra fee.

The patience, time-waited and nominal small fee is well worth getting a Gembrief from AGL for any expensive purchases.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
digdeep|1412348267|3761348 said:
dm...........what are you doing? There have been 9 threads started by you in less than 3 weeks and after the pages long Alexandrite thread (in which folks gave you all the advice you could possibly get!)---you dropped that and have now asked questions about other "stuff". It's odd if you are actually committed to learning about CS that you aren't reading the threads at the top of the forum, doing a search for your questions---both on this site and google, reading what others post....(an excellent way to learn!), going to gem shows or contacting vendors/agencies directly. :wall:

I'm really pleased you posted this because I was wondering the same thing myself!

dm-smith

Rough_Rock

Just retired (not completely tho. I will work on special request), try to find some other hobbies, has a lot of spare time.

Since gemstone looks attractive and I used to work in a ruby shop 40 years ago, I want to explore more knowledge on gemstone (and of course, collecting some of it :bigsmile: ) I'm sorry if I annoyed u guys, but I thought asking second opinion is the best and fastest way to learn :(sad

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DM,
It's great that you plan to get back into gemstones. We do encourage questions but we are concerned that you are rushing headlong into this in many different directions at the same time before fully understanding one direction. For example, if blue sapphire, learn about understand the various blue hue qualities, treatment, value and etc. Then if you like, pick another stone...say, Alexandrites and do the same. Understand why one is prized more than another. This method of learning will be less frustrating and confusing in the long run, because each gem type can be very different from another. Just friendly advice. Hope you'll read it in the spirit it is given.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You would likely learn faster if you would be willing to do some research yourself. There is a search function on the top of each PS forum page where you can put in terms like "AGL Gem Brief" or "Bi-color Sapphire" and it will return threads where these topics are discussed. Most newcomers ask a few questions and then take it upon themselves to do some work by reading or other research. For example, the fastest way to answer your question regarding AGL would likely have been to contact them directly. :))

I *think* there is also an etiquette issue of being new and starting so many topics when, like I said, if you devoted some time to reading this forum as well as others (we are not allowed here to name other forums but there is a good one that has "Gemology" in the title ;)) ), you would have your answers without having to ask so many questions. Hope that helps.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the search function in PS is terrible. When I search here, and there are some awesome threads, I go to google, and type what I'm looking for and the word "Pricescope." So for example, I was researching moonstone, so I typed "Moonstone pricescope" in the google search box, and found a myriad of threads here.

No harm in asking questions. Even though that long alexandrite thread didn't result in the purchase of a stone, I'm sure others will read it and learn quite a bit. I just would do a lot of research before making a purchase, in particular on gems like corundum and alexandrite. At least you learned that alex probably wasn't the gem for you.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've heard others say that as well, but typically when I put terms in the PS search function, it returns multiple pages for me to review, all relevant to the chosen terms. **shrugs**

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1412375900|3761686 said:
I've heard others say that as well, but typically when I put terms in the PS search function, it returns multiple pages for me to review, all relevant to the chosen terms. **shrugs**

If it works for you, that's great, but if it doesn't for others, there's always the google option. :)

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
dm-smith|1412370881|3761635 said:

Just retired (not completely tho. I will work on special request), try to find some other hobbies, has a lot of spare time.

Since gemstone looks attractive and I used to work in a ruby shop 40 years ago, I want to explore more knowledge on gemstone (and of course, collecting some of it :bigsmile: ) I'm sorry if I annoyed u guys, but I thought asking second opinion is the best and fastest way to learn :(sad

dm......thank you for the response and congratulations on your retirement. If you follow the options given above for researching and learning about gemstones you will know soon enough if this is the hobby for you. The sky is the limit on how much you can spend in money, time, and passion. We all started 'not knowing much' and have learned through the same processes shared with you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results