shape
carat
color
clarity

What to look for in a ripple strand

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I am thinking about getting a ripple rope (36-54) and am trying to consider what I want. However I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to ripples so I'm wondering what I should be looking for asking for when I shop around.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say weight is the first thing that comes to my mind. My white ripple necklace is 36" and weighs 6.2oz. In comparison, my 18" ripples are only 2.8oz. I got used to the weight on white ripples but wouldn't go any heavier for a strand.

Besides that, I look for lots of metallic surfaces and interesting overtones. The body color is a personal preference.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Interesting question!

I can only tolerate half the weight baby monster can, so a ripple rope of average size ripples is not in my future.

For me the most important qualities are (and this is very personal and individual):

-- metallic

-- clean skins (minimal pits)

-- drop shape (I personally do not like discus shapes, or too uniformly round shapes in my ripples)

I find most ripple colors appealing, except for peach which blends with my skin.

Keep us posted!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There's a huge variety of sizes and shapes available. In drops from about 10mm to 18mm or even 20mm (now that is huge!) Average is around 13mm.
You'll never get perfect round and if price is a factor then rounded drops are cheaper than rounds. Colours range from white to deep purple with lustre from silky to metallic. You can get mixed colours or all white. There were some dyed black strands around too and they look pretty spectacular, though I didn't see any decent ones in HK last month. Most people like pearls which have at least partly that 'gold leaf' nacre look.
They've only been about for three or four years. Quality varies enormously. There are some really bad ones around on eg auction sites, and plenty of so-so ones too.
As with all pearls, once you know you are dealing with a reputable seller, you will get what you pay for.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
ckrickett - I'm getting my first ripples (hopefully!) next week so I can't help you on what to look for but I can't wait to see what you get! You have such a good eye for distinctive pearls!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am the opposite - I prefer the rounder or more oval ripples instead of the drops :)

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
I've only had two strands, but both were drop shape, which is my personal preference. I also like clean skins with minimal pits (I think Bsomlo and I have similar tastes!) Weight wise, I could only do a rope if it were medium size ripples rather than large or jumbo.

Color is definitely personal preference.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I am interested in drop shapes size 12-14MM and want peach or lavender with lots of gorgeous metallics. Wondering best vendor to inquire

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
I know Catherine Cardellini has a few in exactly what you're looking for-but Kevin at POJ may as well. As far as his site says, he's sold out but I'd contact him to be sure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results