shape
carat
color
clarity

Importing Jewelry TO the US

JanesJewels

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me with this. I was browsing jewelry online (googling "aquamarine rings" as I don't have one nad would like to) and I saw a ring I really liked with an unusual design, but it's in Europe. Since I don't know anyone in urope, I would have to have it imported to the States. The jeweler said they can ship it, but they don't know the procedure once it lands in the US.

Most of the import threads are about importing FROM the US.

Has anyone imported TO the US from Europe?

I know I'd have to pay state sales tax, which is fine, but does anyone know the procedure? Would the ring be held somewhere until I'd done the paperwork? Do I go somewhere and pay the sales tax? Are there other fees on top of the sales tax?

if anyone knows how this works, I'd be grateful. Just don't want to pay unseen fees, or have difficulty getting the authorities to release it.

Thanks!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi I do not live in the US but ship things there I sell now and then. I think it depends on which state you live in (is it one where you pay tax on purchases) and how much the item is declared for or costs. It also depends on how it is declared so what category eg - commercial sample, private goods etc. I know that loose stones are much easier to send to the US than finished pieces but again it depends on their value.

Here in Australia when we do have to pay taxes they mail you an invoice telling us how much duty + tax we owe or if there is a clear phone number sometimes they will phone and contact us.... I usually track the item and phone them with a credit card before they send out the invoice as it speeds the process up.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think there are any import taxes when shipping to the USA. I haven't had to pay anything when I have imported things from Europe.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also unaware of any import taxes for gems and jewellery coming into the US; I've had items shipped from Europe, Africa and Asia.

JanesJewels

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies! :wavey:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've sent a lot of jewelry to the US and no one has ever had problems (that I know of!). Europe, on the other hand...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results