shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite Ring Professional Advice?

gemvalue

Rough_Rock
I contact the seller, he said that the stone has been purchased from StarRuby: http://www.starruby.in/store/ which he said is one of the most respectable suppliers of colored gemstones in India. I chech them they have some good quality high value gems. Do you people have any info about StarRuby, any feedback will be in help

I just attach screenshot of a Russian Alexandrite selling on StarRuby similar to this one on the ring
Thank you

_22733.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Marlow|1411716686|3757215 said:
I am sure it is not Russian! My personal opinion.

The same with one vendor ( star....) who offers alexandrite with "russian" orign - green with almost no change. Typical Orissa green chrysoberyl.

A trusted vendor is Multicolorgems - they offer a lot but NO russian alexandrite - course the few stone available in the market stay in Russia or are on a wish list of many vendors.

The stone is EY and large - I think this lab got the orign from the vendor. If it has a good CC such a stone with russian would be incredible rare - the Russian pay a lot of money for top gem from Russia! They would not export such a stone - and you won't get one on Ebay.

I would be possible to check whether russian or not - again "Russian Alexandrite" Dr. Karl Schmetzer.

QED

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1411809215|3757734 said:
http://www.starruby.in/store/faceted-alexandrite/1-87-carat-breathtaking-deep-green-alexandrite-from-russia

Color Change: 35 % ----- Alexandrite : NO

This is a faint to weak CC - so a very low quality for an alex - a nice overpriced green Chrysoberyl - source : India, Orissa.

Russian material is not so clean the offer to many of these stones.

Same with Kashmir sapphire they offer - most are rubbish imo.

Marlow - I apologise but I have to contradict you. If a stone changes colour it is classed as an Alexandrite. Not matter how weak or strong the change. HOWEVER, would you want a 35% changer? No!

The difference between Alex and being a normal Chrysoberyl is that Chrysoberyl doesn't change colour.

I found this out when I bought my vanadium chryso and it changed colour! I was told that it should be categorised as an Alex (albeit a very different one to the normal type).

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I apologise too but in my opinion their is

chrysoberyl with a color change from (bluish) green to (purplish) red - alexandrite ( This is a variety and should be a premium! imo)

chrysoberyl with a color change or if weak color shift (other colors like greenish yellow to (golden) brown or yellow - CC chrysoberyl or chrysoberyl with a color shift

genuine chrysoberyl without a CC or color shift.

Alexandrite is a variety of chrysoberyl - the CC is caused by chrome - vanadium colors green to but has no influence on the change ( Hematita alex has an extremely low Content of trivalent Vanadium) and iron colors brown.

A pink sapphire is corundum colored by trivalent chrome - a ruby too! Ruby is (only) a variety too. But you will not call the light pink sapphire a ruby.

It does not mean that a pink sapphire, a CC chrysoberyl or a green chrysoberyl with a shift to a desaturated grayishpink is not a beautyful gem!!

But I am VERY rigid ( hope the right word ) in varieties of gem minerals - green "demantoid" and yellowgreen to yellow andradite,
pink sapphire and ruby and alexandrite / CC chrysoberyl.

pink sapphire - burmese ruby // demantoid high quality and lower quality - both russian!

I don't understand why Multicolorgems offers all its different qualities of Chrysoberyls as Alexandrite!!

This vendor is very fair and correct imo - correct prizes for different qualities - BRAVO!!!

So why not not Alexandrite, CC Chrysoberyl and Chrysoberyl???

And, LD - I LOVE such a discussion!!! :appl: :appl: - please continue!!!

I understand your arguments but they are not mine. And I respect you very much!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results