shape
carat
color
clarity

Most 1ct and above stones polished by hand?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
and < .50ct polished by machine? True or false?

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Why are you asking? Does it really make a difference?

For me, it does. And luckily, I live in the century where all diamonds are still finished by hand.

Live long,

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paul-Antwerp|1411583627|3756450 said:
Why are you asking? Does it really make a difference?

For me, it does. And luckily, I live in the century where all diamonds are still finished by hand.

Live long,
b/c I thought most smaller stones are polished by machine only. Paul, nice to know that all CBI are finished by hand.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
DF as far as I know only sawing, bruting and sometimes blocking can be automated then they are all finished by hand.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1411607618|3756615 said:
DF as far as I know only sawing, bruting and sometimes blocking can be automated then they are all finished by hand.
Even melees ?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1411615221|3756663 said:
Even melees ?
yes as far a I know.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1411615513|3756665 said:
Dancing Fire|1411615221|3756663 said:
Even melees ?
yes as far a I know.
Thanks Stormy, learnt something new everyday.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamond is the hardest natural substance (almost 10x harder than 2nd place corundum), but a diamond crystal has harder and softer areas, which human beings can respond-to by feel.

There are many different costs and quality levels in polishing. The results depend on the talent of the polisher, time spent on the diamond, quality/evolution of tools and the anti-vibration/stabilization technology employed with the wheel.

Assembly-line operations may have polishers sharing the same wheel, tools and polishing grit. Cost-effectiveness is the goal. Think McDonald's.

Alternately, here's a single polisher with his own stabilized wheel, a full set of tools to himself, his personal 'mix' of lubricants/grit and technology to see and check the plan along the way. The sanitary conditions, refined equipment, skilled labor and extra time on task cost more - ironically for smaller yield - but superior cutting and refinement (superior sparkle) is the goal.

ps-sweat-shop-14-1200.jpg

ps-assembly-line-cutting-1200b.jpg

ps-fine-make-b.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fascinating, thanks John.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
cflutist|1411671350|3756963 said:
Fascinating, thanks John.
ditto!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
My CBI must've been polished by Paul himself because it's perfect. :bigsmile:

That was very informative, thanks John. The difference in conditions is staggering.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SandyinAnaheim|1411671785|3756968 said:
My CBI must've been polished by Paul himself because it's perfect. :bigsmile:

That was very informative, thanks John. The difference in conditions is staggering.

I'm looking forwards to this as well (and large virtual facets).

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread!

Will we see a lot of stones starting to come out of China, do you reckon, now they are a growing psuedo-free market economy and are aspiring to western customs (hence their growing demand for diamonds), but still with low operational costs post-setup?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OoohShiny|1411689234|3757083 said:
Great thread!

Will we see a lot of stones starting to come out of China, do you reckon, now they are a growing psuedo-free market economy and are aspiring to western customs (hence their growing demand for diamonds), but still with low operational costs post-setup?
Yes and no. You're on-target with that question: China made it easier to bring polished goods in, and eliminated VAT on rough imports (!) to stimulate jobs in their diamond polishing sector.

In 2006 I posted this, after hearing Lawrence Ma speak at the GIA Symposium.

<< With regard to trade, VAT has been reduced from 17% - 4% for finished goods, opening supply lines for China’s vast population. Even more significant is the fact that there is no VAT on rough brought into China: There are currently 5000 processing units, 200,000 diamond cutters and some 2 million people involved in the Chinese diamond/jewelry manufacturing industry. Increasing demand from the Chinese population for diamonds is already changing the diamond marketplace, with much more significant growth anticipated.>>

Full post: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...gia-symposium-2006.50294/#post-746802#p746802

Meanwhile, China's economy has increased the percentage of their population capable of consuming diamonds, and they are doing so at a steadily growing pace. As of last year, China, Japan and India consumed 29% of the world's polished diamonds by value, compared to first-place USA's 39%.

In 2009 I started lecturing and teaching in China. I've had the opportunity to be there regularly, and the growth has been fascinating to follow. What may be interesting to Pricescopers are the following points:

1. Grading is more regulated in China due to the presence of the NGTC, their national lab and watchdog organization.
2. Internet diamond buying is much different, as nearly no-one clicks-and-buys - read about the process below.

I authored two articles for IDEX Magazine on the subject, which may be interesting for those seeking more detail.

China On The Rise, Part One (Focused on consumers)
http://www.idexonline.com/portal_FullMazalUbracha.asp?id=33652

China On The Rise, Part Two (Focused on grading)
http://www.idexonline.com/portal_FullMazalUbracha.asp?id=33680

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very well done, John! :appl:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
John Pollard|1411690933|3757093 said:
OoohShiny|1411689234|3757083 said:
Great thread!

Yes and no. You're on-target with that question: China made it easier to bring polished goods in, and eliminated VAT on rough imports (!) to stimulate jobs in their diamond polishing sector.

In 2006 I posted this, after hearing Lawrence Ma speak at the GIA Symposium.

<< With regard to trade, VAT has been reduced from 17% - 4% for finished goods, opening supply lines for China’s vast population. Even more significant is the fact that there is no VAT on rough brought into China: There are currently 5000 processing units, 200,000 diamond cutters and some 2 million people involved in the Chinese diamond/jewelry manufacturing industry. Increasing demand from the Chinese population for diamonds is already changing the diamond marketplace, with much more significant growth anticipated.>>

Full post: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...gia-symposium-2006.50294/#post-746802#p746802

Meanwhile, China's economy has increased the percentage of their population capable of consuming diamonds, and they are doing so at a steadily growing pace. As of last year, China, Japan and India consumed 29% of the world's polished diamonds by value, compared to first-place USA's 39%.

In 2009 I started lecturing and teaching in China. I've had the opportunity to be there regularly, and the growth has been fascinating to follow. What may be interesting to Pricescopers are the following points:

1. Grading is more regulated in China due to the presence of the NGTC, their national lab and watchdog organization.
2. Internet diamond buying is much different, as nearly no-one clicks-and-buys - read about the process below.

I authored two articles for IDEX Magazine on the subject, which may be interesting for those seeking more detail.

China On The Rise, Part One (Focused on consumers)
http://www.idexonline.com/portal_FullMazalUbracha.asp?id=33652

China On The Rise, Part Two (Focused on grading)
http://www.idexonline.com/portal_FullMazalUbracha.asp?id=33680
Great links and info, thank you very much :))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John Pollard|1411670879|3756958 said:
Diamond is the hardest natural substance (almost 10x harder than 2nd place corundum), but a diamond crystal has harder and softer areas, which human beings can respond-to by feel.

There are many different costs and quality levels in polishing. The results depend on the talent of the polisher, time spent on the diamond, quality/evolution of tools and the anti-vibration/stabilization technology employed with the wheel.

Assembly-line operations may have polishers sharing the same wheel, tools and polishing grit. Cost-effectiveness is the goal. Think McDonald's.

Alternately, here's a single polisher with his own stabilized wheel, a full set of tools to himself, his personal 'mix' of lubricants/grit and technology to see and check the plan along the way. The sanitary conditions, refined equipment, skilled labor and extra time on task cost more - ironically for smaller yield - but superior cutting and refinement (superior sparkle) is the goal.
Thanks, JP.. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results