shape
carat
color
clarity

Pricing of colored diamonds and N- Z tinted diamonds

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am aware that price per carat of colorless and near colorless diamonds increases over certain key weights eg the price per carat for a particular quality of diamond increases over the 05ct, 1ct, 1.5ct mark etc. But can anyone tell me how this works with colored diamonds, and also for light brown or light yellow diamonds in the N-Z range which don't quite qualify as fancy colors? I am wondering if it works the same as for diamonds in the D-M range with a diamond of the same quality (taking all factors into account) being inherently more or less valuable if it is over or under one of these key weight markers.

Or is it the case that once the positive presence of color becomes a factor then these weight influences on price per carat have less
effect on price?

Are there any colored diamond experts who can answer this?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good question, I think I may have seen it mentioned that it doesn't count as much. Someone in the trade will have to
answer you as this is not normally discussed, as I said I think in my memory I may have read that once. I always find it
strange how a very low color diamond not fancy can look as yellow as a higher priced fancy, must be something you need
to learn, e.g. the nuances or the color tints or even color or something. I have never really read up about this before, would
be interesting to know more.

Kenny buys fancy color diamonds so he may know the answer to your question, although his are of the pink, green expensive variety. Any vendor like leibish.com could tell you.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Pyramid

I had also heard that the weight issue doesn't matter as much so it will be interesting to see if any of the experts can give the definite answer. One thing I have noticed with colored diamonds is that there seems to be so much confusion about these kind of things even from people in the trade who deal a lot with diamonds but just not colored diamonds.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is a great question. It's true that many in the trade the who do not deal with fancy colored diamonds are not familiar with the nuances. For this reason it is sometimes difficult to get accurate information.
Although size parameters do impact the cost of fancy colored diamonds, it is not exactly as "strict" as in colorless diamonds.
For example, a 1.45ct fancy light yellow diamond can be worth as more than a 1.50 ct fancy light yellow diamond if the color is more attractive and stronger. This is possible within the same grade to a much greater degree in fancy colored diamonds as opposed to colorless diamonds.
The same will hold true in the stones lighter than fancy light yellow, but darker than M color.
It kind of makes more sense if you think about it – the price is based more on how to stone looks then some of the details that control the price of colorless diamonds

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Rockdiamond, that's really helpful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results