shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinions on earring settings, please

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I have 3 strands of 7-7.5 mm akoyas I purchased a decade ago, but PSS set in and I wanted some larger pearls. When PP had a few strands of 8-8.5 mm Freshadamas in the July sale, I picked up a strand. (I actually bought 2 to make a double strand, but it turned out someone else checked one of them out seconds before me.) I had the strand lengthened to about 19” to nest with my 18” akoya strand, as the colors and luster are fairly close. I can also wear the Freshadama strand alone, but I tend to prefer double strands.

I asked Hisano to find 2 loose 8.5-9 mm Freshadamas to make earring jackets to wear with my diamond studs (half carat each). I wanted them to look like the Mikimoto earrings shown below, which have just a tiny little cup/plate that covers the hole at the top of the pearl. Unfortunately, PP only has 1 size of mini cup, which is larger and gives a different look to the earrings.

I have to decide if I want to use the PP mini cups or ask if they can make the earrings without a cup so that it looks like the chain just disappears into the pearl, like the picture below. (I assume there is actually a tiny eye hook connecting the chain to the pearl.) Or I could just skip this project, as I already have 3 pairs of 7-7.5 mm akoya earrings (studs, white gold dangles and yellow gold and pave diamond huggie dangles) that can be worn with the pair of strands.

WWYD?

Double strand:

Miki setting I like:

Freshadama pearls with PP mini cup:

Jackets with no mini cup:

akoya__amp__freshadama_nested.jpg

mikimoto_8mm_akoya_and_0.jpg

wss_jackets_1.png

freshadama_with_pp_mini_cup.jpg

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
I love the idea Kay! I would be interested in your design myself for my studs. I do love the Mikimoto tiny cup hood. I like the way Hisano has the chain hanging down from the post, perfect in my opinion. I would think something smaller could be created by Hisano and the PP jeweler. It doesn't look so complicated. I agree with you the PP eye ring or jacket does change the look of the setting doesn't finish the pearl. The PP mini cup doesn't bother me. It may take some time, but I think it is good design, and a good direction to go for a new look for Diamonds and Pearls. I will be keeping close tabs on how this will play out.

Peach%20rose.jpg

Ear%20Shots%20013.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Pearl earring jackets came up a couple of summers ago. I ended having the below made, not by PP. I also had Kevin take two of my blue baroque akoya pearls and attach longer chains to hang on my diamond posts (not pictured).

So I have:

-- one white drop pearl jacket with just two WG links.
-- one pink drop pearl jacket with smaller YG links and a longer chain
-- one blue baroque akoya pearl jacket with smaller WG links and the longest chain.

pink_drop_enhancer_0.jpg

pink_button_studs_with_pink_drip_0.jpg

diamond_studs_with_drop_pearl_jacket.jpg

diamond_studs_with_drop_0.jpg

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
DH had pearl drops made with no cup for me at a local jeweler that look similar to the ones you posted. A hole was drilled into the pearl and I'm not sure of the exact terminology but a straight screw was inserted which then connected to the chain. The ring at the other end of the chain is big enough to go on my huggies but also hides behind a stud quite well.

I like the no cup version better personally.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results