shape
carat
color
clarity

New tin cup- Feedback/Encouragement?

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
So I've been thinking of getting a tin cup for myself, finally (my first ever serious pearly purchase for myself). I was meaning to wait till the jewelery fair in October but apparently I couldn't wait ^^; Anyway, I contacted Hisano with my concept. The tin cup necklace can be lengthened by the bracelet for something slightly longer and the bracelet can be attached as a lariat extension as well.

So these are the pearls that she picked out for me. The pearls on the earring card go onto the bracelet. In Hisano's words:

I’ve selected beautiful Tahitian baroques/drops with green body color and vibrant peacock overtone. 4 pearls are 8-9 mm and 4 are 9-10 mm. The quality is AA+/AAA.

michelletan-1.jpg

I think the peacock pearls are growing on me, but somehow I feel that it is a little too...uniform for my liking, for want of a better word. The problem is, I can't exactly visualize how variety is going to work with like 6 pearls, so I was wondering if you could give me some advice on that. The look I'm going for is something wearable that goes with both casual and office wear.

Also, I am a little nervous about the colors. This is something that looks nice on paper (or a photograph in this case) but I hardly ever wear greens, though I could see how this might add a desired pop of color as well to my generally monochrome/ dark blue wardrobe. So this is also a consideration.

Thanks all in advance!

PiscesPearls

Rough_Rock
It looks very pretty...I love the Tahititan pearls Hisano chose. :love: I wonder if there should be a another pearl added to to center of necklace so, there there will be 7 pearls. I seem to like groupings in odd numbers. But... Not sure if this done with tincup necklaces. Maybe then it will look less uniform too.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I also prefer tin cups with an odd number of pearls: 5, 7, 9, etc. I like having a pearl at the center. I've seen tin cups where the pearl colors alternate in pairs going up from the center, or more random color mixes.

juliebeth

Shiny_Rock
perhaps add two more pearls - a slightly larger one for the center of the necklace, and one matching the others for the bracelet. you might even vary the size on the outer two for the necklace - let them be a little smaller, even. that way the necklace will be somewhat graduated, giving less of a perfectly uniform appearance.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think all the suggestions above would make it more interesting. I do think the ones Hisano chose would look very nice with your monochrome wardrobe but it wouldn't hurt to suggest some color variety in the pearls. Hisano has such a good eye, I bet it would take very little effort for her to put something different together.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I love this, but I am crazy about Cherry Tahitians. That said, unless you are planning on hooking a enhancer pendant onto this Tin Cup it needs a pearl inserted into the bottom of the U to look balanced to me. The pearls look small on the card, but this may be deceiving since PP uses these cards to hold huge fireball strands and they work for that use.

_22307.jpg

_22308.jpg

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all for the suggestions! Hm, yes, I can see where the whole balance issue comes into play. I actually specifically requested the non-centered look but I do think that I might have to revisit that idea.

@Nacrelover: I am actually afraid the pearls will overwhelm me! XD I'm very petite (4'8) so my concern is that the pearls won't overwhelm my frame. Also, I am currently in college so I want something wearable as opposed to a statement piece since there will be less occasion for a statement piece.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
if it were me, I would go for one in the middle. But maybe you can have them make a matching enhancer pendant you can put on yourself that hangs slightly, and have no center on the necklace itself.

I may just be spitting nonsense! Either way those cherries look amazing!

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
michellechan2211|1410624249|3750359 said:
Thanks all for the suggestions! Hm, yes, I can see where the whole balance issue comes into play. I actually specifically requested the non-centered look but I do think that I might have to revisit that idea.

@Nacrelover: I am actually afraid the pearls will overwhelm me! XD I'm very petite (4'8) so my concern is that the pearls won't overwhelm my frame. Also, I am currently in college so I want something wearable as opposed to a statement piece since there will be less occasion for a statement piece.
Hisano is also very petite so I would her opnion on the pearl size as not to overwhelm you. How long is your tin cup going to be? If it is only 16 inches maybe 5 pearls would work for you. Odd numbers are usually used for balance. They have left for the HongKong buying trip so it might be a while before she answers. Tin cups are my favorite.

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
Ckrickett: I believe they are peacocks, but I asked Hisano to see about getting more variety the overtones so we'll see how that goes. XD

4RG: I'm gonna go with 19mm, since for some reason that extremely strange length seems to work well for me. I believe I'm more likely to add than to subtract at this point but we'll see.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I am confused, did you mean 19 inches rather than 19mm. If it is inches 9 pearls would work for that length. It would be one pearl every 2 inches.

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
4RG: Yes, I meant 19 inches. Probably was too tired.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You say you aren't sure about the general green colour...? Well green is classic for Tahitians but there are some beautiful options in the grey shades or even proper blues are possible. I found a few dark (royal to navy) blue drops in HK last week. Not outstanding pearls like the one from last year, but still as blue as the dark part of the PS logo. You might need to settle for drops rather than rounds perhaps but it might be a good trade to get a colour which is right for you
If you like blue, have blue.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
I have several tin cups and find that they can be casual and dressy. If it were me I'd add a pearl and maybe ask for more color variation. But no matter what you decidd I know you'll be thrilled!

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
Well, I've been busy with school but I have finally have the necklace in hand ^^;

So after this posting, I decided to take everyone's advice and ask Hisano to add on a central pearl to the necklace as well as have to have some color variation. I eventually decided on this configuration after quite a few rounds of back and forth

michelletan5.jpg

It was sent early this week and I received it on Friday ^_^ (I had PP express ship it because there was some earring enhancers that needed to reach for my mom's birthday)

PP's Glamour shot

michelletan7.jpg

My own picture
2014-11-08_09.jpg

When I was trying it on earlier today, I noted that the weight pearls were quite substantial- something I didn't really expect but was very nice. I really love this necklace: it is gorgeous and I think my pictures don't do them justice.

Neck shots to come.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous configuration, but we need NECK SHOTS! ;)) :naughty:

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Wonderful balance on this strand, design and color, I would be so pleased. Love, Love Love. :love: :love: This makes me want one!

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! I love the colour combination. Yes, neck shots, please!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Such lovely colors! Enjoy your new necklace! :appl:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
That's lovely, Michelle. Can we see a neck shot? :)

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
The pearls are amazing - great colors! I love the way it turned out!

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what a lovely necklace you have! The colors are outstanding, and are really complimentary of one another. Wear it in good health...and I can say that once you own a tin cup, plan on several more...they work well layered together or with other pieces!

pencilcase

Rough_Rock
I love the pearls you went with! There is a really nice variation, it looks to be a classic piece you will reach for often. Looking forward to neck shots!

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Love the colorful pearls that you chose. It will be one that you will reach for a lot. Enjoy

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all for the kind comments! <3 As promised, here is a [horrible] neckshot: please ignore the dressing, it was well after midnight when I took this picture. It does not do the pearls justice though so >_<

2014-11-09_01.jpg

Annd I realised I could double it as a bracelet so here it is hanging out on my wrist for a bit:
20141109_013935.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Oh, they have such a great presence and the colors pop. Well done!!! Enjoy and wear in health.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
It turned out beautifully - I love the colors!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I do love the multi coloured pearls you've chosen! Beautiful necklace and you will certainly get a lot of wear out of that one !! I'm so pleased that you are happy with the outcome !!

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your gorgeous tin cup! It's a beautiful necklace.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results