shape
carat
color
clarity

1st timer needs some guidance. Diamond ring

cjp

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Finally joined up to the price scope forum after days of readying on here, so much info here and opens up the mind for newbies. :read:

I think I've got the basics understood ( 4 c's) However, I'm at the cross roads and need some advice from real world experts, so please bear with me. :confused:

Ok so in the market for an engagement ring. Pretty much given up on buying locally (aus) due to price difference and positive reports from others who have bought overseas.

Initial wants for ring:
Setting: single stone solitaire tiffany setting replica, metal platinum

Diamond: round brilliant.
Size I'm hovering around 0.9crt to 1.4crt ($ permitting). I want it to look impressive size. However, in terms of real world brilliance and impression is there much value in jumping from a 1ct to a 1.3 say?
Cut: again must be impressive so really want a high quality cut to maximize brightness, sparkle, pop, fire all that. Better half loves sparkles haha. What cut should I focus on. Just Gia graded excellent or ags 0 , or do I need to go for a proprietary cut like hearts and arrows?
Clarity: initially I was looking at VS1 or VS2, but that was before I really scoped out pricing for these clarity stones in equivalent crt and cut. So I think I can stomach a IS1, providing it is eye clean from top and sides at the standard 10 inches 20/20. Like I said above, stone size and cut is really where I want to invest the money, into something impressive. When I have my ferrari in 20 years the missus can buy a large flawless haha for the mind clean assurance. I get these are stones from the earth, so acknowledge nothing is perfect.
Colour: not sure, but I'm tipping I will be hovering around the H to I to J range considering budget. What limits can I go with the platinum metal. I don't want it yo look out of place. Just nice.
Budget: oh yes the chestnut. I would be happy if I could get away with 10g all up inc ring and setting etc.
Vendors: so far have had a look through blue Nile, white flash, James Allen and good old gold websites. Have not contacted any of them. I enjoyed good old golds YouTube videos and how james Allen provides actual rotational images go the stones. Any preference here? I will be in New York at Christmas time, so not sure if that helps with purchase? Better to buy in person? Guess I will avoid import fees here, and can view In person. However may be leaving it a little too late in the game for planning lol

So what's everyone's thoughts? I take it from the above you can determine where my importance resides and where I am a little more lenient to compromise.

Thanks in advance

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It sounds as if you are looking at a round diamond between 0.90ct and 1.30ct.

step 1: Once you realize the importance of cut quality, which you have done already, you can simply take a well cut diamond as essential.

Step 2: try a few combinations of color and clarity along with the fine cut prerequisite to establish where your personal budget will allow you to go. Prices below 1ct are lower per carat than at 1.00ct or even lower than at 1.25ct+

Step 3: Put a weight range of 0.90ct to 1.30ct in the blocks. Then insert a G to I color range with a VS2 to SI1 range in clarity.
For the sake of reality, since there will be so many stones, limit the search to just GIA documents with triple EX cut. If the results give you too many diamonds do a search for 0.90-0.97ct with the color and clarity ranges, then a 1.00 to 1.10ct and a 1.10 to 1.30ct search so that each search is a bot more limited.

What all of this will do is show you quite quickly what your budget can afford. Once you are fixed in that reality, selecting a diamond which fits your desires and budget is far easier than you might think. Let us know how it all goes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results