shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding my princess!

LADiamondHunting

Rough_Rock
Been lurking for awhile, now I am posting. I have used a local jeweler for years who has been amazing with custom pieces (earrings, necklaces, bracelets, etc.), however, during the search for the "one" I have come to question her judgement on the stone. Particularly, I am looking for a princess cut diamond in the 2.5- 3.5 carat range (my size preference borders on the 8mm by 8mm range). I think I am okay going to down to an I color (thoughts?). As far as clarity it will bother me if I can see ANY imperfections, therefore, I am trying to keep to a VS2 or better (but am always considering a beauty SI1).

My major question is this, I have read the depth/table percentage recommendations, I have studied the ASET images, read about AGS cuts and light performance vs. GIA (even EX/EX) and I am still having a hard time. I am trying to shop online because I don't have time to go in person to hundreds of stores. I am having a very hard time finding AGS certified stones in this price range and an even harder time trying to have online retailers provide an ASET (as so many stones are virtual and not in-house).

I don't want to compromise beauty (read: light performance) for size, but on the same token I am perfectly fine with not having the 1 in a million sparkler to get my size requirements. Now the kicker, I am trying to keep under $30K (would love under $25K and am willing to go to $35K).

Any thoughts on where to look (current spots have been Brian Gavin, James Allen, Whiteflash, Pricescope, Blue Nile) - but I am running into retailers not being able to get an ASET report and having almost no AGS0 stones for my perusal. I am open to anyone telling me my budget won't work - but any help on where to go to get a retailer who can provide this (local in OC/LA California would be amazing) would be greatly appreciated.

As an example, the following link is to a diamond that I think has decent specs and could be great, but I can't get an ASET on it (without paying full purchase price just to do so - and I don't want to wire, then refund - although I am perfectly fine paying a deposit). I want the diamond to be perfect and am not proposing until next spring but am starting my hunt (actually started 2 months ago) and am ready to buy when the beauty surfaces!

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/3.520-i-vs1-princess-diamond-gia-1170476di

Sorry for the long message! In summary, where should I look and any tips on specs/ideas for my dream stone are greatly appreciated!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LADiamondHunting|1409128722|3739963 said:
Been lurking for awhile, now I am posting. I have used a local jeweler for years who has been amazing with custom pieces (earrings, necklaces, bracelets, etc.), however, during the search for the "one" I have come to question her judgement on the stone. Particularly, I am looking for a princess cut diamond in the 2.5- 3.5 carat range (my size preference borders on the 8mm by 8mm range). I think I am okay going to down to an I color (thoughts?). As far as clarity it will bother me if I can see ANY imperfections, therefore, I am trying to keep to a VS2 or better (but am always considering a beauty SI1).

My major question is this, I have read the depth/table percentage recommendations, I have studied the ASET images, read about AGS cuts and light performance vs. GIA (even EX/EX) and I am still having a hard time. I am trying to shop online because I don't have time to go in person to hundreds of stores. I am having a very hard time finding AGS certified stones in this price range and an even harder time trying to have online retailers provide an ASET (as so many stones are virtual and not in-house).

I don't want to compromise beauty (read: light performance) for size, but on the same token I am perfectly fine with not having the 1 in a million sparkler to get my size requirements. Now the kicker, I am trying to keep under $30K (would love under $25K and am willing to go to $35K).

Sorry for the long message! In summary, where should I look and any tips on specs/ideas for my dream stone are greatly appreciated!
The problem you are experiencing in availability is not unexpected given current market realities. You are (wisely) looking for an AGS Ideal or a GIA with proven performance. Most GIA princess are cut with an emphasis on weight retention and suffer in significant ways in terms of light performance.

A manufacturer cutting to AGS standards incurs higher costs, which increase substantially with size. The market for AGS ideal princess is limited because the benefits are not widely known on the consumer level. Therefore, the few cutting houses that have a production of ideals tend to put the breaks on at about the 2ct mark.

The good thing is that you are starting your search with ample lead time. With patience you will probably get what you are looking for.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results