shape
carat
color
clarity

Help this gal make pierogi dough

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anybody have a tried and true recipe? I've found some online but some say use milk some say water- same say use baking soda, some say use sour cream....I'm going to make some tomorrow as I've been absolutely CRAVING some. Butternut squash ones to be exact, but I've never made them myself before.

Please and thanks!!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stracci2000|1408579514|3736496 said:
Check out this one:

http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/recipes/r/pierogies.htm

I am from the 'Burgh and we love our pierogies. I have not made them myself, but intend use this recipe when I do.
Good luck! I love them pan fried with onions and butter.
Thanks! That says sour cream too! Hmm. I'm in the Midwest too, we love some pierogs .

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom was Ukranian. She and my Baba always used sour cream and flour. There was no exact recipe though. It was more of a "just add flour until it reaches the right consistency". Unfortunately, I never learned how to make them properly. I helped out, but they were masters. They served them by boiling them first, then frying lightly in a pan with sauteed onion, and sometimes bacon.

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
My in-laws are Ukrainian and their recipe is definitely of the unwritten, just use some of each and you'll know when it feels right variety. It's been a while since I made pierogi with them but I seem to remember the dough they make is just flour, salt, egg, and maybe a little water? It's very, very simple, but the result is delicious... you know, when stuffed with cheesy potatoes, boiled, fried in butter with onions and served with sour cream. Man I'm making myself hungry...

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
jazzoboe|1408585923|3736566 said:
My in-laws are Ukrainian and their recipe is definitely of the unwritten, just use some of each and you'll know when it feels right variety. It's been a while since I made pierogi with them but I seem to remember the dough they make is just flour, salt, egg, and maybe a little water? It's very, very simple, but the result is delicious... you know, when stuffed with cheesy potatoes, boiled, fried in butter with onions and served with sour cream. Man I'm making myself hungry...

My mom is 100% Polish and she uses the same recipe. The only sour cream used is the large dollop that each piece of pierogi is smothered in at the end.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Logan Sapphire|1408586758|3736577 said:
jazzoboe|1408585923|3736566 said:

My mom is 100% Polish and she uses the same recipe. The only sour cream used is the large dollop that each piece of pierogi is smothered in at the end.

See you guys are no help ;-)

I've seen some very authentic recipes with and without spur cream in the dough. But yes definitely some will be at the end!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results