shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you tell if an amy is real via a loupe?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After a life long hatred for amethysts-seriously not kidding- I now want a nice big one for a pendant-big time. I like the darker more royal purples than the lighter shades. I am going to India and will check out some of the local shops. Is there a way to tell if I am getting the real deal-in India? I know you all will say it is not certain without a lab report. But I am not planning on spending a lot and the report would be way more than the stone. Can I loupe it and look for inclusions? What would i be looking for? I know it is a quartz and an be pretty eye clean. But I know -from PS of course- that it can be irradiated. I don't want to come home with glass or a synthetic. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Is there a way to tell if I am getting the real deal-in India? I know you all will say it is not certain without a lab report. But I am not planning on spending a lot and the report would be way more than the stone.

A GIA gem brief is $60 if I recall correctly, plus about $20 shipping (I'm guessing, I don't live in the US). Seriously, the shop owners will know by the way you handle a loupe whether or not you know what you're doing.

My advice is, if you are bent on doing this, take $100 and and enjoy an afternoon looking. If you see something that you feel is "the one" then buy it with no regrets or second guessing yourself - that way lies madness. The best amethysts are not mined in India. At the very least you will get your eye in by looking at a number of them.

If on the other hand, it is important to you to buy the best ammy with a pedigree you can get for your money, tell the PSers what you want, what you can afford and I'm sure there will be some help forthcoming. :))

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Never having been to India, I can't say how much amethyst jewelry you'll find, or loose ammies if that's what you're looking for. In fact, I wouldn't buy loose ones there -- they aren't locally mined, so you'd be paying for the vendor's shipping, duty, & taxes same as buying one here, with no way to tell if he is trustworthy. If you want un-set ammies, some of our trusted sellers are a better source. But if you're looking for gorgeous yummy Indian jewelry, as Starzin says, buy without guilt. If the amethysts turn out to be synthetic in the end, they aren't that expensive to replace later on.

Have a blast!!!

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1406967954|3724843 said:
Is there a way to tell if I am getting the real deal-in India? I know you all will say it is not certain without a lab report. But I am not planning on spending a lot and the report would be way more than the stone.

A GIA gem brief is $60 if I recall correctly, plus about $20 shipping (I'm guessing, I don't live in the US).

I think you're thinking AGL. GIA doesn't do gem briefs.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is not possible only with a loupe. Maybe a microscope with polarisation and immersion.

Quarz is difficult - I would use a vendor like djraregems - they buy or collect rough and cut it.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your input everyone. I was hoping to bring back a nice piece of jewelry (or two :bigsmile: ) depending on my bargaining skills and the cost of gold. I will be with DH and his patience is not so good after the third store and third hour of looking at shiny stuff. :boohoo: I'll keep you all posted.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I cannot tell the difference armed only with a loupe. Your best bet is to stick with gold jewellery - it is extremely inexpensive because you are practically paying only the current price of gold. There is very little upcharge for the design/labour.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results