carat
color
clarity

New Member asking for help re: u-cut vs bright-cut

ccarlitos

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

1st post but i've been lurking & learning... a lot ! :D

This site has been tremendous in helping me choose the right stone for my E-ring.

I've already purchased an exceptional RB diamond from Jared Allen (1.63 carat, F VS1, EEE, HCA 0.8,).. and chose a beautiful setting from Victor Canera: Evelyn solitaire with pave.

The only thing I can't decide is between the u-cut pave and the bright-cut pave. :?:

comp1.jpg
comp2_2.jpg

Which would you choose and why ?

are there any advantages/disadvantages for different pave ?

I realize its a personal choice, but i would still like to hear why.

Either way, it will have a flush stem (like the left pic) so she can wear a matching wedding band (u-cut or bright-cut with same shank width 1.9mm)

Thx !

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like them both but I would get the u cut. It seems like you see a little more of each stone and less metal.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
U cut also. :love: :love:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one on the left.

ccarlitos

Rough_Rock
^ Thx !

i also started polling women friends and it has been unanimous: they all chose the shallow u-cut

one friend even stated that the left one is warm while the one on the right felt cold and lonely.. :lol:

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
Disclaimer: I haven't tried on either of these rings.

The one on the right looks like it would be more comfortable to wear.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
one on the left

Jumpin_Jacks

Rough_Rock
Is the U-cut on the left and bright cut on the right? If the bright cut is right, I like that better, only to have a milgrain edge :) Although I do like the U cut if you don't want any edging.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like brightcut. It's the safest type. Most secure type.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
u-cut is always my choice because it's all diamond that you see. However, for more antique looking styles, bright cut can be a fantastic choice especially when done right. My latest ering is bright cut and I wear it with a u-cut wedding band ... looks fantastic.

redroze

Shiny_Rock
I prefer bright cut, but only when it has milgrain on the bright cut wall so it has an antique look. I own a u cut halo ring and though it looks sparkly due to less gold showing, my bright cut pave band is just as sparkly as the bright cut wall acts as a mirror and reflects back all the sparkles from the pave.

Bright cut, no milgrain. I don't like this look as much as the gold border makes it look too modern to me.
: image_1364.jpg

Bright cut with milgrain and engraving.
image_1365.jpg

ccarlitos

Rough_Rock
thank you everyone

it appears that u-cut offers better representation for the diamonds on the shank while the bright-cut offers better protection.

the suggestion of adding milgrain to the brightcut is interesting (and VC appears to do great milgrain work, too) but after considering the added cost, we have crossed it off the list. BTW I think VC has such a ring already, named Anya

In the end, we have decided to proceed with the left one (u-cut)

it is a shallow u-cut, so it offers the beauty and better protection than the deeper u-cut. Plus, the diamonds are bigger. :bigsmile:

i will be sure to post pics in about 6 weeks !

Bailey_Lou

Shiny_Rock
*Bump*
Can we please bump this? I am also trying to make this decision. I would like to see IRL pics of the bright cut setting if anyone has them. I've seen a band on here but I'm concerned about the way the bright cut changes the shape of the basket. Thanks!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any news Ccarlitos? How is your Evelyn progressing?

Bailey lou: here is my octagonal halo ring with 3-sided bright cut pave. The setting is by Victor Canera.
Are you considering the Evelyn or a different design?

_20854.jpg

_20855.jpg

_20856.jpg

_20857.jpg

Bailey_Lou

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! Your ring is gorgeous. I am looking at the Evelyn in the bright cut.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went with the U cut....

_20866.jpg

Bailey_Lou

Shiny_Rock
Nice.. :drool: Is that the AlarIa with flush stems? I've been trying to see that as well for a RB.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bailey_Lou|1406755793|3723338 said:
Nice.. :drool: Is that the AlarIa with flush stems? I've been trying to see that as well for a RB.

Evelyn with Flush Stems :naughty:

Bailey_Lou

Shiny_Rock
Wow, nice. Thanks for the pics!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm the hugest fan of bright set. I don't particularly like, for myself, any other kind of pave in a band.

Bailey_Lou

Shiny_Rock
Neil,
I've had the bead set from WF and really liked it. I like the clean edges but on the pic at the top the basket looks different in the bright cut. Since I believe that I will be getting the Evelyn open profile in the bright cut I'm trying to picture how the basket will now look IRL. It looks kind of blocky in bright cut in the pic above.

Bailey_Lou

Shiny_Rock
I'm referring to the stock photo at the very top right (blocky compared to u-cut)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Evelyn is a very delicate design. Especially the version with the open profile. I cannot imagine it to be blocky?
The main difference (besides a different appearance because of the different pave) is the fact that the design on the right has a donut while the other one is flush.

_20881.jpg

Bailey_Lou

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Acinom! I'm almost sure that I will be choosing the bright cut. It does actually look quite delicate in videos (and beautiful. Back to stalking VC setting videos :rolleyes:

big_spark

Rough_Rock
Thanks for posting this question, I was wondering the same thing!

Bailey_Lou

Shiny_Rock
You're welcome. I'm glad it helps. Most people have the u cut but I haven't been able to find IRL pics of the Evelyn in bright cut. Once I've made up my mind I will post pics.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the second one much better (from left to right) the second your diamond is more distinctive, to me the one on the left hogs some of the spotlight, that is me though.. this is my favorite setting in the whole world for a MRB or OEC for that matter... you have wonderful taste! congratulations!!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know the OP has made his decision, but it was just an interesting observation.

I was just looking up the difference between the two just cause I saw this IRL. I totally thought I would be in the u-cut camp but I preferred the bright cut with millgrain. I would not have thought. To me the walls seemed to give it a very finished look. And it reminded me of channel set rings, which is the old school in me. :). Another reason I am so glad I checked IRL. I do love u-cuts elsewhere, like in eternity bands, etc. So I guess it just depends on the ring as a whole.

Jumpin_Jacks

Rough_Rock
I personally was a little torn. U cut is a bit more of what you see these days, but I wanted some milgrain so went with bright cut. Here are some pics. It's a total firecracker either way IMO, just what you like when you look at it...

2_153.jpg
img_7907.jpg
4_55.jpg

Need to take more pics now that we're actually engaged!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results