shape
carat
color
clarity

At Home Ring Steamer - Suggestions please!

ThunderFan

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

I recently bought an engagement, paid 20k for stone and setting combined. I want to make sure my future fiance will have some ease in keeping it clean w/o having to go to a jeweler all the time. Any recommendations for a home steamer that works and isn't crazy pricey?

Thanks!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Jewel Jet and like it.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For all my in-depth cleaning routines I've posted here as I've experimented, I've found that a good soak in Dawn & very hot water and a small soft [paint] brush work just as well as my steamer, sonic cleaner or special gels. But steamers are fun =)

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny do you think the steamer works better than the soap type cleaners?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Candygrl|1406756779|3723351 said:

I would never used soap to clean a diamond.

For daily cleaning of my tension-set diamond I use Isopropyl Alcohol and a tooth brush.
Then I blow away the contaminate alcohol with canned air.
Repeat 2 or 3 times.

For weekly cleaning of my SO's filthy, neglected, disgusting diamond I pull out the steam cleaner.

Inspection with a high qauality 10x loupe reveals these two techniques remove every molecule, atom, and sub atomic particle of gunk, even from the parts of the diamond that touch the setting.

Leaving any fluid (contaminated by dissolved gunk) to evaporate assures a film near the prongs or other parts of the metal setting touching the diamond.

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Nice thanks :)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1406757093|3723354 said:
Candygrl|1406756779|3723351 said:

I would never used soap to clean a diamond.

For daily cleaning of my tension-set diamond I use Isopropyl Alcohol and a tooth brush.
Then I blow away the contaminate alcohol with canned air.
Repeat 2 or 3 times.

For weekly cleaning of my SO's filthy, neglected, disgusting diamond I pull out the steam cleaner.

Inspection with a high qauality 10x loupe reveals these two techniques remove every molecule, atom, and sub atomic particle of gunk, even from the parts of the diamond that touch the setting.

Leaving any fluid (contaminated by dissolved gunk) to evaporate assures a film near the prongs or other parts of the metal setting touching the diamond.

Hi Kenny. Can I hire you to clean my diamonds? I promise you I will never hand them to you looking filthy and disgusting. It sounds like you do a better cleaning job than my jeweler.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results