shape
carat
color
clarity

In Search of a Yellow Diamond - Tiffany's or Not?

missladuree

Rough_Rock
Hello. I believe this is my first post here. My husband I are in search of an anniversary ring. I want a Yellow Diamond in Cushion cut. Our budget is very limited. $6,500 tops with setting. I am so in love with Tiffany Soleste and was able to try on some rings. The rings I tried on that's available at that time is a .21 ct Fancy Intense. The yellow is really so beautiful and the Yellow and White diamonds sparkle like crazy. They also have a .31 or .38 ct available but it has to be shipped from another Tiffany's. That is $5,945. So for my budget, I know I couldn't get as BIG with them. The size has good coverage as it's a Soleste but the center stone is really small.

I am very conflicted. I love Tiffany's. But, at the same time, I want to get the most out of my budget. I've searched local stores and found Nathan Alan, a jewelry store in the same mall as Tiffany's actually. They can give me 1 ct, Fancy Yellow in exactly a Tiffany Soleste setting. They have to custom make one. For the budget, they said Fancy Intense is not possible as they have to factor in the custom setting. They'll be using VS2 F - G white diamonds on the setting. I'm not sure of the other specifics of the Yellow diamond as I have to set up appointment with them so they can present me options. But I mean, with the budget, I can get a 1 ct already. Just not Fancy Intense.

Now, what I'm afraid of is, the QUALITY of the setting I will be getting. Now, the salesperson at Nathan Alan warned me not to buy online as buying Yellow diamonds is different from buying white. You really still have to see them as the color varies despite the grading. He also warned me that usually when you buy online, usually I will notice an AIR SPACE between the diamond and the setting. He's a very good salesman I tell you. Very well trained. So, since he mentioned THAT, I've been scouting settings similar to the Soleste that's been bought online. I actually saw a lot of the rings do have that "air space". It looks like the setting was bought from elsewhere and the stone was just put in there. Like, the stone is really not meant for the setting. And no, I'm not talking about Air Line. It's like literally you can see uneven space. Like the diamond doesn't fit the hole on the setting.

I looked at all the Soleste and the double halo actually looks like they're so close to each other, you can't even see any division between the 2 halos. And as for the center stone, it's like it's really embedded on the setting itself. No air space. Do I make sense? That is how I want the custom ring to be! I am just scared that though I may get a bigger stone, independent jewelers might not be able to make that same quality!

Actually, if I push through with having it done by a jeweler, I will opt for something Similar to the Soleste and not exactly like the Soleste. To make it personally mine and have a different twist. I've seen a setting I like in DBL and other online retailers. But then again, I'm scared of the freaking air space and the halos having the "divider" visible.

I've looked at yellow diamonds from another local jeweler here but the diamonds seem to be "still". I didn't see any spark. I didn't feel like swimming in it. LOL! I can also get around 1 ct or close for my budget.

Anyone else here who knows what I'm talking about? What do you guys suggest? How's your experience with having Soleste style rings custom made? Are you happy with it or did you wish you went for Tiffany's? I've been looking at DBL yellow diamonds and Leibish as well. Are they the best place to look for Yellow diamonds? I am hoping to go to Liberty Diamonds as well in my area and see what they have.

I guess my question is:
a. any suggestiong for an awesome jeweler who can make awesome settings that would meet my budget? no airspace and all. LOL!
b. .38 ct Tiffany or 1ct or more from a local jeweler?

I know my post is pretty scattered but I'm really confused and I hope you can help me! Thank you!

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
What a great gift! Have you considered using a yellow sapphire instead of a diamond as a more cost effective option? I've never seen Tiffany use one for this design, but it may be worth a shot. Also, I saw this pre-loved piece come up yesterday. The hallmark looks good and its priced reasonably well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Co-Tiffany-Soleste-Cushion-Womens-Engagement-Ring-PMJ-FP2-/231284624255?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item35d9a34b7f

I'm sure there's wiggle room on the price. You would have to work with the seller on an return strategy. You would need to inspect it, and have time to take it to Tiffany under the guise you're having it sized so it can be "authenticated". If they size it for you, you can have it re-registered in your name and by paying a small fee, they can reproduce a valuation report.

For a larger option, and again, I'm sure you can negotiate the price a bit (although these are out of your budget):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Co-SOLESTE-engagement-ring-fancy-intense-73-yellow-diamond-halo-/221495589876?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item33922a7bf4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Co-Plat-18Kt-Fancy-Yellow-Diamond-Halo-Ring-1-28Ct-INTERNALLY-FLAWLESS-/360898462209?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item5407398201 (this seller is a well known purveyor of authentic Tiffany)

Good luck and congratulations-- can't wait to see what you end up with!

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
What a great gift! Have you considered using a yellow sapphire instead of a diamond as a more cost effective option? I've never seen Tiffany use one for this design, but it may be worth a shot. Also, I saw this pre-loved piece come up yesterday. The hallmark looks good and its priced reasonably well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Co-Tiffany-Soleste-Cushion-Womens-Engagement-Ring-PMJ-FP2-/231284624255?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item35d9a34b7f

I'm sure there's wiggle room on the price. You would have to work with the seller on an return strategy. You would need to inspect it, and have time to take it to Tiffany under the guise you're having it sized so it can be "authenticated". If they size it for you, you can have it re-registered in your name and by paying a small fee, they can reproduce a valuation report.

For a larger option, and again, I'm sure you can negotiate the price a bit (although these are out of your budget):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Co-SOLESTE-engagement-ring-fancy-intense-73-yellow-diamond-halo-/221495589876?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item33922a7bf4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Co-Plat-18Kt-Fancy-Yellow-Diamond-Halo-Ring-1-28Ct-INTERNALLY-FLAWLESS-/360898462209?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item5407398201 (this seller is a well known purveyor of authentic Tiffany)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-66ct-radiant-cut-fancy-yellow-si1-amazing-stone-r3808

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-71ct-radiant-cut-fancy-intense-yellow-si2-gia-vibrant-stone-great-price-r4138

DBL has good quality. Several people here have Tiffany Soleste replicas by them. I'm sure they'll be able to do what you want. I haven't ever bought from DBL but I've spoken to David (the owner) on the phone and he is super nice and helpful.

Rather than limit your options to .3 or 1 ct, I'd get something in between. DBL has lots of options in between where you could get a fancy intense with a bigger size.

missladuree

Rough_Rock
RandG|1405590839|3714918 said:

I actually saw that first one on Ebay. I was really tempted to make an offer. However, I don't feel comfortable buying something that I have doubts about the authenticity. I'm not too fond of the hassle of having it authenticated at Tiffany's, resized, etc. Also, there's something off with the corner diamond on outer halo. One diamond looks dark. It's like it's almost empty. Don't know if it's just the lighting. Also, if I were to go with Tiffany, I like the complete package with box and everything. I believe the seller doesn't have it.

I saw that .73 ct as well. So beautiful but unfortunately out of my budget. The 3rd one is beautiful but I like the Soleste style more.

Thank you for the suggestions! This diamond hunting can be very overwhelming. LOL!!!!!

missladuree

Rough_Rock
Mayk|1405598766|3714957 said:
Call David at Diamonds by Lauren and see if he can find you something in your budget... Here's one close with a single halo

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-yellow-diamond-102ct-fancy-light-yellow-vvs2-cushion-cut-gia-strong-color-r5665

Thank you. That's a great piece! Very awesome price too. I hope it's also available in a double halo Soleste style setting. I like to have diamonds on the band itself too! I've been looking through DBL as well.

missladuree

Rough_Rock
distracts|1405601507|3714982 said:
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-66ct-radiant-cut-fancy-yellow-si1-amazing-stone-r3808

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-71ct-radiant-cut-fancy-intense-yellow-si2-gia-vibrant-stone-great-price-r4138

DBL has good quality. Several people here have Tiffany Soleste replicas by them. I'm sure they'll be able to do what you want. I haven't ever bought from DBL but I've spoken to David (the owner) on the phone and he is super nice and helpful.

Rather than limit your options to .3 or 1 ct, I'd get something in between. DBL has lots of options in between where you could get a fancy intense with a bigger size.

Oh my God! The first ring is so beautiful. I've never considered radiant but it just looks so beautiful on that setting. I've seen that setting before though while scouting on Ebay. It's actually this link, http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-32-ct-Cushion-Cut-Fancy-Yellow-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-in-18K-Gold-/380946266447?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item58b22ab94f That link however, has a clarity enhanced diamond. I'm actually thinking if the setting on DBL is the same one this Ebay seller has. Which means, it's already premade? Do you guys know if DBL custom makes all settings or do they already have it pre-made? It is such a beautiful setting though! I hope it looks beautiful in person. That's just my concern. To be honest, I've been eyeing that setting as well!

The second ring is beautiful as well but I think I like double halos better.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missladuree|1405614749|3715135 said:
distracts|1405601507|3714982 said:

Oh my God! The first ring is so beautiful. I've never considered radiant but it just looks so beautiful on that setting. I've seen that setting before though while scouting on Ebay. It's actually this link, http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-32-ct-Cushion-Cut-Fancy-Yellow-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-in-18K-Gold-/380946266447?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item58b22ab94f That link however, has a clarity enhanced diamond. I'm actually thinking if the setting on DBL is the same one this Ebay seller has. Which means, it's already premade? Do you guys know if DBL custom makes all settings or do they already have it pre-made? It is such a beautiful setting though! I hope it looks beautiful in person. That's just my concern. To be honest, I've been eyeing that setting as well!

The second ring is beautiful as well but I think I like double halos better.

Call David. The rings on his website he has in stick. If you don't find what you want he can custom make it for you.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To my knowledge, all the settings show on DBL's site are custom made.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Everyone- thank you so much for the kind words Mayk and Distracts!!

missladuree- Distracts was correct- the rings on our site are all custom made.
As a general rule- to get a halo to have the right fit, it mush be made for a specific diamond- this will allow the diamond to sit "in" the halo, as opposed to "on" it

There are versions of the style which are made from cast parts, as opposed hand forged. You can tell the difference because the cast rings will be heavier- less delicate looking- and should also be priced far less.
The ones you looked at on our site are hand forged.

I hope this helps

missladuree

Rough_Rock
Rockdiamond|1405620188|3715198 said:
HI Everyone- thank you so much for the kind words Mayk and Distracts!!

missladuree- Distracts was correct- the rings on our site are all custom made.
As a general rule- to get a halo to have the right fit, it mush be made for a specific diamond- this will allow the diamond to sit "in" the halo, as opposed to "on" it

There are versions of the style which are made from cast parts, as opposed hand forged. You can tell the difference because the cast rings will be heavier- less delicate looking- and should also be priced far less.
The ones you looked at on our site are hand forged.

I hope this helps

Hello Rockdiamond. Yes, I do like the ring to be really delicate and to really fit the stone well. That's really just the main thing I'm concerned about. And also for the side stones to really sparkle too and not look like dust. I'm glad the settings you have are made specifically for the stone. I already have some stones from the DBL site I'm really interested in. I will definitely be in touch with you guys as well. Thanks for the info.

missladuree

Rough_Rock
Indican|1405628781|3715283 said:
It's actually pretty easy to get it authenticated with T&Co.... just take it in to get cleaned/polished/sized. If you ask nicely, they will give you a box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Soleste-fancy-color-diamond-ring-/151345488467?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item233ce4e253

Thanks for the advice. I've looked at that listing on Ebay too but for some reason, there's just something Off with the center stone and the overall look. Like the stone isn't flush in and the halos look apart? Very different from this listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Co-SOLESTE-engagement-ring-fancy-intense-73-yellow-diamond-halo-/221495589876?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item33922a7bf4

I don't know. Maybe I'm paranoid?!?! :D

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second ring appears authentic. The serial number on the shank does match the serial number of the ring on the lab report. Also the serial number of the diamond itself is also on the lab report and is lasered on a star facet on the crown. For some reason Tiffany & Co does not laser on the girdle like AGS or GIA do, don't ask me why. The serial number is barely visible at 20x but should be visible at 30x. This is what I have observed with my Tiffany fancy yellow cushion ring that I bought from a Tiffany & Co. store in Carmel CA. If you could somehow validate that, that would be another reason to believe it is authentic. I also noted that the weight of the diamond .73 ct is also on the shank as it was on mine.

The first ring looks off to me too from the pictures. You might ask that seller for a lab report and a picture of the Hallmark and serial number on the shank. I would think that they could get provide that if a serial number is on the shank. Good luck with whatever you decide. Should be an exciting purchase for you. Also the Tiffany box is black not cream/ruby.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
I think you should go with a Tiffany ring. You sound extremely detail oriented. As someone who is also very detail oriented I think you will end up analysing over and over again another ring that isn't from Tiffany and constantly comparing it to the Tiffany Soleste. As there is so much detail in the Soleste and its a fancy coloured diamond, and even getting a similar setting will be a custom job, personally I think you may just be happier with the original.

I think its breathtaking with the yellow diamond and the double halo.

missladuree

Rough_Rock
cflutist|1405656238|3715588 said:
The second ring appears authentic. The serial number on the shank does match the serial number of the ring on the lab report. Also the serial number of the diamond itself is also on the lab report and is lasered on a star facet on the crown. For some reason Tiffany & Co does not laser on the girdle like AGS or GIA do, don't ask me why. The serial number is barely visible at 20x but should be visible at 30x. This is what I have observed with my Tiffany fancy yellow cushion ring that I bought from a Tiffany & Co. store in Carmel CA. If you could somehow validate that, that would be another reason to believe it is authentic. I also noted that the weight of the diamond .73 ct is also on the shank as it was on mine.

The first ring looks off to me too from the pictures. You might ask that seller for a lab report and a picture of the Hallmark and serial number on the shank. I would think that they could get provide that if a serial number is on the shank. Good luck with whatever you decide. Should be an exciting purchase for you. Also the Tiffany box is black not cream/ruby.

Yes, exactly. Thank you!

missladuree

Rough_Rock
bliss_cathy|1405659751|3715620 said:
I think you should go with a Tiffany ring. You sound extremely detail oriented. As someone who is also very detail oriented I think you will end up analysing over and over again another ring that isn't from Tiffany and constantly comparing it to the Tiffany Soleste. As there is so much detail in the Soleste and its a fancy coloured diamond, and even getting a similar setting will be a custom job, personally I think you may just be happier with the original.

You and my husband share the same sentiments! He really wants me to go with Tiffany. According to him no matter how big I get, I'd always compare it with the Soleste because that's what I originally wanted. Oh well! I'd like to know my options! Heheh! When he saw your response, he was like, "See..." Hahahah! Thank you for your input. The one that fits my budget and I happen to try on is indeed beautiful despite the carat being small.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your hubby is a wise man. I already knew that I could buy a fancy yellow from an online vendor for 1/3 to 1/2 of the Tiffany price. I was hoping that hubby would talk me out of it but he kept encouraging me to buy it instead. There is also a 5 year trade up policy if they did not tell you.

I also asked to view the ring out of the bright lights by the window and outside in the shade so I could see its true bodycolor. Was accompanied by two guards on the last request too :angryfire:

I have purchased jewelry from PS vendors in the past and have a project in progress right now but can tell you that there is something special about owning a Tiffany ring. Good luck.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for DBL if you haven't already purchased. I would go to david first if I were buying a colored diamond. He has the biggest collection I ever saw.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a big proponent of buying Tiffany second hand, especially when there is a box and original receipt. A no-questions-asked return policy is essential. I would probably not buy any of the rings that do not have the Tiffany box. I believe most people who buy Tiffany new will always keep the box. I would also buy from a respected designer ring reseller with a return policy as well, because they are experienced in recognizing fakes.

BUT, in this case, I just feel like your budget points you more towards having a ring custom made. I would not want a Tiffany Soleste with a .38 diamond. I think it needs at least .75 to be a decent size. You have about $3500 for the setting and 3000 for the diamond which can get you closer to a good size.

So my recommendation would be to either have DBL or someone else make it or wait and save up until you can get a larger Tiffany Soleste second hand (maybe $10k+).

Be very careful, though, because there are certainly ring makers that make Tiffany quality rings (or better), but it is extremely unlikely to be the jeweler at the mall. A really fine handforged double halo likely is well over $5k. DBL's look pretty nice, so I would definitely inquire as to what they can do for you!

missladuree

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1405723393|3716186 said:
I am a big proponent of buying Tiffany second hand, especially when there is a box and original receipt. A no-questions-asked return policy is essential. I would probably not buy any of the rings that do not have the Tiffany box. I believe most people who buy Tiffany new will always keep the box. I would also buy from a respected designer ring reseller with a return policy as well, because they are experienced in recognizing fakes.

BUT, in this case, I just feel like your budget points you more towards having a ring custom made. I would not want a Tiffany Soleste with a .38 diamond. I think it needs at least .75 to be a decent size. You have about $3500 for the setting and 3000 for the diamond which can get you closer to a good size.

So my recommendation would be to either have DBL or someone else make it or wait and save up until you can get a larger Tiffany Soleste second hand (maybe $10k+).

Be very careful, though, because there are certainly ring makers that make Tiffany quality rings (or better), but it is extremely unlikely to be the jeweler at the mall. A really fine handforged double halo likely is well over $5k. DBL's look pretty nice, so I would definitely inquire as to what they can do for you!

Thanks for the tips. I was actually leaning towards more on getting the Tiffany already despite the small carat size then I saw your post! Now I'm confused again! Hahahahah! I know, I keep on going back and forth. Tiffany's or not? Custom made or not? If yes, local jeweler or online? I actually do like a lot of DBL's double halo designs. I just really hope they look as sparkly in person as they are in the pics. I shall be visiting Liberty Diamonds and Nathan Alan tomorrow and see what they have there. That will give me I guess a better feel of how I would feel if I were to have it custom made. Probably after tomorrow's visit, I'd know which route to go to.

Yes, the Tiffany's is really small that's why I'm really considering having it made. My budget is really $6500 tops. I WISH I could make it go higher! LOL!! I probably could if we wait but I can't wait! :D

missladuree

Rough_Rock
cflutist|1405702066|3715946 said:
Your hubby is a wise man. I already knew that I could buy a fancy yellow from an online vendor for 1/3 to 1/2 of the Tiffany price. I was hoping that hubby would talk me out of it but he kept encouraging me to buy it instead. There is also a 5 year trade up policy if they did not tell you.

I also asked to view the ring out of the bright lights by the window and outside in the shade so I could see its true bodycolor. Was accompanied by two guards on the last request too :angryfire:

I have purchased jewelry from PS vendors in the past and have a project in progress right now but can tell you that there is something special about owning a Tiffany ring. Good luck.

I was hoping he'd talk me out of it too but it didn't happen! Hahahah! Tiffany prices always go up. Whereas with a local jeweler, price is always negotiable. Tiffany's is not. Like 2 years ago, I could probably get a .50 ct or more in my budget at Tiffany's. Now, the most I could go is .38ct. That's why I'm also really considering going the Tiffany route. To get a Tiffany ring before any of their price hikes come up again!!!!! I am thinking like 2 years from now, maybe the most I could get in my budget is going to be a .10ct Soleste! If that's even possible!

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
missladuree|1405699012|3715908 said:

You and my husband share the same sentiments! He really wants me to go with Tiffany. According to him no matter how big I get, I'd always compare it with the Soleste because that's what I originally wanted. Oh well! I'd like to know my options! Heheh! When he saw your response, he was like, "See..." Hahahah! Thank you for your input. The one that fits my budget and I happen to try on is indeed beautiful despite the carat being small.

:lol: sometimes when you are really thinking about things it takes someone who knows you best. How funny he read my post, say hello to him from Australia lol.

I certainly don't think another jeweller can't make something beautiful, I just think that you will have to not expect the ring to look like the Soleste if you go that route, and if you try to replicate the Soleste I think a custom job will potentially cost more.

I don't think a 0.38ct yellow diamond in a double halo will look small! I think the contrast will be so visually interesting, the yellow diamond, then the double halo...

You tried it on and thought it looked beautiful 'despite the size being small' your words, so visually it looked great which is what is important. If you thought it 'looked' small, you would have mentioned it in your first post. I think it sounds wonderful for an anniversary ring.

You have the option of getting a larger diamond elsewhere but ask yourself what is it about the Soleste you love:

Do you love the double halo and pave?
Do you love the yellow diamond?
Do you love both the yellow diamond and double halo with pave?

If the answer is 1 or 3, I say go with Tiffany, if the answer is 2, go with another vendor like one recommended here on PS.

That's my 2 cents.

And if you really want to go larger than 0.38ct maybe keep an eye out for one pre loved. However you really loved the 0.38 when you tried it on. It made you happy, and your husband happy. Perfect!

missladuree

Rough_Rock
Indican|1405628781|3715283 said:
It's actually pretty easy to get it authenticated with T&Co.... just take it in to get cleaned/polished/sized. If you ask nicely, they will give you a box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Soleste-fancy-color-diamond-ring-/151345488467?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item233ce4e253

Hi. Thanks for the tip. I am thinking of buying in the store. But in case I find a good deal online, I would definitely like to make sure it's authentic. I believe Tiffany doesn't provide reports any more if you're not the original owner right? So the only to go is to have it resized or polished to be sure? I'm just curious. When they polish the ring, would they know already if it's authentic? Just asking 'coz when I have my platinum jewelry polished there, it's very quick! So I guess in the case of a Soleste, they'd know if it's there right? If yes, that's great!

missladuree

Rough_Rock
bliss_cathy|1405764035|3716486 said:
missladuree|1405699012|3715908 said:

:lol: sometimes when you are really thinking about things it takes someone who knows you best. How funny he read my post, say hello to him from Australia lol.

I certainly don't think another jeweller can't make something beautiful, I just think that you will have to not expect the ring to look like the Soleste if you go that route, and if you try to replicate the Soleste I think a custom job will potentially cost more.

I don't think a 0.38ct yellow diamond in a double halo will look small! I think the contrast will be so visually interesting, the yellow diamond, then the double halo...

You tried it on and thought it looked beautiful 'despite the size being small' your words, so visually it looked great which is what is important. If you thought it 'looked' small, you would have mentioned it in your first post. I think it sounds wonderful for an anniversary ring.

You have the option of getting a larger diamond elsewhere but ask yourself what is it about the Soleste you love:

Do you love the double halo and pave?
Do you love the yellow diamond?
Do you love both the yellow diamond and double halo with pave?

If the answer is 1 or 3, I say go with Tiffany, if the answer is 2, go with another vendor like one recommended here on PS.

That's my 2 cents.

And if you really want to go larger than 0.38ct maybe keep an eye out for one pre loved. However you really loved the 0.38 when you tried it on. It made you happy, and your husband happy. Perfect!

I visited a local jewelry store today. I am leaning towards more on pushing through w/ Tiffany. I hope to visit another store tomorrow though to get a feel of how it is going to be if it's custom made. :)

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
another vote for the Tffany'. Clearly you love the setting, everything else will simply be a copy. Of course there are always better deals to be had. Custom may give you what you want and then again maybe not, it's highly unlikely to be exact...Would look into pre-owned, but do extensive, extensive homework.

Indican

Shiny_Rock
I think you should go with a Tiffany ring. You sound extremely detail oriented. As someone who is also very detail oriented I think you will end up analysing over and over again another ring that isn't from Tiffany and constantly comparing it to the Tiffany Soleste.

This is exactly how I am as well. Went with the original and never regretted it.

BTW, I'm no expert regarding the Soleste collection or yellow diamonds. I just posted the eBay link(s) I found, but others will be able to help decipher the authenticity.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Co-SOLESTE-engagement-ring-fancy-intense-73-yellow-diamond-halo-/221509298823?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item3392fbaa87

missladuree

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I was able to visit Liberty Diamonds and Nathan Alan last last week. Out of the two jewelers I visited, I preferred Nathan Alan. I felt more at home there if that makes sense. They have a Soleste style setting available that they were able to show me. It's in oval shape though. Comparing it to the halos I saw that was currently available at Liberty, the Nathan Alan one is much more delicate and more true to the original Soleste. No spaces in between the double halos (It's like the diamonds are really clustered together! Like Tiffany's!), very delicate. Both jewelers can provide me a carat or close to a carat in Fancy Yellow in double halo setting and can work with my very limited budget!

So there. I decided if I were to go the custom route, I'll go with Nathan Alan. I also like the person who helped me out there. Very natural and he seemed more genuine. However, after much thinking and pondering and discussion with my husband, I have finally decided to go for Tiffany. I know, I won't get such a big carat size for my budget, but as many of you have mentioned - which actually also echoes my husband's sentiments, I will just keep comparing what I have with the original Soleste. I am afraid I might keep on finding faults in the ring, like the stone is not flushed enough, the side diamonds don't sparkle as much, etc. Whereas my husband mentioned I won't be that critical if I were to get the original Soleste. Though I won't get much in terms of carat with Tiffany, I believe majority of you are correct. I feel that I'll be happier with it despite it being very dainty!

I have already spoken with Tiffany and they have quite a number of yellow diamonds for me to choose from that's in my budget. Something I'm definitely looking forward to! This thread really helped with my decision making, making me realize what my heart has been telling me all along. Hahahahahah!!!!! :)

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats !!!
I am so excited for you ... and welcome to the Tiffany family (btw, you will get lots of email from them enticing you to buy more).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results