shape
carat
color
clarity

Unheated Burma blue sapphire - AGL Prestige report help

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
This sapphire is stunning AN! I prefer the second setting, but no matter what you set it in, it's going to be a showstopper!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful settings! The sapphire will look stunning in either and I don't think you can go wrong. However I'm with you on looking at not bezelling the sapphire in the first dome setting. Could you have claws put on?

Chris Smith actually signed your report so I would pursue clarification with him to put your mind at ease.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
It's a breathtaking stone. I like the vintage setting, though you may find it darkens the stone a bit too much, as others have mentioned.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I love the original vintage setting and think it would compliment your stone very nicely. If I saw that at a dealer, I'd snap it up!

epgs

Rough_Rock
That is an amazing and very rare sapphire you have there. The size, color, the brilliance form the cut and the great AGL prestige report.. As good as its gets in my opinion... All I can say is ...

Wow! :wacko:

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
AN its beautiful! I like the 2nd setting but if you say the first setting looks good and doesn't darken your gorgeous stone sounds like the one for you! Can't wait to see the final result. Thank goodness the sewage problem is in the past. Ugh.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for your nice comments on my sapphire and sharing your thoughts on the setting options. I have not received any email response from AGL. I suspect the message I sent from the website did not go through. I called them yesterday to ask about the Prestige report. I did not ask to speak to Christopher Smith, but another staff gemologist answered my questions. As for the origin, he said not every sapphire from Burma gets the word "classic" in the description. It is only used for those that possess the characteristics which represent the best of Burma stones. Grade of 2.5 for color is considered very good as very few stones are graded better than that. Overall "excellent" grade is as good as it gets. There is one higher grade, "exceptional", which is very very rarely given.

As for the setting, I can't make up my mind yet. I like the vintage setting, but I don't want to bezel the stone. I am working on getting the dealer to send the ring to me on memo. I need to see it with my sapphire and also ask a local jeweler if my stone will even fit. The setting may be more suitable for a lighter stone. I like the Sebastien Barier octagon setting too. I have to go to San Francisco to see the smaller version in person.

There are other options. I also like the McTeigue and McCleland flora settings. I found different versions of the style. Not sure if a round stone will look as good. Has anyone custom ordered a setting from them? I am afraid they may be more expensive than LM.
http://mc2jewels.com/item/9579/blue-sapphire-flora-pave-425cts-platinum
http://www.mc2jewels.com/item/8037/spinel-flora-embrace-ring-529-cts-18-kt-platinum
Also found a version with a rose cut diamond posted on Pricescope.

If I go with classic, LM makes nice 3-stone and 5-stone rings with rounds:
https://leonmege.com/index.php/portfolio/rings/three-stone-pear-shaped-round-cut-diamond-ring-detail
https://leonmege.com/index.php/portfolio/rings/three-stone-engagement-ring-round-bullets-detail
https://leonmege.com/index.php/portfolio/rings/five-stone-round-diamond-engagement-ring-detail

For something more unique, I found this one on Robert Procop's website, but this one may be too bulky looking for me:
http://www.robertprocop.com/index.php?page=jewels&catID=4,16&startRow=13

Then there is this new Deco style halo with sapphires and emeralds. This one was made for a 3 carat diamond.
Perhaps I am confusing myself with so many options.

mc2_flora_rose_cut_ring.jpeg

emerald_sapphire_halo_ring2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AN,
I would inquire with MC2 to find out whether they accept "outside" stones as I recall that they do not.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Art Nouveau|1404977460|3710312 said:
Thank you everyone for your nice comments on my sapphire and sharing your thoughts on the setting options. I have not received any email response from AGL. I suspect the message I sent from the website did not go through. I called them yesterday to ask about the Prestige report. I did not ask to speak to Christopher Smith, but another staff gemologist answered my questions. As for the origin, he said not every sapphire from Burma gets the word "classic" in the description. It is only used for those that possess the characteristics which represent the best of Burma stones. Grade of 2.5 for color is considered very good as very few stones are graded better than that. Overall "excellent" grade is as good as it gets. There is one higher grade, "exceptional", which is very very rarely given.

That's great to hear, and I'm glad they could answer your question. The only time I've ever seen them grade a stone exceptional is on a piece that is auctioned off for someone like Elizabeth Taylor (I think her emerald and ruby ring were "exceptional" stones). Such good news to hear that about your stone, and you can relax knowing you have a top quality stone that represents some of the best out of Burma.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono: Thank you for mentioning that MC2 do not work on customer's stones. I checked their website and you are right. However, I do remember Harriet posting about working with MC2 to reset her diamond when her LM setting broke. Can't find the thread anymore though. Guess that eliminates one option for the setting. MC2 do make exceptional jewelry.

TL: I am very happy with the sapphire. It's just I do not have enough confidence with my own judgement. Now I have to concentrate on finding the best mounting for the stone. A special stone deserves an exceptional mounting, and I hope I will make the right choice.

AN

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Art Nouveau|1405022600|3710767 said:
TL: I am very happy with the sapphire. It's just I do not have enough confidence with my own judgement. Now I have to concentrate on finding the best mounting for the stone. A special stone deserves an exceptional mounting, and I hope I will make the right choice.

AN

AN, you're very modest considering your exquisite collection of colored gems and jewelry. I'm so looking forward to the finished ring, and again, kudos to you for going through AGL and getting your additional questions answered. I learned a lot from this thread too.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
AN I agree with TL in that I have admired many of your beautiful pieces, trust your judgment :)

As an aside, I just tripped over this looking for something else and it may suit as a try out since it's on sale-
A beautiful art deco style peridot and diamond ring in 14 karat white gold. Completely hand crafted, this beautiful ring features a large antique cut sparkling green peridot surrounded by eighteen antique single cut diamonds.
http://www.rubylane.com/item/726095-JWL864/Sparkling-Art-Deco-1-55ct-Peridot

The peridot is 7mm and I see your sapphire is 9mm, HOWEVER, I think you could gain the 2mm from cutting out the bezel and replacing it with claws. You would probably need the ring in hand to take to a jeweller to check this but I've attached a picture to explain. The bench drills a tiny hole then inserts a saw to saw out the entire bezel and thus gain the extra room. Search Youtube for "sawing pierced jewelry" if you're not familiar with how it's done.

an-remove-bezel-from-ring.png

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Starzin. The jewelry making videos are interesting.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
No problem and good luck! :))

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AN, the ring with the pear on the side is just breathtaking. Since your stone is round, the finished product would look very different so why not take it as an inspiration picture to somebody to make something similar? I would favour adding in tiny leaves also.

Shelby1975

Shiny_Rock
Hello Art Nouveau - your ring is stunning! Can I asked where you sourced the sapphire from please?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results