shape
carat
color
clarity

Americans, how do you feel about America?

Americans, how do you feel about your country?

• 1 Worst country in the world

Votes: 5 6.4%

Votes: 3 3.8%

Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 2 2.6%

Votes: 10 12.8%

Votes: 5 6.4%

Votes: 15 19.2%

Votes: 3 3.8%

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • 10 Best country in the world

Votes: 27 34.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1405047752|3711081 said:
Next the Govt should form a committee to study why there is a lack of sense of humor in certain areas.

Sorry. Your joke did make me smile, packrat, but I had my own agenda. :wavey:

Deb

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Like wire hangars, there shall be NO SHENANIGANS!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1405047717|3711080 said:
What I am not fine with is the fact that we make an average of 19-25% less than similar positions in the private sector. Some of our staff with families qualify for food stamps. Pretty sad when they are operating a $200K piece of machinery and are responsible for the safety of the traveling public. Money is not a driving factor for me to work here (I am already retired) because other benefits like being 3 miles from work and a decent retirement. But the wages are not great for those who need to survive on them.

I see that with our road crews and it's very sad. They often work the hardest, in extreme heat, for very long hours.

If I worked in private, I'd probably make 20-30% more, but I love my work location and I'm close to my family, and I will easily trade the money for not having to commute more than 4 miles.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF said:
mochiko42|1405039692|3710964 said:
Oh no.. That would mean those mums would come to Hong Kong to give birth instead if they cannot go to the US ...I heard now that Thailand is a popular destination for pregnant Chinese tourists now... That's a huge issue too here in HK :o:o: :(:(

Well...this is certainly a threadjack, but does giving birth in Hong Kong or Thailand deliver citizenship of a country other than China to the child of a Chinese woman? I am familiar with the citizenship policies of only a half dozen countries, and China and Thailand are not among them. I am familiar with those of one Asian country-Japan-however, and know that giving birth there does not bestow citizenship upon the child born there.

Deb/AGBF
:read:
Sorry for the thread jack! :oops:

Hi Deb,
Don't know about Thailand but yes in Hong Kong, you can get permanent residency (we don't call it citizenship because technically we are still part of China) rights by birth (not just by parentage). Combine this with the proximity of HK to China (the border is one hour away from downtown) this means we were swamped with pregnant Chinese from the mainland. They give birth and leave, only coming back when the kid enrols in the subsidized primary schools. These kids also get the free and subsidized health care and public benefits even if they don't live in HK and they and their parents don't pay local taxes... Sigh.... It was so bad that the government had to impose quotas on the number of mainland Chinese moms that local hospitals can admit because local mums couldn't book hospital beds for giving birth due to overcrowding.

At least in the US you guys have oceans between you and most other countries...
OK end of thread jack. :razz:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
There's no ocean where we need it most tho.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="AGBF|1405044763|

Even if that were true-which I highly doubt, since since during the Great Depression there were more alphabet agencies than one could shake a stick at-it would not prove that an "entitlement mentality" (as yet undefined by you) caused the current deficit. When did you plan on defining "entitlement mentality"?

Deb
:read:[/quote]

http://www.conservapedia.com/Entitlement_mentality

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1405052411|3711146 said:
[quote="AGBF|1405044763|

Even if that were true-which I highly doubt, since since during the Great Depression there were more alphabet agencies than one could shake a stick at-it would not prove that an "entitlement mentality" (as yet undefined by you) caused the current deficit. When did you plan on defining "entitlement mentality"?

Deb

http://www.conservapedia.com/Entitlement_mentality[/quote]

Love that! Thank you DF!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat said:
There's no ocean where we need it most tho.
Haha we Canadians aren't that bad, surely. Lol :razz::razz: when I lived in Vancouver we would drive across the border to WA state to fill up on gas and buy milk, etc while Americans would come up to buy medicine for cheap.

Though I think you are thinking about the other US border 8-)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ForteKitty|1405046495|3711056 said:
Karl_K|1405044850|3711032 said:
We also have more government employees on all levels than any time in history.
That is an even bigger problem.
Bloated bureaucracies that are massively inefficient and full of patronage and fraud and provide crappy service to those that they are supposed to serve.

I work for L.A. County and I think my department is pretty good. Mostly civil engineers who work very hard to make sure everyday life runs as smoothly as possible for our constituents. A lot of the constituents that call in, however, are downright nasty. They often start calls with a plethora of swear words and racial slurs if the person who answers the phone has even the slightest accent. When we try to offer solutions, they get pissed off and hang up, only to call right back hoping they'd get someone else who is willing to let them get away with dumping paint, restaurant or automobile grease, or other chemicals into the storm drains that go straight to the ocean. We try our best, but some people are just nasty and entitled. Yes, you may pay taxes that pay our salary, but you cannot treat us like slaves. If there is a big accident on the street and traffic is stopped, we cannot force a bus to fly over it so it can pick you up. I'm sorry if you see it sitting there behind the wreakage, I promise the driver is not happy either. If you break the law and infringe on other people's property, we do have to step in. If you swear at us repeated even after we ask you to speak calmly, we will hang up. We can't help you if you can't tell us what the problem is. Karl, is that what you mean by crappy service?
Often the people doing the actual work are often just as frustrated with the system as they are trying to help.
I have a question how many levels are above you to the very top? What is the worker to management ratio?
I was talking to someone that works for the state of IL and they have 40 some over them until it reaches the head of the agency and some of the 40 are groups not individuals.
It is something like a 3 to 1 worker to management ratio.
It is no wonder the state is broke.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="AGBF|1405046865|

I say: good job so far, everyone! Liberals and conservatives alike! You have all done good! No fighting yet!

Deb :wavey:[/quote]

Why fight the PS liberals when we all know they gonna win..
Dedicated_to_Ayesha_by_lovexmetal.gif
:lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1405047717|3711080 said:
Sorry to say but welfare does exist today even though it is not called AFDC now. In my state it is more difficult to stay on it past 2 years and you must be in school if you do not have a job. Not so in California. I knew generations of people on welfare and it was sickening because they were able to work but did not want to.
Why work when you can get paid for doing nothing? I know this lady living in a $1400 per month apartment with a lake view under the Section 8 program... :angryfire:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1405054436|3711170 said:
ForteKitty|1405046495|3711056 said:
Bloated bureaucracies that are massively inefficient and full of patronage and fraud and provide crappy service to those that they are supposed to serve.

I work for L.A. County and I think my department is pretty good. Mostly civil engineers who work very hard to make sure everyday life runs as smoothly as possible for our constituents. A lot of the constituents that call in, however, are downright nasty. They often start calls with a plethora of swear words and racial slurs if the person who answers the phone has even the slightest accent. When we try to offer solutions, they get pissed off and hang up, only to call right back hoping they'd get someone else who is willing to let them get away with dumping paint, restaurant or automobile grease, or other chemicals into the storm drains that go straight to the ocean. We try our best, but some people are just nasty and entitled. Yes, you may pay taxes that pay our salary, but you cannot treat us like slaves. If there is a big accident on the street and traffic is stopped, we cannot force a bus to fly over it so it can pick you up. I'm sorry if you see it sitting there behind the wreakage, I promise the driver is not happy either. If you break the law and infringe on other people's property, we do have to step in. If you swear at us repeated even after we ask you to speak calmly, we will hang up. We can't help you if you can't tell us what the problem is. Karl, is that what you mean by crappy service?
Often the people doing the actual work are often just as frustrated with the system as they are trying to help.
I have a question how many levels are above you to the very top? What is the worker to management ratio?
I was talking to someone that works for the state of IL and they have 40 some over them until it reaches the head of the agency and some of the 40 are groups not individuals.

In my state agency there are 5 levels of supervision from me to the Director so I think we are just right. I am at the bottom in as far as I supervise no one. I am in a very conservative state though.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1405054552|3711171 said:

But you guys have WAY more guns. :errrr:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1405055940|3711182 said:

:lol: You are so right... But you cannot know how many or where they are because they are concealed!!!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

but the liberals have more diamonds.. :wink2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1405056216|3711184 said:

Whadda we gonna do? Scratch your guns? :devil:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SSHH DF - don't tell them that the diamonds won't waste the zombies though...

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Karl_K|1405054436|3711170 said:

Oh, I'm sooOOoooo many levels away. Like it will never happen kind of far away... but we don't have that many groups of people above. There are over 3000+ employees in Public Works, and most of the employees are road crews. They're the ones risking their safety and health every single day. It sounds like a lot of employees, but keep in mind that L.A. County is huge population-wise, and we cover a huge area land-wise. There are 4,000+ square miles of mountain/desert/city/islands, 88 incorporated cities- a lot of them contract us to do their projects, 9.9 million constituents, lots of unincorporated areas that are County managed, lots of things that need to be fixed constantly due to wear and tear. Some divisions have a single senior civil engineer overseeing 10-15 people/projects. We laugh at a 3 to 1 worker to management ratio.

A lot of the projects like transportation and waste contracts in the unincorporated areas are managed and run directly by the worker bees, so we deal directly with constituents and vendors. Before the contracts are drawn, there are many community meetings where the residents can voice their concerns, wants, and needs. We take their surveys very seriously, and each contract is written to best represent the needs of each unincorporated area. Management is usually involved every step of the way, they don't just sign when everything is done. We put in a lot of reasonable services that most cities do not include, such as free extra recycling and green waste bins, and yard to curbside service for the elderly and disabled. We encourage many vendors to bid for these contracts, and despite better services, our prices are amazingly lower because there is so much competition.

I personally live in a city and my trash fees are about $10 more a month compared to the average unincorporated rate, and I get less services. grr. I would love to pay less for a smaller bin since we generate almost no trash each week. My city also charges a ton extra for an extra green waste bin. Seriously, don't they want their diversion rates to go up? Makes no sense that they'd give us huge trash bins but no extra green waste bins since cities are supposed to divert 50% of their trash. I see my neighbors putting their tree trimmings into their trash bins because they don't want to pay for an extra green waste bin! That could be mulch! (rant over)

Despite my earlier rant about mean people, a lot of our seniors are very sweet and grateful that they are no longer being charged exorbitant fees for simple services simply because the vendor wanted to take advantage of them. If and when our residents have issues, they speak directly to someone in charge of their contract. Our residents like that as they get to speak to the same one or two people! I understand not every govt. agency works this efficiently, but I'm grateful this one does.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1405056457|3711187 said:

SSHH DF - don't tell them that the diamonds won't waste the zombies though...

Psh, what do you think us liberals are using to guard all of our diamonds? :saint:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1405047243|3711070 said:
packrat|1405045889|3711044 said:
We have more people on government assistance program then ever in history.

I really think the gov't should form a committee to study this claim. And a committee to study DF's claim. And a committee to study those committee's to see how and where they get their facts and do a report on how committee's do this.

Oh Great!
Let's hire more government employees to study the problem of too many government employees. :lol:
We need a committee to study diamonds.. :clap:

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
[quote="AGBF|1405044763|

Deb

http://www.conservapedia.com/Entitlement_mentality[/quote]

Let's break down your "entitlement mentality". Text copied from the link.

An entitlement mentality is a state of mind in which an individual comes to believe that privileges are instead rights, and that they are to be expected as a matter of course. An entitlement mentality is frequently characterized by the following viewpoints or beliefs:

A lack of appreciation for the sacrifices of others. Those with an entitlement mentality often criticize the military--failing to acknowledge that it is that selfsame military, and the sacrifices of the countless servicemen who have died in the service of their country, which ensures that they are free to make such criticisms.
A mischaracterization of the word entitlement. Much better described as an "*******."

Lack of personal responsibility. Just as those with an entitlement mentality typically expect others to solve their problems, they also refuse to accept that the problems are of their own making. Thus, those with an entitlement mentality are frequently unable or unwilling to acknowledge fault or error; this typically leads to denial.
Why is this only ascribed to those on public benefits programs or those who believe in "big government"? Lots of people across gender, cultural backgrounds, socioeconomic backgrounds, etc. struggle with accepting fault (including conservatives).

An inability to accept that actions carry consequences. This can be seen in public schools, where grade inflation and social promotion have resulted in students who expect that they will be promoted to the next grade regardless of their level of effort.
Specifically regarding public schools with grade inflation and social promotion expectations - I think that is a "top down" problem. In my state, the schools are graded and funding provided based (partially) on passage rates. If a school wants the most funding, it's in their interest to pass kids to the next grade even if they are not meeting the criteria. How is this the child's fault? We should be blaming the lack of educational funding priority for putting schools in this position to fail our children.

Arrogantly assuming that privilege reflects on the merits of the individual in question. For example, someone who is fortunate enough to be born extremely intelligent might arrogantly assume that that intelligence is an achievement on his part.
Again, perhaps just an *******. Not "entitled."

Increased dependency on government intervention, and an expectation that the government will intervene to solve personal problems. Upon losing a job, for instance, someone with an entitlement mentality is likely to turn to the government for handouts, rather than immediately seeking another job.
When I was looking for a new job last year, it took 3 months between the date I first applied to the job and the date I started working. Between multiple interviews, background checks, etc. etc. it just takes forever. I was lucky to still be working during this period, but in many fields, it can take months to acquire a new job, even if you're actively looking, applying, being interviewed. I didn't need govt assistance during this time, but to assume anyone can go out and "immediately" find a new job is ridiculous.

Ignorance of the Bill of Rights. Those with an entitlement mentality frequently imagine "rights" that are in no way guaranteed--for instance, the "right to employment," or the "right to not be offended." Moreover, they misinterpret the Declaration of Independence's affirmation of their right to pursue happiness as a Constitutional guarantee of happiness.
I guess I'm just not interpreting this the same way you guys are, or maybe I'm part of the "entitlement mentality"... because yea, I'm entitled to be happy, the same way that I'm entitled to leave a situation that makes me unhappy. I don't expect the government to make that happen for me, and I don't know anyone who does. I'd like more specific information on what exactly the entitlement mentality wants from the government to provide happiness. And I'm not sure how supporting government programs means anyone expects the government to make them happy.

Support for wholesale expansion of government social programs as a cure-all for perceived "injustice."
This is outrageously broad. Some believe in the expansion of government because they believe in big government. Who the hell decided it was because of a cure for perceived injustice? Rush Limbaugh? Glenn Beck? Please. :roll:

Further, who the hell runs "Conservapedia" and created this definition? If it's anything like Wiki, it can be edited by any yahoo in their basement. Sorry, I'm just not buying what you're selling.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My agreement with the definition provided of "entitlement mentality" does not include any sort of party distinction so your comments to that affect do not apply IMHO. I do not identify "entitlement mentality" with liberals because it goes for dems, repubs, and any other affiliation that fit the definitions listed.

If the student becomes used to promoting in school because of the lack of responsibity of the school system to ensure they deserve it, they feel they are entitled whether it is initially their fault or not.

And really you are not "entitled" to be happy, you have the right to "pursue" happiness.

Webster definition of entitlement:

en·ti·tle·ment
noun \-ˈtī-təl-mənt\

: the condition of having a right to have, do, or get something

: the feeling or belief that you deserve to be given something (such as special privileges)

: a type of financial help provided by the government for members of a particular group

Edited to be nicer.... :wavey:

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1405100336|3711455 said:
My agreement with the definition provided of "entitlement mentality" does not include any sort of party distinction so your comments to that affect are irrelevant. I do not identify "entitlement mentality" with liberals because it goes for dems, repubs, and any other affiliation that fit the definitions listed.

If the student becomes used to promoting in school because of the lack of responsibity of the school system to ensure they deserve it, they feel they are entitled whether it is initially their fault or not.

And really you are not "entitled" to be happy, you have the right to "pursue" happiness.

en·ti·tle·ment
noun \-ˈtī-təl-mənt\

: the feeling or belief that you deserve to be given something (such as special privileges)

: a type of financial help provided by the government for members of a particular group

Funny that although your definition of entitlement mentality crosses party lines, the tag from Conservapedia files it under "liberal traits." :lol:

I agree that in the school example passing without merit can create a sense of entitlement, however, I choose not to blame the child but to blame the broken system. How will they ever know any different if we keep perpetuating the same educational system? It's a case of do what I say, but not what I do.

And honestly, I am entitled to be happy. I make my own happiness and it comes from within. :wavey:

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
liaerfbv|1405098586|3711442 said:
[quote="AGBF|1405044763|

Deb

http://www.conservapedia.com/Entitlement_mentality

Let's break down your "entitlement mentality". Text copied from the link.

An entitlement mentality is a state of mind in which an individual comes to believe that privileges are instead rights, and that they are to be expected as a matter of course. An entitlement mentality is frequently characterized by the following viewpoints or beliefs:

A lack of appreciation for the sacrifices of others. Those with an entitlement mentality often criticize the military--failing to acknowledge that it is that selfsame military, and the sacrifices of the countless servicemen who have died in the service of their country, which ensures that they are free to make such criticisms.
A mischaracterization of the word entitlement. Much better described as an "*******."

Lack of personal responsibility. Just as those with an entitlement mentality typically expect others to solve their problems, they also refuse to accept that the problems are of their own making. Thus, those with an entitlement mentality are frequently unable or unwilling to acknowledge fault or error; this typically leads to denial.
Why is this only ascribed to those on public benefits programs or those who believe in "big government"? Lots of people across gender, cultural backgrounds, socioeconomic backgrounds, etc. struggle with accepting fault (including conservatives).

An inability to accept that actions carry consequences. This can be seen in public schools, where grade inflation and social promotion have resulted in students who expect that they will be promoted to the next grade regardless of their level of effort.
Specifically regarding public schools with grade inflation and social promotion expectations - I think that is a "top down" problem. In my state, the schools are graded and funding provided based (partially) on passage rates. If a school wants the most funding, it's in their interest to pass kids to the next grade even if they are not meeting the criteria. How is this the child's fault? We should be blaming the lack of educational funding priority for putting schools in this position to fail our children.

Arrogantly assuming that privilege reflects on the merits of the individual in question. For example, someone who is fortunate enough to be born extremely intelligent might arrogantly assume that that intelligence is an achievement on his part.
Again, perhaps just an *******. Not "entitled."

Increased dependency on government intervention, and an expectation that the government will intervene to solve personal problems. Upon losing a job, for instance, someone with an entitlement mentality is likely to turn to the government for handouts, rather than immediately seeking another job.
When I was looking for a new job last year, it took 3 months between the date I first applied to the job and the date I started working. Between multiple interviews, background checks, etc. etc. it just takes forever. I was lucky to still be working during this period, but in many fields, it can take months to acquire a new job, even if you're actively looking, applying, being interviewed. I didn't need govt assistance during this time, but to assume anyone can go out and "immediately" find a new job is ridiculous.

Ignorance of the Bill of Rights. Those with an entitlement mentality frequently imagine "rights" that are in no way guaranteed--for instance, the "right to employment," or the "right to not be offended." Moreover, they misinterpret the Declaration of Independence's affirmation of their right to pursue happiness as a Constitutional guarantee of happiness.
I guess I'm just not interpreting this the same way you guys are, or maybe I'm part of the "entitlement mentality"... because yea, I'm entitled to be happy, the same way that I'm entitled to leave a situation that makes me unhappy. I don't expect the government to make that happen for me, and I don't know anyone who does. I'd like more specific information on what exactly the entitlement mentality wants from the government to provide happiness. And I'm not sure how supporting government programs means anyone expects the government to make them happy.

Support for wholesale expansion of government social programs as a cure-all for perceived "injustice."
This is outrageously broad. Some believe in the expansion of government because they believe in big government. Who the hell decided it was because of a cure for perceived injustice? Rush Limbaugh? Glenn Beck? Please. :roll:

Further, who the hell runs "Conservapedia" and created this definition? If it's anything like Wiki, it can be edited by any yahoo in their basement. Sorry, I'm just not buying what you're selling.[/quote]

This is what one American citizen stated a couple of weeks ago to a friend of mine. "I am here to get my box of food that I am entitled to." The stranger made this comment to my friend in the building of the charitable group he represents. How is he entitled? He was given the box of food because they wished to help him plain and simple but he felt he was entitled. He had to show nothing to get said food. Simply an act of kindness. I do think feelings of entitlement have become problematic. Why not simply state that you heard food was available and that you were in need please? I also abhor the you deserve it comment that is so frequently made by people totally unknown to the commenter. Equally the thought that because someone does not agree with another that they must be jealous. Really folks get a grip we need to re-evaluate our behavior and expectations.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1405053801|3711164 said:
[quote="AGBF|1405046174.

At the very least, I want a definition of what a "government assistance program" is.

Deb/AGBF

Deb,
I am moving to Pa...why work?

http://www.aei-ideas.org/2012/07/julias-mother-why-a-single-mom-is-better-off-on-welfare-than-taking-a-69000-a-year-job/[/quote]

Sure Dancing fire, you just have to turn into a single Mom. Good luck with that.

It's weird, I have a Mom who works part time as a teacher, earning 15K a year, and she can't seem to qualify for any assistance, because my sister lives with her and makes 20K or so. So when I hear about these goldmines of people on welfare, I don't understand it because I've known people in dire situations (my friend has 3 children, exhusband pays no child support) she works parttime and also goes to school parttime receives no assistance. (TMI part) My older brother in part because because he has an alcohol problem, and in part from working unsafe jobs while not having insurance, has some major health problems. Doctors 5 years ago told him he had less than 10 years to live and he's in his 40's. But he's not eligible for disability because he didn't apply when it happened, so it's too late to file. I don't feel as bad as I should because I know he contributed to his problems by his own disregard for his health. But at the same time don't like seeing him suffer and see my elderly mom who already has few resources support him, because the only alternative is to let him be homeless.

My Mom is extra "lucky" because she lives in a state (IL) where if you receive a state pension, they take away dollar for dollar any social security you have earned. My mother has earned social security in 2 ways 1) by being married to my Dad (1/2 of his ss benefit) and 2) by working 10 years at other jobs. Yes, she paid money into social security that is not entitled to, simply because she had another job which did have a state pension. Even though she just retired, seeing that she will have to live on $500 a month social security plus a lump sum payout = less than 2 years earnings, she will either have to sell her house and/or get a job to survive, and she is 72. What are her chances of getting that job at her age?

So if I knew personally of more examples of this entitlement system maybe I'd be more inclined to agree. But it hasn't been my experience. And personally if it is benefiting elderly and children, I do not have a problem with it because supporting elderly and children is our societal responsibility.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1405101456|3711463 said:
redwood66|1405100336|3711455 said:
My agreement with the definition provided of "entitlement mentality" does not include any sort of party distinction so your comments to that affect are irrelevant. I do not identify "entitlement mentality" with liberals because it goes for dems, repubs, and any other affiliation that fit the definitions listed.

en·ti·tle·ment
noun \-ˈtī-təl-mənt\

Funny that although your definition of entitlement mentality crosses party lines, the tag from Conservapedia files it under "liberal traits." :lol:

I agree that in the school example passing without merit can create a sense of entitlement, however, I choose not to blame the child but to blame the broken system. How will they ever know any different if we keep perpetuating the same educational system? It's a case of do what I say, but not what I do.

And honestly, I am entitled to be happy. I make my own happiness and it comes from within. :wavey:

To me the way to make them know different is starting young with "you get what you work for" and "it all won't be handed to you." That starts at home at a very young age. Wish all parents thought this way but sadly they don't.

IMHO I "choose" to be happy and am not entitled to it. And if I am not happy its not somebody else's fault.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1405104953|3711483 said:
Dancing Fire|1405053801|3711164 said:
[quote="AGBF|1405046174.

At the very least, I want a definition of what a "government assistance program" is.

Deb/AGBF

Deb,
I am moving to Pa...why work?

http://www.aei-ideas.org/2012/07/julias-mother-why-a-single-mom-is-better-off-on-welfare-than-taking-a-69000-a-year-job/

Sure Dancing fire, you just have to turn into a single Mom. Good luck with that.

It's weird, I have a Mom who works part time as a teacher, earning 15K a year, and she can't seem to qualify for any assistance, because my sister lives with her and makes 20K or so. So when I hear about these goldmines of people on welfare, I don't understand it because I've known people in dire situations (my friend has 3 children, exhusband pays no child support) she works parttime and also goes to school parttime receives no assistance. (TMI part) My older brother in part because because he has an alcohol problem, and in part from working unsafe jobs while not having insurance, has some major health problems. Doctors 5 years ago told him he had less than 10 years to live and he's in his 40's. But he's not eligible for disability because he didn't apply when it happened, so it's too late to file. I don't feel as bad as I should because I know he contributed to his problems by his own disregard for his health. But at the same time don't like seeing him suffer and see my elderly mom who already has few resources support him, because the only alternative is to let him be homeless.

My Mom is extra "lucky" because she lives in a state (IL) where if you receive a state pension, they take away dollar for dollar any social security you have earned. My mother has earned social security in 2 ways 1) by being married to my Dad (1/2 of his ss benefit) and 2) by working 10 years at other jobs. Yes, she paid money into social security that is not entitled to, simply because she had another job which did have a state pension. Even though she just retired, seeing that she will have to live on $500 a month social security plus a lump sum payout = less than 2 years earnings, she will either have to sell her house and/or get a job to survive, and she is 72. What are her chances of getting that job at her age?

So if I knew personally of more examples of this entitlement system maybe I'd be more inclined to agree. But it hasn't been my experience. And personally if it is benefiting elderly and children, I do not have a problem with it because supporting elderly and children is our societal responsibility.[/quote]

Part Gypsy - I believe for your Mom you are referring to the Windfall Elimination Provision for the IRS. It is not limited to just Illinois as I fall under this provision also. If you work in a job that does not contribute to SS but also qualify for SS from other work done prior or after then your SS is reduced by some factor. However it cannot be reduced by more than half of your pension.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results