shape
carat
color
clarity

Cost of living in CA

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Ah Palo Alto, yeah a nice 2 bedroom condo there will run you $1M.....prices are really high on the peninsula. A majority of tech firms are in that area as well as plenty of VC's - i.e. lots and lots of $$ running around.

Here's a 1 bedroom condo in PA, 870 sq ft, only $685K
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Palo-Alto/3069-Middlefield-Rd-94306/unit-102/home/1709758

I did a search for PA under $1M and other than the condo above, I found this place and that's it.
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Palo-Alto/3717-Park-Blvd-94306/home/602255

$300K for a condo in SD? That would be hard to find. I would think a fixer upper would be 400-500 at the lowest.

I'm thinking FL would be your best bet. Even with electricity costs, it would still be way cheaper to live there.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this post. My husband and I have also been discussing where we want to live when retiring. We both love the La Jolla / San Diego area. This post has been a real eye opener. Kenny your statement that "one persons decent is another's unacceptable" sure hit the nail on the head. North Carolina or Florida are looking much better to me now! Off to Zillow I go!

Aprilbaby you may want to wake your husband up from the very pleasant dream he's having! Wake him up gently please. Thank you for posting this topic.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
swingirl|1404581309|3707346 said:
asscher_girl|1404580184|3707340 said:
I did a search for PA under $1M and other than the condo above, I found this place and that's it.
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Palo-Alto/3717-Park-Blvd-94306/home/602255
This one is for a contractor to knock down and rebuild on. That property is worth more without the house!

Yes it's definitely a tear down, most are in that price range around here - even in the South Bay. It's good to "see" you SG! We need to do a GTG soon, it's been way too long!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Maybe a real estate agent might able to direct you to more properties or options? It might be worth it just to inquire.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Palo Alto is CRAZY expensive. Trust me NOT a place to retire.

WOW. Your husband, I'm sorry to say is out of touch with reality.

300K will not get you ANYTHING in either Palo Alto or La Jolla. Not to be mean, but the idea is so absurd as to be laughable. It's just THAT out of touch. You want a condo in either area prepare to cough up over 600K.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The San Francisco Bay Area is out of the question for under $300K. Most of the Bay Area is so congested it's probably not where you'd want to live for retirement anyway, unless you really want the cosmopolitan experience and are willing and able to pay for it.

East of San Francisco there are foothill communities where you could get a decent house on your budget, and possibly even a bit of land. These areas are more rural than suburban, and a good 2.5 hours from San Francisco. They are close to lots of great outdoor areas though. My father lives in one of these "Mother Lode" communities; the local real estate circular shows lots of nice-looking properties available for under $300K, both above and below the snow line. It does get hot in the summer, but it's a dry heat. :wink2:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, weather would be the biggest factor. I have grown up in NorCal, mostly SF and then a little south. I love it. I am so very spoiled with how comfortable the climate and conditions are here, year round, I would not be able to tolerate any other climate for long. I was in FL in July for two weeks. The heat and humidity is intolerable to me. I can't stand trying to stay indoors. I can't imagine having to deal with snow and cold for months. I'm fine with driving 3.5 hours to Lake Tahoe for it each winter. So if the weather in FL doesn't bother you, given your budget, and what you want, FL is probably more realistic. However, if you are flexible in where in CA you want to live, I would try many different locations, other than near the major cities and the popular beach towns. Like another poster said, CA is a big state, and prices can range hugely depending on where you are.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1404604000|3707486 said:
For me, weather would be the biggest factor. I have grown up in NorCal, mostly SF and then a little south. I love it. I am so very spoiled with how comfortable the climate and conditions are here, year round, I would not be able to tolerate any other climate for long.

We don't have heat or AC in our house.
Don't need it.

I've lived in the humid/hot/freezing Chicago area, the tropical Philippines and even in Iceland, but most of my life near the beach in Southern California.
Our hot inland desert causes hot air to rise during the day, which sucks cool air in from over the Pacific Ocean.
This is the mechanism that keeps our temp and humidity mild all year near the coast.

I have no words for how this primo Mediterranean climate improves my quality of life, I'd never give it up.

I'd rather be a homeless guy living under a Southern Californian bridge than in a mansion where AC or heat is needed.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1404578811|3707326 said:
Thanks! My hubby would prefer San Diego or Palo Alto but it's Fla all the way for me! Maybe he could send checks!!!

He is convinced we could get a condo in San Diego for under $300,000 but I think he is nuts!
Yes!..
nuts.gif
..:lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1404578811|3707326 said:
Thanks! My hubby would prefer San Diego or Palo Alto but it's Fla all the way for me! Maybe he could send checks!!!

He is convinced we could get a condo in San Diego for under $300,000 but I think he is nuts!

You can get a condo in San Diego for under $300,000, no problem.
Actually $300,000 is plenty to lease a condo for a year in San Diego.
That might even get you a 6-month lease on a cute little house if you didn't need a parking space or trash pickup.

You two weren't planning on a long retirement, were you?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I have friends who bought a condo in La Jolla. I believe it was around $650k.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, I'm reading him these posts!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1404623732|3707588 said:
You can get a cute condo is San Diego for 300K. But not La Jolla. It will be farther inland, near Mira Mesa. Which is a nice community.

But yeah, something like these is a strong possibility:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/9537-Caminito-Toga-92126/home/4854006
http://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/9740-Mesa-Springs-Way-92126/unit-57/home/4859845

But if you are looking at Condos. Be very careful to look into HOA fees and what they cover. Some cover a heck of a lot more than others.

Sooooooo important. Our HOA fee is $400 a month. Fortunately we rent so my landlord takes care of it but if living here it would greatly increase your mortgage.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, I know you said you were looking in CA, but since you mentioned FL, I thought I'd throw out Gulf Shores, AL or anywhere on the Gulf Coast for that matter (Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Destin, Rosemary Beach, Seaside, etc)... all have gorgeous white beaches with emerald waters, and are much less expensive all the way around (housing, taxes, etc). Just a thought. :bigsmile:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy- one of those places you listed is on my parents' street. Small world.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Or along the Georgia or South Carolina coast. There are affordable places there & taxes are low in both states. They aren't too bad in North Carolina also -- especially compared to Calif! :lol:

swingirl said:
I had a friend who lived in North Carolina and during a rough winter was paying $800 a month to heat his house.

How big a palace did your friend have? Yow. Our house is 3400 sq ft, not all newly insulated by any means. We pay around $300 - $325 a month in winter. In summer, cooling runs us $250. We are a 4-hr drive from the more temperate coast -- hotter here in summer & colder in winter.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1404662371|3707725 said:
Or along the Georgia or South Carolina coast. There are affordable places there & taxes are low in both states. They aren't too bad in North Carolina also -- especially compared to Calif! :lol:

swingirl said:
I had a friend who lived in North Carolina and during a rough winter was paying $800 a month to heat his house.

How big a palace did your friend have? Yow. Our house is 3400 sq ft, not all newly insulated by any means. We pay around $300 - $325 a month in winter. In summer, cooling runs us $250. We are a 4-hr drive from the more temperate coast -- hotter here in summer & colder in winter.
Thanks. Your costs sound more reasonable. I think his place must have been old and very poorly insulated. Or else they liked it really warm in the winter.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JewelFreak|1404662371|3707725 said:

swingirl said:

Yeah, if you're looking for a year round stable climate, that's hard to find in FL, GA, NC or SC. The summers in most of these states is oppressive, even on the beach/shore. The price of homes however, is significantly less. I'd give up an awful lot to live in a part of CA that has mild temps year round (I'm really unfamiliar with CA and have only visited SF, Pasadena for work and the Sonoma Valley), so I can't be specific about where I'd like to live, but most areas sound lovely!

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
AprilBaby|1404507844|3706871 said:
I much prefer to go to The Villages in FL where I can get a GREAT house for under $200,000.

I was reading the local (FL) paper this morning and saw this quote: "In April, a sinkhole in The Villages was filled in between two residences, then appeared to start opening again..." Full article here ( http://m.tcpalm.com/news/2014/jul/06/state-geologists-preparing-map-of-sinkhole-prone/ )

Not sure if it's the same Villages you're thinking of but be careful ;-) :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1404660397|3707716 said:
Gypsy- one of those places you listed is on my parents' street. Small world.

HAH!!! That is a small world! :lol:

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
The grocery bag law has been in my town for years. I'm used to carrying cardboard boxes, coolers and cloth bags in my car.

I'm not a fan of California except for the northern areas such as Crescent City, Eureka, Arcata, Shasta, etc. The traffic, crowds, expensiveness turn me off. I live near California and enjoy visiting, but to live there, no. I lived there before and the only things I enjoyed about it were the weather and the palm, avocado and citrus trees in the backyard.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Sky56|1404715410|3708027 said:
The grocery bag law has been in my town for years. I'm used to carrying cardboard boxes, coolers and cloth bags in my car.

I'm not a fan of California except for the northern areas such as Crescent City, Eureka, Arcata, Shasta, etc. The traffic, crowds, expensiveness turn me off. I live near California and enjoy visiting, but to live there, no. I lived there before and the only things I enjoyed about it were the weather and the palm, avocado and citrus trees in the backyard.

That sounds so lovely.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
I live in soflo and summer here is our " winter" but it's the heat that curtails outdoor activities. That said, my husband bikes along A1A (beach road) on the weekends and I take the dog to the beach, garden, i.e. pull weeds, in the morning with sunscreen and sunglasses imperative! Also carry an umbrella in the summer afternoons. Locals play golf in the summer mornings because it's reasonable. Lots of boating and fishing.

Winter is gorgeous :appl: so plenty of what we call snowbirds travel down. Great beaches, good schools (in my area), lots to do. Presence of snow birds in the winter allow us to enjoy lots of different restaurants; but dining out during season can mean long waits. Theatre from local repertory to college and big venues. Opera quite decent, some nice museums up and down the coast, local colleges allow senior citizens to audit course for free as long as there are seats. Airports convenient although they still seem to route travelers through hubs to reach other areas. Some direct Int'l flights mostly from Miami. Lots of health providers.

One thing Dh and DS's miss besides snow is rolling terrain; it's FLAT down here. Each time we drive north we cheer when we start seeing hills! Housing market is way more affordable than most of CA areas mentioned. Sales have picked up and realtor friend says he's seeing more buyers from overseas. A/C runs almost year round due to allergies. low is $125 high is $250 with 4 year old a/c (house is 2100 sf, ranch w/ unheated pool, 4 computers running almost all the time, 2 newer refrigerators). Water has gotten progressively more expensive and is now about $160 bimonthly. I was surprised the cost in CA was comparable. I thought it would be much more.

I have to say, if I had to pay for bags I'd do a better job of hauling out the reusable ones that are in the trunk or in the kitchen! Thanks for the info on CA housing. I clicked on this because family is moving to SF soon. Yoiks on the housing costs.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wordie89|1404743954|3708156 said:
Water has gotten progressively more expensive and is now about $160 bimonthly.
I was surprised the cost in CA was comparable.
I thought it would be much more.

FWIW our water bill is only one forth of yours.
We live in a detached house on a lot in Southern Californian (read, desert) city and our water bill for April was only $23.

We are mostly water-wise, but are a bit wasteful.
Here are our water-consuming details:
We are two in a 1400 sq ft house on a lot around 5000 sq ft with a lawn in the front. (I'm proud that it looks like crap since we don't water it much.)
The so-called landscaping is pretty crappy and mature and sort of survives on zero water.

There is no swimming pool, sauna, or fountain to lose water to evaporation.
No humidification system for the house, but one for the piano that uses under a gallon per month.
We drink only tap-water that's filtered with a reverse osmosis filter, which actually uses water to clean water so there's a bit of "waste" there. But overall using the water that is already being sent to the house in a pipe is WAY more green and WAY less wasteful than drinking bottled water.
I break the law by occasionally hosing down our driveway to keep dust down, and even wash my own car in the driveway, but I do attempt to hose most of that water into the adjacent "lawn" instead of letting it run down to the street.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would never recommend moving to Florida for anyone. I've lived here my whole life - and it's the worst. Even though you can indeed buy a great home for less than $200,000, it's highly likely that 2 months later your property value will have dropped. Our economy still has not recovered from the crash in 2008, and honestly, I doubt it's going to rebound for another 5-10 years.

On top of that, the weather is unbearable. Unless you love intense humidity and daily horrific thunderstorms for 8 months of the year, you will probably not enjoy living here full time. Florida is a nice place to visit and see the beaches and St. Augustine maybe, and then it's great place to get the hell out of.

(I say this as we are currently planning our move out of the state. :lol: )

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
I live in Florida, on the SW coast.
The weather here is fine, seriously we moved from NYC 22 years ago and we compare the weather all the time and about 95% of the time in the summer NYC is hotter and more humid.
If you live near the coast the weather is not humid as it can be in say Orlando. Orlando is the middle of the state and yes it gets hot and humid. Everything everywhere is air conditioned, when we sit out on our lanai, the fan is all we need. Worse comes to worst we jump in the pool!

Contrary to a previous poster, our home has increased in value. As have most homes in my area. It is still a buyers market here and very nice homes can be had for less than 250k.
Homeowners insurance is not bad, but we do have to have Flood and hurricane coverage. My flood insurance is 500.
The thought of living in a place with no warning earthquakes would keep me from California. At least we get a week or so warning about hurricanes! And we lived through the year of Hurricane Charley and his 5 friends!!!

Our property taxes are fairly low and there is no state income tax. Cost of living is pretty low and we have Trader Joes!!

My 2000+ sqft home costs us 180. Per month for AC.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1404759542|3708292 said:
I would never recommend moving to Florida for anyone. I've lived here my whole life - and it's the worst. Even though you can indeed buy a great home for less than $200,000, it's highly likely that 2 months later your property value will have dropped. Our economy still has not recovered from the crash in 2008, and honestly, I doubt it's going to rebound for another 5-10 years.

On top of that, the weather is unbearable. Unless you love intense humidity and daily horrific thunderstorms for 8 months of the year, you will probably not enjoy living here full time. Florida is a nice place to visit and see the beaches and St. Augustine maybe, and then it's great place to get the hell out of.

(I say this as we are currently planning our move out of the state. :lol: )

Gosh, I hate to hear that. My parents lived in Fort Lauderdale for 8 years and enjoyed it, and it's my birthplace. I've been back to the state many times and have a lot of fantastic memories of time spent there.

Aprilbaby, hope you and your husband can come to a realistic compromise that makes you both happy.

Oh, and I can't believe plastic bags aren't banned everywhere either! It is really, really not a hard habit to break. I will refrain from getting on my soapbox about it. It's one of the few things I am extremely judge-y about because it affects MY environment and the world we all share, and it's such an easy problem to fix.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results