shape
carat
color
clarity

Did You Meet Your SO At A Club?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
So I'm watching one of those romantic comedies, and the female character is getting ready to go to a club, and dreaming of meeting the one.

And it pops into my head that I've never met anyone who met their SO at a club, or a bar, or any of those "go meet people" kinds of places. Boyfriends, one night stands, etc., people met plenty of those. But I can't recall anyone marrying someone they met in a bar/club/whatever they are.

So I'm wondering why people keep going to these places looking for marriage?

Or am I wrong and this is where everyone meets these days?

I haven't dated for over 30 years, so I am curious, and really don't know how it works anymore. I met my hubby at work . . . :bigsmile:

I guess this is the part where everyone chimes in and says, :wavey: "Yes! Met hubby at a club, we're on year 12" or something like that. I'm just interested to know if this is an actual thing or just a rom-com thing.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
No. In grad school.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I met my SO at a gay bar 14 years ago.

I met my ex in a personal ad in a gay rag in 1982.
We were together 13 years.

Straight people, being the vast majority, don't have to look for straight people in special straight places.

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
No, but my sister did and they just celebrated 25 years of marriage!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I met my ex at a bar. I was on a date with someone else, so I certainly didn't go there with the intention of finding a spouse! :lol: We thought it made for a funny story. Unfortunately that marriage only lasted 5 years, but I do think it's possible that people still meet in clubs/singles bars/what have you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I met him at work. But he didn't work with me. He was there for an exam. It wasn't love at first sight but it was definitely butterflies at first sight. Butterflies galore. He made me very nervous at first lol. But in a good way if that makes sense.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a club, but I met my last* husband at a Starbucks (while I was waiting for my then-boyfriend to arrive :cheeky: ).

*And yes, Bill was my FIRST husband but I also intend him to be my LAST! :lol:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I technically did not as we were in grad school together and had a few mutual friends in our class. The first time we really talked much was at the bar though. We've been together almost 4 years and getting married this fall so not too far out in terms of years to help with your point but I can't imagine being with anyone else.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ex-hubby via work, and late partner via a car club.

DK :))

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I met DH in college, but my best friend met her husband at a bar a few years ago.

ETA: I guess it would actually be more of a club than a bar. They were both dragged there by friends.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know of anyone in my family or group of friends who went to a bar or club for the purpose of meeting someone, but I do have a couple of friends who happened to meet that way. I met my husband online -- on a popular dating site. We talked briefly through that site, then met for coffee one day, and have been together ever since. We've been together for almost 11 years, married for almost 6. I know many people, family and friends, who met that way, too. I think that's more common nowadays than meeting in a bar.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
My parents met in a bar (though neither went there looking for a mate).

They will be celebrating their 50th anniversary a week from Sunday. :mrgreen: (But....those were different times.)

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Nope! Some people do though.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know a couple who met at a sports bar. Not sure they went there with a thought of meeting a spouse. They've been married for 8 or 9 years now.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blind date...fixed up by a friend.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blind date...fixed up by a friend.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My college roomate married the bouncer at the club she used to frequent. They were married for 6 years but are now divorced.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

No, not the first meeting. But subsequent meetings--many years later---were! And it was such a great bar, with great memories. :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, we met in college.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Nope.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
My brother and SIL met at a bar on karaoke night. It's like a bad sitcom plot. :roll:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
not a club, but a dive bar - we've been together since that night, going on 23 years

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know one couple who met at a club (a high school teacher and her husband) and one who met at a bar (got married last weekend!). I guess technically I met my husband at a bar, but we were there meeting a mutual friend, so it wasn't as random as it could have been.

(The bar is called Bar. Yep. Try finding THAT one on your google maps.)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1403642757|3700251 said:
Not a club, but I met my last* husband at a Starbucks (while I was waiting for my then-boyfriend to arrive :cheeky: ).

*And yes, Bill was my FIRST husband but I also intend him to be my LAST! :lol:

Ha! A few months ago I was reading another forum and it seems one of the Whole Foods in Chicago has a wine bar that is a big singles meeting place. Whole Foods--who'd a thunk it?!

minidancer

Shiny_Rock
I met DF at his parents' house! DF's brother and I were classmates and friends. DF's brother hosted a party celebrating the end of our first semester of law school. DF's brother was house-sitting, and DF "just happened to drop by" (aka came to the party hoping to meet someone). We met there, and hung out the rest of the night. :bigsmile:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I hadn't ever considered it before, but I also don't know anyone who actually met their spouse for the very first time in a club or pub. Most of my friends met their spouses at work, through another friend, or in college. I met my husband at work, and now that I'm back to uni more than at work, I miss getting to see him all the time!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, not a bar, a pizza joint. I met him when I was 16 and he and his friend would come in and "torment" (aka flirt) with me. We played the hokey-pokey rather longer than most couples (try 28 years and 3 iterations), trying to understand we were supposed to be married, but we figured it out. ;))

I do however, know a young couple who have been married for almost 2 years now, and did meet in a bar (well, a pub, really, not a "bar") so it CAN happen. But even they understand that the odds of what happened to them, are pretty slim. It was funny though, she worked there, saw him, and kept waiting for him to ask her out - he wanted to, but was a bit shy about it. Luckily, they had a friend in common who warned him that she was about to give up on him if he didn't get off the dime. He did and the rest is history. A truly excellent match.

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
Yes I did, both husbands as a matter of fact. My first husband was a musician who was playing in the band at a club, we were married for 13 years. I met my second husband at a club 13 years ago, we'll be married 10 years in September and it feels like we are newlyweds.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
We didn't exactly meet at a club, but we started dating after running into each other at one.

I was out with girlfriends and there was too much drinking going on. At one point we spotted a guy with a sombrero and asked him of we could get pictures with his hat. The guy turned out to be a total creeper and wouldn't leave my friend alone. Got all up in her face and was yelling at her in French!

Luckily DH recognized me as a friend of a friend and jumped in to save us. He speaks French and managed to make the guy go away.

Have been together ever since.

But we had met at a few parties beforehand. Not exactly a complete stranger.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
We met at a bar. I intended for him to be a one-night-stand. He never left. It's been 8 years. :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results