shape
carat
color
clarity

oval sapphire ring advice

rares

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I've been shopping around for a sapphire e-ring and am trying to compare between these two options:

I couldn't attach the pictures, here are the links
http://www.ross-simons.com/products/816498.html
http://www.ross-simons.com/products/779283.html

Can anyone lend some advice:
- do they look suitable for everyday wear? Which would be the most versatile?
- the first one has a larger stone, better diamonds, and is $1000 more expensive, but I am concerned from the picture that the sapphire has some brown-ish inclusions. Am I correct that these are undesirable? Will they be visible to the naked eye? Also, I see some cracks in the gold at the bottom of that ring. How much would if cost to repair those?

Should I just go ahead and order one of them and take the ring in for a valuation?

Also, does anyone have any comments on the prices of these? They seem fair to me, even in comparison to what I was getting for good stones in an antique store/at an estate dealer.

Thanks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphires are hardy gems and suitable for everyday wear. It looks like the first one is no longer available for sale? Ring 1 looks to have possibly workmanship issues. Most of the melees also do not look to be well seated and there is perhaps a crack/hole or two in the setting, which would affect the structural integrity of the setting in the long term. There is nothing that can be done about the holes (porosity) other than to recast the setting from scratch. Cracks can be soldered/welded back easily.

Without knowing the treatment of the sapphires, who knows whether they have been subject to more than just heat.

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
If you're interested in opinions on vintage rings, you might get more responses if you post in the Antique and Vintage Jewelry section. =)

rares

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the responses. I decided against keeping the first one (I had in fact purchased it but had not confirmed my order). I may also pass on the second one, and look for some newer, more low profile rings set in platinum.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results