shape
carat
color
clarity

Need your opinions on some Art Deco rings

artdecoshopper

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, This will be my first post on PS but I have been lurking and absorbing as much info as I can from the many experts here over the last few months. What a great site this is everyone's willingness to help is amazing!

So here's my basic situation. I am looking for a round diamond platinum art deco engagement ring somewhere in the 17-23k range. Yes I realize it's a rather large range but I'm trying to allow for as many options to fall in love with the beauty of a particular antique e-ring and if that happens to be in the lower or higher end of my range, so be it! Since I'll likely be making this purchase online, my only other criteria is dealing with a honest and reputable vendor. I'm just not willing to take a chance and I'm willing to pay a slight premium to have that comfort.

I've found many beautiful rings and here are a few that are representative of rings that I'm looking for and have caught my eye.

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-5710

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-6365

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-5612

I'm slightly concerned about the fragility of the filigree on the third one but I do really think it's beautiful!

Any thoughts or opinions are very much appreciated!!

Nattshants84

Rough_Rock
Wow they're very beautiful! I love the first one, purely just love the shape of it, think it looks lovely in the hand shot to...

Think they're good choices, keep us posted.

Nattshants84

Rough_Rock
However the last one does look more intricate, I think I would want real
Sapphires than synthetic (on the middle one)

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very pretty rings! I can't comment on these specific pieces, but you can't go wrong with a beautifully cut OEC in a vintage setting. Good luck with your search!

artdecoshopper

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your replies! Think i'm partially just trying to make sure i'm not crazily going down the wrong path! :)

artdecoshopper

Rough_Rock
Yes good point on the synthetic sapphires (even though I think they were original to the time). And yes, i love the detail work on the last one!

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Synthetic sapphires were widely used in Deco jewelry and are appropriate for the style. They don't detract from the value of the piece.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
my favorite is the one with the sapphires and as noted, it was common for the synthetics to be used during that time period.

sparkleme

Rough_Rock
These are all beautiful! You selected some exceptional ones!

Nattshants84

Rough_Rock
artdecolover71|1399382002|3667167 said:
my favorite is the one with the sapphires and as noted, it was common for the synthetics to be used during that time period.

Silly me!

Of course, I should've known this!

Don't think you can't go wrong with any of those 3!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm an avid colored stone lover and collector, but the one that caught my eye is the first one. Those proportions are perfection. Love the cutting on the diamond as well. It is one piece of gorgeous perfection. Now do you think the inclusions in the center of the stone would be visible at all?

They are all lovely. I sure wish Langs would have a 50% off sale. :(sad

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When I did my own antique diamond search ~3 years ago, I found Lang's overpriced.

If you are open to finding the stone and setting separately, consider contacting Old World Diamonds. They have a large selection of antique stones.

Anne

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
I tried on the first ring a while back while in San Francisco- really nice center stone. Here is an image if you are interested. Like you, I don't mind paying a little extra for peace of mind. Also, have you tried www.trumpetandhorn.com?? They have really pretty rings, knowledgeable staff and a great return policy. Also, if you haven't already, I would try on some rings in your local area to see what looks good on your finger. I found that some of the rings I liked online were too big or just didn't look right on my finger, but after trying some on I now know what looks best on me. Enjoy your ring shopping!

photo_2_75.jpg photo_3_58.jpg

artdecoshopper

Rough_Rock
Travelgal, Thanks for the pictures. I think that ring looks great on you! You liked the stone but wanted didn't you like about it? Too big for your hand?

i haven't checked out Trumpet and Horn but I certainly will! Thanks for the recommendation.

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
Yes- just a touch too big for the center stone. But I did like that it sits fairly low, so very wearable and classy ring. (For reference I have a size 4.5 finger and I feel most comfortable with 1.5-1.8 center stone). Can't wait to see what you end up with, I love Art Deco as well. :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tgal, thanks for the pic. It really helps to see it in perspective on your hand.

BearFluff

Rough_Rock
I like the second one - the sapphires make it a bit more eye catching. In the Art Deco period, synthetic sapphires were a brand new product and would have cost more than real ones. In any case, real sapphires wouldn't have been suitable for cutting into tiny accent stones.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What did you decide, pray tell?

artdecoshopper

Rough_Rock
So...after much deliberation and ring shopping, I ended up getting the first one pictured above! I did love the sapphore ring but after getting the measurements and seeing additional hand shots I thought that a) it was a little bit high off the hand b) very boxy and angular and c) the stone looked slightly more yellow than the orginal shots (though it could have been the lighting.

I receive it tomorrow and am quickly leaving for a lovely trip to Santorini where I am proposing to my gf. Super excited and a little nervous :)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, opinions and advice. It was INCREDIBLY helpful and I feel very comfortable about making an online purchase of this magnitude having had your help.

Wish me luck!!!

Nattshants84

Rough_Rock
Brilliant choice! It is absolutely stunning.

Please keep us updated & have a great time away, very exciting!

...and we need photos!

Good luck : )))

sparkleme

Rough_Rock
Completely gorgeous! Congratulations, and have a wonderful trip! I'm sure she will love the ring.

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
So excited for you. Did you love the ring when you received it? The diamond and ring proportions are so nice. And Santorini- what an awesome place to propose! Congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results