shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT Penelope, 5ct Early Round Brilliant Diamond in a New Ring!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Penelope, 5ct Early Round Brilliant Diamond in a New Rin

What a gorgeous stone and setting! Beautiful! :love:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I love it!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Reflecting the blue sky coming in through the skylight...

image_1891.jpg

missymoo

Shiny_Rock

Tourmaline|1402850828|3693665 said:
Reflecting the blue sky coming in through the skylight...

image_1891.jpg

OMG!!!! She looks amazing!! Well done!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock

It's absolutely fabulous! Woo-hoo! :love: Blingasm! :o
Any chance you have a five stone or eternity to try on with it? Just for a few nice pics?

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

JaneSmith|1402892102|3693963 said:
It's absolutely fabulous! Woo-hoo! :love: Blingasm! :o
Any chance you have a five stone or eternity to try on with it? Just for a few nice pics?

I am away on vacation and didn't bring any other rings with me, because I really love it best by itself! I'm trying to embrace the idea of looking perpetually engaged, haha!

My husband, my mom and three of our kids are at the beach now, and my daughter and I are lounging at the pool (ok, she's swimming and I'm lounging) on the bay side. :)

image_1898.jpg

image_1899.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

This is a nice image of my hand and my mom's hand, neither of us wearing wedding bands, even though both of us are looong-married, haha!

image_1900.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Beach.

image_1901.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock

Your remount is amazing! May I please ask who your jeweler is?

Lori

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

loriken214|1402967319|3694636 said:
Your remount is amazing! May I please ask who your jeweler is?

Lori

After not hearing back from Adam at OWD and not feeling like I could have enough input with Victor Canera, I had it made by the same company that made my first setting. There was quite a lot of back and forth and it wasn't necessarily easy communication, but I like the result a lot. They use a really strong platinum alloy. It was set by someone on 47th st in NYC.

If you'd like the contact info for the maker of the ring, message me through this listing on Loupe Troop:

http://loupetroop.com/listings/necklaces-and-pendants/100-carats-sapphire-rainbow-briolettes-necklace-18k-clasp-and-chain

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Pool light bulb and beach fire :)

penelope-pool.jpg

penelope-beachfire.jpg

Zarina

Rough_Rock

Your ring is really lovely......beyond lovely, but I have a question.
I just read a post by a fellow that was trying to design a ring for his fiance, based on a design by Love Affair Diamonds called the Julia Solitaire. He made it quite clear that he wanted to vary the design and tweak it to his liking.
The overwhelming response to his query was that he was was working on a "copy" and that it was unethical. Everyone was very polite, and his response was equally so, but it was very clear that this was not acceptable.
In this instance Penelope is set into the identical setting that appears in another post ..... the link to the original post is actually listed earlier.
Is it because the Julia solitaire was made by a designer, and the new setting for Penelope has been copied from, what was, an antique setting, that one is frowned upon, and the other not?
Therefore.....years down the road, when my friend owns a lovely (then) vintage solitaire, that I admire (that neither of us know the origin of) it will be perfectly OK to make an identical copy?
I am genuinely curious and would like to know the reasons behind the two viewpoints.....thanks!

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock

WOW! I think the shot of her reflecting the sky is my favorite... or maybe the one with some fire... fantastic ring! :love:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Zarina|1403050314|3695350 said:
Your ring is really lovely......beyond lovely, but I have a question.
I just read a post by a fellow that was trying to design a ring for his fiance, based on a design by Love Affair Diamonds called the Julia Solitaire. He made it quite clear that he wanted to vary the design and tweak it to his liking.
The overwhelming response to his query was that he was was working on a "copy" and that it was unethical. Everyone was very polite, and his response was equally so, but it was very clear that this was not acceptable.
In this instance Penelope is set into the identical setting that appears in another post ..... the link to the original post is actually listed earlier.
Is it because the Julia solitaire was made by a designer, and the new setting for Penelope has been copied from, what was, an antique setting, that one is frowned upon, and the other not?
Therefore.....years down the road, when my friend owns a lovely (then) vintage solitaire, that I admire (that neither of us know the origin of) it will be perfectly OK to make an identical copy?
I am genuinely curious and would like to know the reasons behind the two viewpoints.....thanks!

Yes, it's a totally different thing to copy a current designer's ring vs. an antique one. I think it is unlikely that a current ring would become anonymous, though, as designs are well- documented now.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Oh my gosh, I love it in the new solitaire setting. Perfect choice. Such a beautiful ring, congrats!

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock

I'm so silly. I opened this thread last weekend and showed my husband and mother in law. "Look a ring just like mine. Its practically identical!" Happened to reopen it today and realise... Derrr, she's linked my thread!

I loved my setting from the moment Adam pulled it out of his drawer. I can only guess what other treasures he has hiding in there. Id love to have a rummage.

Zarina: i certainly can't complain! I can't take credit for the design and i think its a romantic take on a very classic design. Maybe the difference is that the designer of my ring is no longer around to get upset that his/her design has been copied? And maybe its unethical to copy a design that is currently in production by one designer and gave it made (possibly cheaper) by someone else? The ethical choice would be to organise the 'tweaks' with the original designer.

Tourmaline: shes beautiful! I can't fault your taste! I feel i should name my ring now that she has a big sister :razz:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hello, hippi_pixi! I'm so glad you commented! Have you had any issues with thin prongs? I was in love with your ring from the moment I saw it! Yours has details that mine doesn't, but I love mine, too. :)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tourmaline, I just came back to take another look at your gorgeous ring. The sun pictures are incredible. Just beautiful!! Thank you for sharing them.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock

Oh wow, love the new setting, you are right, it flows so much better, the simplicity really highlights the stone, and it looks (to me) a little more wearable too! Sometimes less is more, and your new ring is just divine!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Yes, it is SO much more wearable! I do worry about the prongs a little because they are tiny and pointed, but I love the appearance! And it's set a bit lower than it was, which I like. I never see contrast with other stones (because there aren't any), and I love it in all lighting conditions. I'm so glad I did it!!

In the shade by the pool...

image_1917.jpg

And a close-up of the colors:

image_1918.jpg

In the car:

image_1919.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just can't stop looking at your ring!!! It indeed flows much better. It's very chique :love:
Great decision Tourmaline!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Acinom|1403275508|3697231 said:
I just can't stop looking at your ring!!! It indeed flows much better. It's very chique :love:
Great decision Tourmaline!

Thank you! :)

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock

Gorgeous! Congrats on your new setting! (I loved the old setting too, you have great taste) :appl:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I love my ring in all lighting conditions now, without whiter melee competing with my diamond. It's such a nice change! Yesterday at a pool party, a friend of mine said my ring is the prettiest ring she's ever seen and that I better watch out or she'll steal it off of my finger. Hee hee. :) :) :)

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tourmaline.. your ring is MAGICAL!!! :appl:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I put my (non-Tiffany) ring in a Tiffany & Co box, hee hee.

penelope-tiffany-box.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Diamond ring in lambswool, far and closer...

image_2075.jpg

image_2076.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

And another

image_2078.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Another couple of pictures...

penelope-ring-underside.jpg

penelope-bigcrystal.jpg

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock

Tourmaline, Thanks for posting to my thread. . . mine could be penelope's little brother! I wonder if you got any history on yours when you purchased it??!! I was amazed to learn that my stone was purchased and set in the early 20s and hasn't been touched since. More modern looking than I would have expected that early. . . but then Tolkowsky was writing about standards that had already been put in to practice. . .

_19101_0.jpg _19505_0.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results