shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me figure out a setting for inherited antique diamond

Hazey

Rough_Rock
I have inherited an approximately 1 carat round transitional cut diamond. SI1, color I/J, approximately 6.48 x 6.56 x 3.80 mm measurements. Its previous family owner had it set in a terribly cheap silver pendant necklace setting that now has a broken clasp. I do not feel safe wearing this heirloom as a necklace and would like to put it into a right hand ring that can be loved and enjoyed. My engagement ring and band are white gold, the main diamond is a 2 ct radiant cut with sapphire and diamond sidestones. I am thinking I would like to put it into a vintage style setting, but I am conflicted about what would be best. I believe this stone is from the early 1900s, perhaps someone else can chime in with what setting would be appropriate for a stone of this age?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Re: Help me figure out a setting for inherited antique diamo

Hi Hazey, can you pop up a picture of the diamond? As close up as you can get it :)

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock

What about a lovely 3 stone with old cuts like Logan's 5 stone? Or a "daisy" style cluster ring?

_18940.jpg

Hazey

Rough_Rock

I will try to get a picture and post, perhaps you experts can provide more info on the cut. I'm really thinking some kind of single stone setting, but I want it to be appropriate to the time period the stone is from.

missymoo

Shiny_Rock

I would get it sent to GIA to be certed before having it set. I'm also a fan of putting it in an inexpensive solitaire setting while you learn it's "habits and moods"....Then you can troll ebay, LT and DB for second hand settings that fit. I would love to see a picture!

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock

missymoo|1402164902|3688509 said:
I would get it sent to GIA to be certed before having it set. I'm also a fan of putting it in an inexpensive solitaire setting while you learn it's "habits and moods"....Then you can troll ebay, LT and DB for second hand settings that fit. I would love to see a picture!

This is great advice!

Hazey

Rough_Rock

My camera is charging, pics are coming! Why get it certified if I never anticipate selling it? I did get an appraisal for insurance purposes, but I don't need a certification unless there's some reason I don't know of?

Hazey

Rough_Rock

Let's try some pictures! Maybe some of you antique pros can give me some more info on the cut? The only way I can describe it is very "checkered". Era appropriate settings?

hazey001-1.jpg

hazey002-2.jpg

hazey003-3.jpg

hazey004-4.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results