shape
carat
color
clarity

Corporate Downsizing... Oh... Oh... It may not be… so bad

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I don't post much (I do read a lot). I thought you would be interested in what is happening in my life - and how am using a different approach.

"In order to increase our competiveness in the future we are implementing Project Momentum to streamline operations of our various plants and corporate structure." I think that was the wording of the first message.

25% of Engineering at my plant is being cut - including me. "You're position will not exist on the new Organization Chart for 2015." Months later they have yet to tell me who is going to do any of the actual work I do; which is regulatory driven. I do have a job for the remainder of the year (I think).

I was offered a corporate job in Florida; to run the programs for all 8 plants - as a collateral duty. But Florida is out for other reasons even if I wanted the job; which I don't.

Since I am different (I believe those of you who know me would agree I am different); I started thinking. So, instead of the old job hunt - applying for jobs. Having to move to another state and starting over in another Plant (and my age is up there...); I thought - OK what do I want to do.

What I want to do is:
1) Not move.
2) Work from home with limited travel.
3) Work about half time largely at my choice of hours.
4) Make the same amount of money (low 6 figure income).

I called my contact list and explained what was happening, what I wanted to do, and asked was it plausible, and if so how. No one laughed - and most of them said "Of course" (a few prefaced that with for most people no - but for you it is); and here is how to do it...

The only person who laughed was with HR at my company when I told her the nature of my "Opportunity" search. She almost fell out of her chair laughing at my base criteria with added comments of "yeah, that will be the day..." "that can't exist" and other encouraging words. Then she went pale when I responded that she was in fact the first person out of perhaps a dozen people in the industry who laughed at that concept; and I was seriously pursuing that kind of opportunity.

I had my first telephone interview today. It went well; very well. Nothing in concrete yet - and there will be more phone calls. But, ... I feel really good right now. I do believe that getting downsized may be the best thing that ever happened to me.

I have about 20 current co-workers who are struggling with what in the world are they going to do (it's not like there are any other $75-$100K jobs in the area for them); or that they do not wish to move their family to where the other nuclear plants are.

What a difference attitude and approach can make. When god closes a door there is always an open window somewhere; but, its up to us to look for that window.

Have a great day,

Perry

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock
Re: Corporate Downsizing... Oh... Oh... It may not be… so

Dust to you and your co-workers. Hope this next chapter is even better for you.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So awesome, Perry! You deserve everything that comes your way because you are making it a reality! :appl: :appl:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for sharing!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is awesome Perry!! Kudos to you for having the courage to make it happen. It sounds like you're headed in the right direction. And since you have a job through the end of the year, you'll have plenty of time. Watch. You may even get your next career squared away so soon that you will have to decide whether you will take any unemployment, or whether you'll resign from your current job.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Perry, you have and will always find a way. Good for you and my best to you and Mrs. P.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

All the best to you!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks all - I appreciate the comments.

I am sure I will do well. I do worry about my co-workers; but, many of them are locked into the "job" mentality, that they can only work a conventional job - and are desperately looking at job postings. Project Momentum was actually announced last summer - but details of implementation (and how many jobs where) was more recent. I figure that the company gave me about 10 months notice of their intent. If I cannot figure out something with that much notice... I cannot blame the company.

As for my approach: I have not looked at a single job posting outside of the plant (I did watch the ones at the plant in case a job opened up that I actually wanted to do); instead I focused on what I would like to do professionally and personally. Then looked to see how to find or set up something like that. The phone interview was with a company that had not even posted a job opening; and they would create a position for me if everything works out. I specifically contacted one of the company owners with a "let's talk about if I can help you expand your business" approach.

I am in informal discussions with others about how I might be able to help them; and have identified another company where I can use the same approach I used above with my initial contact (I am still researching them before I contact them). I also have other options in my plan A,B,C,D,E,F,G, etc bag (and winning Publishers Clearing House, and someone from PriceScope giving me gobs of $ are on that long list).

LLJsmom (and others thinking that I should move on before being "terminated": Resigning is the last thing I want to do. The separation package includes 3 weeks pay for every year I have worked there (13 years) if they hold to the current schedule; and they put you on "paid administrative leave" for the last month (or so) to look for a job. There are also some long term health care benefits available if I wait (not sure I will need to use those long term - but I figure its an option to keep open). 39 weeks pay + the other items are worth waiting for. There is talk they will keep some of us for another month or so into the next year. If they keep me 2.5 weeks I will have another year of time in service (and another 3 weeks of pay). Even if I immediately have another position set up - having the separation money will be very useful.

Life is worth living if you do it right,

Perry

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Perry, I am sending you and the Mrs. lots of good thoughts and wishes. You are so right-sometimes events like these are blessings in disguise. Something similar happened in our life a number of years ago and it improved our lives for the better. You have a great attitude and know how to make the best of opportunity and I know you have great things coming your way. :appl:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Good for you for thinking outside of the box Perry! Best of luck to you as you pursue this endeavor!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ironic they named it "Project Momentum." Really? I mean REALLY?!! :roll:

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium

It's funny, when I stopped working a few years ago to stay home for a while with my kids, I said basically the same thing: If I could work limited hours, from home, on my own schedule and make (when calculated on an hourly basis) the same as what I made before, that's a job I would take.

People scoffed at the idea. And then a couple of years into staying at home, I got exactly the kind of job that I said I would take. I see so many of my acquaintances saying that's what they want to do, but without the experience and skills to really make it happen or the perseverance to hold out for their dream job. Sounds like you have all of those things, and I think you'll be very successful in finding what you want!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's good to see you Perry! I wish you the very best of luck with your new venture, I know you will be successful as you deserve to be! :wavey:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Perry I can tell from your posts you are a very smart person, obviously have a unique skill set, and if you are interested in a problem you delve deeply into the issue to solve it. I think it's great that you are thinking out of the box to see what opportunities are "out there". I think right now I am actually kind of attached to a regular office job, but can imagine in another 10 years being open to something different.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Perry, good to see you!
and good to see you making lemonade out of lemons....
personally? I like lemonade way more than the original lemon!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wish you all the best..I recently went thru the same thing..but I did not make the cut this time...but not sure I will the next time, I hope when the time comes I can have the wonderful attitude that you have!! Good luck in your search!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Lorelei|1401387775|3682556 said:
It's good to see you Perry! I wish you the very best of luck with your new venture, I know you will be successful as you deserve to be! :wavey:
Well said and ditto.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks all, and so nice to hear from many of people I used to have such great discussions or debates with. Your support is appreciated.

minousbijoux|1401379656|3682462 said:
Ironic they named it "Project Momentum." Really? I mean REALLY?!! :roll:

But of course, "Project Momentum". I believe that the most common observations among us engineers is that a sinking ship has momentum too....; and is sure hard to turn around.

Have a great day,

Perry

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results