shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Supernovas / Rovals in Calibrated Settings?

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Anyone have any experience setting supernova ovals or rovals into calibrated settings? I'm looking at a Barry Bridgestock supernova oval that measures 6.8mm x 8.0mm (no depth given, but I assume it won't be a problem). Wondering whether it would fit into a 7 x 9 calibrated setting. Thanks for any advice!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If the setting that you have in mind has an upper rail holding the prongs together, then you are better off going with a round setting that is the same or slightly smaller than the length of the stone. The upper rail on baskets really limits how far the prongs can be moved without them looking weird.

For settings which do not have a rail you can use any shape of setting and nearly any size which is close, (within 2mm). This advice does hinge a little on how deep the stone is since really deep stones would need a larger setting, which would then have the prongs bent inwards a bit, (this is because larger settings have longer prongs and can accommodate deeper stones).

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tried setting mine in a slightly used setting. It had to have the prongs rebuilt because the stone was too deep for the setting. Supernovas are actually quite deep.

supernova_cut_1.png

_18736.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had to set rovals into a custom setting because it just didn't look right (too large, too small or too gappy).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So theoretical question here (and not sure I'm any help to you, Tara :oops: ). I get why you would ask the question for rovals or for non-calibrated ovals in general, but what makes a supernova different that you call that out especially? Is it because as Freke pointed out, they tend to be deeper or that their bottom is shaped differently? I'm curious and trying to understand so thanks! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results