shape
carat
color
clarity

Fishtail setting? What do you think?

PickieBee

Rough_Rock
I am using the 1920s ring pictured below as the inspiration for my custom engagement ring. I have never actually seen a fishtail setting in real life but this ring has just captivated me. After much back-and-forth between platinum vs. white gold I've finally settled on white gold. I would like to find a K colored diamond for that warm, old-fashioned feel.

Would you go with an OEC or more modern cut?
Will a K colored diamond (1 carat or less) look yellow in white gold, or give me the antique-y warm look that I'm going for?
Thoughts on the fishtail setting?
What do you think of this ring?!
Would a wedding band be good with it, or should it be worn alone?

Thanks!

art_deco_4.jpg

art_deco_0.jpg

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the fishtail setting...the one you show is lovely.
(I am a but biased - my grandmother's 3 stone is in a fishtail and it's always been my standard comparison.)
I also have really come to prefer old cuts in general, but I especially prefer them in antique style settings.
Good luck w/ the project!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with an OEC; a modern cut looks too cold and splintery for this design. I had an L diamond set in white gold and it looked white (but not super white) from the top. It only took on an antique white look indoors or if I looked at it from the side view.

PickieBee

Rough_Rock
That is very interesting...I've never seen an L irl and had assumed it would look too yellow. Sounds like I should at least consider an L if I find the right one. Thanks!

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
I would say go for an old cut. Well cut OECs have such a great personality and they tend to hide color, so you certain Ks will face up pretty white.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for an OEC it will look like it belongs in that type of setting rather than it being an after thought which sometimes modern RBs look like in old settings (sometimes they look out of place if that makes sense). A K in an OEC should face up a creamy colour, it won't be ice white but unless you are really unlucky and find or buy one that has a really strong yellow body hue or undertone the cut should hide a bit of the colour. It should look O.K in any white metal.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OEC all the way! Can't wait to see the finished product as I'm a big fishtail setting lover as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results