shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT Finally! My Five-stone anniversary OEC ring

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some perspective shots. My new watch is a two tone, so I can wear it with either of my rings :sun:

dreamer_5stone6.jpg

dreamer_5stone7.jpg

dreamer_5stone8.jpg

dreamer_5stone9.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
:love:

dreamer_5stone10.jpg

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer you found such a pretty ring! I really love the yellow gold in the mount. And of course any photos of your solitaire make my heart go pitter patter....

Any chance you are going to share where you found this beauty?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think these new photos show how well-matched and round these little OECs are. The central stone has some leakage which you can see in one photo, but at 4.2mm you cannot see that in real life. With these little guys the most important thing is how they look to the eye, which hides a myriad of sins.

But I was very happy to find this ring. I have been looking for a suite of old cuts for years on ebay, and have collected pairs in various sizes along the way. But always they were not quite right. And it is really impossible to find a matched suite one stone at a time. A graduated suite is possible to collect, but I prefer the look of five equal stones in a five-stone, in this size range anyway, so I decided about a year ago that the hunt was never going to work out.

I didn't look on ebay or hunt for about a year. Then I started looking on ebay again a couple months ago with some vague ideas of pendants or a five stone. And I found this one a couple weeks ago. The seller is a high volume estate seller who I follow. He advertised this ring as 1.1cttw, with no measurments or anything. The photos looked really nice. I was expecting diamonds in the 3.8mm range. And they turned out to be so much larger :love: As I said earlier, I estimate the ring at 1.65cttw. The title of the auction was also something silly like "pretty gold ring", so I don't think many people saw it. Usually rings like this sell for double or triple what I paid on ebay.

Anyways, I got it for a very low starting asking point. My husband said I basically stole this ring :devil: Like my solitaire, this is such a good find -- with such well-matched stones of very high quality -- that I don't think I could ever find another for the price I paid. So this one is another keeper for me!

I am so happy. Every time I look at this ring it makes me a little giddy!

So happy 7th wedding anniversary to us!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm.. when I post more than one photo they get shrunk :blackeye:

dreamer_2.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Perspective shot.

dreamer_5stone11.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
:halo:

dreamer_5stone18.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
And close with my favourite :love:

dreamer_5stone13.jpg

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what a pretty ring and lucky find. Congratulations on your anniversary. I noticed in your photos that it looks like one of the claws has broken off on your new ring. I'd hate for you to lose a stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Farleysmom|1401053298|3679891 said:
Wow, what a pretty ring and lucky find. Congratulations on your anniversary. I noticed in your photos that it looks like one of the claws has broken off on your new ring. I'd hate for you to lose a stone.

Pretty sure you are seeing an optical illusion. I think they are all there. :))

Dreamer, what a GREAT find!! :love: :appl: You seem to be able to find the proverbial needle in a haystack every time! Well cut, well matched OEC's are not easy to find, so I am happy for you that you found such a gorgeous ring!!! :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much Marcy!

mom2boys, the prongs are very delicate. When I bought the ring and saw the pics by the vendor, I was not a fan at all. There is a gap between each stone that is larger than I would like. But in person it looks quite nice on the hand and you cannot see the prongs at all. Now, they are not Leon prongs ;)) , but they are not too bad and they are small. The gap and the 6 prongs does make each stone really stand out, and I like that a lot!

acinom Thank you for the compliment about my hands, here and in your trends thread :oops: It was a pleasant surprise to see how substantial the ring is. As I mentioned in my longer post, above, the ring was purported to be much smaller!

And you are back too enerchi! Do you still wear your OEC much?

Daisyoz I like it paired with this little band! The shank of the ring is the same as my little band, both about 1.8mm, and the gold is the same color in both! But I mostly think I will wear it solo so you can really appreciate the roundness of each stone.

Confection NOw your three stone had older style cuts than then 1950s! So your diamonds were reset in the 50s? I suppose that is possible for this ring too. I will never know! But the heads are cast not hand made, and that suggests a later era. The diamonds I think are later European cuts. Earlier than my solitaire, but moving in that direction.

Missy I think for a daily wear ring, .30ct size is really ideal. I think I could go a little larger, perhaps up to 4.5mm each, but that would be the max. Sometimes bigger is not always better!

Thank you thecat!

Agnasia Your wish is my command!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
alene Thanks you for the anniversary wishes! I am eagerly watching your five stone thread. I may reset these stones later in the year, or down the road, and I am looking forward to seeing what you decide to do. I love the octagonal look, but on the other hand I also really like seeing the profile of my diamonds and I like the round look of each stone in an five stone... its a tough decision for you!

gemfever and msop and AprilBaby Yellow gold indeed! I did not choose it because of that but I really like yellow gold. I prefer how it looks on my skin. I have a YG watch and this new two tone watch, and a 7mm YG wedding band to wear when I am wanting something super casual. So I like that this is YG. If I resent, I may still have a YG shank... but that would depend on whether I wanted an alternative wedding set or a RHR. And that is something I am not sure about. Right now its an alternative wedding set.

Thank you kalomeli and woofmama!!

ally66 Yes the mount is nicer than I was expecting! But, see below, it may need resetting sooner than later :errrr:

sarahb|1401038465|3679742 said:
Happy Anniversary! :appl: It is gorgeous!! :love: Congratulations!

I think of you every time I wear your stone :wavey: I love it! :lickout:

Thanks! I am so glad you are happy!!

MGR I hope the close ups I poster satisfied your appetite! :Up_to_something:

yenny Thanks! I know you know how hard it is to find a nicely matched suite like you have in your three stone. The mismatching in cuts was the main reason I sold the stones from the three stone I had back in 2012. I just can't handle a mismatch!

pandabee I also love the swoopy style of prongs. I have seen nicer examples of this style of mount, of course, but even in this slightly rough execution it is very pretty and not toooo Gollom handy!

Thank you LLJs mom!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
derbygal Thanks so much! And thanks for stopping in again acinom!

OECsareforLovers|1401052640|3679878 said:
Dreamer you found such a pretty ring! I really love the yellow gold in the mount. And of course any photos of your solitaire make my heart go pitter patter....

Any chance you are going to share where you found this beauty?

Thanks! Once I have had the ring examined by my local jeweler and made sure its all as described and the transaction is finalized, then I will share :))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1401059165|3679949 said:
Farleysmom|1401053298|3679891 said:

Pretty sure you are seeing an optical illusion. I think they are all there. :))

Dreamer, what a GREAT find!! :love: :appl: You seem to be able to find the proverbial needle in a haystack every time! Well cut, well matched OEC's are not easy to find, so I am happy for you that you found such a gorgeous ring!!! :appl:

Thanks Diamondseeker!

Buuuttttt.... Farleysmom you are right! In my excitement I failed to notice that. I looked more closely with my loupe and one prong sheered off -- its the circled one with the star in the image below. There are another 4-5 prongs that are equally thin and I doubt would last long. I am a little unsure what to do. I don't want to spend a lot to repair this setting. I do like it a lot AS IS, but its not a mount I would set out to make and so I am not sure I would spend money on it. I'd rather have it reset in a slightly lower stance mount with little or no gap between stones if I am going to spend money on it...

The diamond with the missing prong is very tight and secure, but I won't wear it until its fixed.

Does anyone have a sense of the price of retipping prongs? :confused: If its not too much I'd rather repair this setting and enjoy it for a year or so before thinking about a reset.

dreamer_5stone19.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, this time it was MY poor reading comprehension! I skipped the word "new" and was looking closely at the e-ring prongs! Those are all there, Dreamer! :lol:

Sorry, Farleysmom!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's only that one prong to repair, right? The rest look plenty thick and sturdy. My original e-ring had a white gold head and I had the prongs retipped around 10 years ago (no help, I know), but then it was $25 a prong. Yours might be a little different if that prong is broken off.

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1401069386|3680031 said:
Gosh, this time it was MY poor reading comprehension! I skipped the word "new" and was looking closely at the e-ring prongs! Those are all there, Dreamer! :lol:

Sorry, Farleysmom!

No problem. I'm glad that the stone is secure and the ring can be fixed. Dreamer has such a great eye when it comes to these old stones and I'd hate to see one fall out. ::)

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful 5 stone ring...It looks great on your hand!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, thanks Dreamer for those close ups! Very pretty and I'm very happy for you that you found a five stone to love! Sounds like a great find all the way around.

Happy Anniversary to you and Mr. Dreamer and many happy returns!!

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer!! Fabulous new ring! :love:
I love the way that each stone is defined and not a continuous line.. it truly sets it apart from other bands.
Enjoy!!! :wavey:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring Dreamer (and fantastic pics!), I absolutely love it!! Those stones are amazing and it looks just wonderful on your hand- congratulations, it really is a beauty! :love: :appl:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Wow-it is beautiful!!!! Congratulations! :appl:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1401053097|3679889 said:
And close with my favourite :love:

Gorgeous picture!!!! Oh my gosh I love your old cuts Dreamer!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re-tipping prongs shouldn't cost that much at all just make sure you use someone either recommended or that you know to be reliable.

Congrats, the stones are beautiful & I am glad there are more people waving the yellow gold banner and wearing YG pieces out there - they are beautiful and work with many skin tones as well!!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1401013904|3679628 said:
Dreamer, your ring is beautiful. I love the finger coverage and I love the setting too. It looks perfect on your hand. :love:
I am looking forward to seeing closeups of this beauty on you...wear in health and happiness. :appl:

Love the new close-up pics Dreamer. They really show how well matched these beauties are. :love:
Happy Anniversary to you and your dh. :appl:

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! Its amazing. Love the close up pictures. :love: :love: :love: Congrats on a great find. Happy Anniversary!

orangesocks

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1401052939|3679884 said:
Perspective shot.

Happy Happy Anniversary from a newbie here, Dreamer! And I have to say that I think mixing metals is the most modern-looking thing. Your entire suite is fantastic -- simple yet opulent!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bright ice, thank you! I adore your new ring.

Thank you again MGR!

Rubies r me I also really like the distinction of each stone. I did not expect to feel that way, it's a little strange, but in person it just makes each stolen stand out and look very round and juicy. I would not set out to design a ring like this, but I am happy to wear it and love it!

Thanks Junebug!!

Army wife, your new addition looks phenomenal! Can't wait to see more pics.

Old cuts photograph so well SB621 they have such personality, always looking different. Thanks !

Arkie I will wave the YG flag proudly! When I fantasized about a five stone I wanted YG but was too chicken to take that plunge. It's better to get the ring already done and avoid that decision! I do love yellow metals on my skin.

Thanks again Missy! And thanks Vinjewels!

orangesocks|1401233620|3681279 said:
Dreamer_D|1401052939|3679884 said:
Perspective shot.

Happy Happy Anniversary from a newbie here, Dreamer! And I have to say that I think mixing metals is the most modern-looking thing. Your entire suite is fantastic -- simple yet opulent!

Welcome newbie! And thanks! I love the look of two-tone. This watch is a Coach watch I fell in love with about a year ago but didn't get because it was too much $$ in Canada. But I was in the US and discovered Nordstom Rack and they happened to have this one I loved for a great discount :love: I knew the YG ring was in the mail so I thought it was just meant to be to get the watch. I am loving it, looks good with both my solitaire and five stone. And the band is really beautiful and shiny and textured too. I'm very happy with my suite right now!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Small update.

I went to see my jeweller who did the refurbishment on my Georgie a few years ago and he examined the ring. Boy did these stones sparkle in the jewellers lighting :love: it affirmed for me that the diamonds are very nice quality. The prong repair should not cost much, but he said that there are another six :o prongs that are in very very worn shape. It is not the top of the prongs that matters,but the thinness and wear to the sides of the prongs is what makes them susceptible to damage and stone loss. I agree that there are a number of the prongs that had never been repaired in the past and they certainly look thin and weak. So he is going to refurbish the whole ring and make it all look like new. Hopefully ;))

He also said the ring looked like it is from the 1950's which matched what Confection thought! It sounds right. If the mount had been made in the same period as the diamonds were cut, then it would have been cast from a hand carved wax or made with some other older fabrication method. This ring has five identical cast heads that are soldered together,which is a technique that is much more recent. So these stones we're reset about 60 years ago! What a life these diamonds have led!

I am having him do a formal appraisal too, I am very curious about the estimated color and clarity and weight, and I would like a formal document for insurance of course.

I should have my ring back In a couple weeks and I'll update on the results!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring Dreamer ! Happy Anniversary!... :appl: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results