shape
carat
color
clarity

Van Craeynest alternatives

devaughnb

Rough_Rock
All this time i was happy that i at least knew what setting i would purchase for our engagement ring.

The setting i looked at was $7K in platinum which was steep... So when i recently called back i heard it was now $8k! Apparently material and labor costs have gone up...

At this point i've been considering alternatives. Ideally something that looks like the below:

Van vc_1012_1.jpg

So far i've heard of singlestone....

Ive seen some stuff by Whitehose bros, but the finish doesn't quite seem at the same level.

At a minimum i want a ring that is die struck. I suppose what i want is Van Craeynest... Just not at $8k.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing I've seen other than Single Stone is as finely finished as Van Craeynest, and it's probably equally expensive. Other than Whitehouse Bros there is Hugo Kohl for die-struck antique-style. Really if you want a die-struck antique-style ring there aren't a lot of choices that I know of. If you search PS for the "contemporary die struck" thread or something like that there's a list, but I kinda think that might be all of them in the thread.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only other vendor who does die struck antique that I know of is Single Stone and they are no less expensive. Expect it to be around $7K to $8K at a minimum as well, so you might as well stick with Van Craeynest or select a different setting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does die struck differ from lost wax style? Is there an artisan that can carve this and do it in wax? Sorry, I'm not an aficionado on these things?

You might want to go to an antique show, and perhaps buy a similar deco or art nouveau setting second hand, but it's likely to be very expensive too.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1400781050|3678275 said:
How does die struck differ from lost wax style? Is there an artisan that can carve this and do it in wax? Sorry, I'm not an aficionado on these things?

You might want to go to an antique show, and perhaps buy a similar deco or art nouveau setting second hand, but it's likely to be very expensive too.

With a die-struck piece the metal is physically compressed into the die and is ultimately denser and more durable. There would be no opportunity for air bubbles that are possible in standard lost wax casting. I think it also creates a piece that requires less polish and finish work.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harpertoo|1400781743|3678283 said:
TL|1400781050|3678275 said:

With a die-struck piece the metal is physically compressed into the die and is ultimately denser and more durable. There would be no opportunity for air bubbles that are possible in standard lost wax casting. I think it also creates a piece that requires less polish and finish work.

I see, thank you. :))

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thomas Herman (Seven Fingers Inc.) worked at Van Craynest and makes spectacular pieces. I don't know that his work would be any less expensive, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't realize Van Craeynest and Single Stone were among the only options for die-struck.
I think Jabel also did die-struck settings, but I don't really know their quality or design - or if they are still in business.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harpertoo|1400782780|3678296 said:
I didn't realize Van Craeynest and Single Stone were among the only options for die-struck.
I think Jabel also did die-struck settings, but I don't really know their quality or design - or if they are still in business.
Yes, Jabel is still in business & takes pride in the fact that they still do die-struck mountings.

But there are only 2 mountings in the current catalog which are reminiscent of the ornate designs of their early days, and neither of those are as fancy as the Van Craeynest mounting that has captured devaughnb's fancy (don't know if Jabel will do additional carving or set accent diamonds, but I imagine a local jeweler could make that inquiry for you). Then again, the prices will be markedly lower than Single Stone or Van Craeynest
http://www.jabel.com/ProductGallery.aspx?CatId=5

I've not seen either of those 2 mountings in real life, but I have seen other, recent Jabel rings (and own a vintage one) which were of high quality; my father-in-law, who was in the trade, thought Jabel deserved more recognition from consumers. If Jabel might be a possibility for you, perhaps there is a nearby jeweler on the searchable list on this page who has 1 or both in stock to show you:
http://www.jabel.com/location.aspx?city=0

devaughnb

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help!

I did some research on Jabel and found exactly what was mentioned here. They don't make very many of the ornate settings that they once did.

Perhaps i'll give in to Van Craeynest eventually. But as the budget increases, so do the options, which just makes the search that much more broad.

I'll give a call to Singlestone and the former VC employee.

Do you all have any thoughts of Whitehouse bros rings? From what i see in pictures, they aren't quite as well finished, but perhaps they look better in person?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
patricias|1400782358|3678287 said:
Thomas Herman (Seven Fingers Inc.) worked at Van Craynest and makes spectacular pieces. I don't know that his work would be any less expensive, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

His work is not die-struck. He does metal carving. Personally I wouldn't focus so much on the method since I think for a piece like that the small added extra durability isn't necessary, but it's OP's preference.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
devaughnb|1400792216|3678354 said:
I did some research on Jabel and found exactly what was mentioned here. They don't make very many of the ornate settings that they once did.

Perhaps i'll give in to Van Craeynest eventually. But as the budget increases, so do the options, which just makes the search that much more broad. I'll give a call to Singlestone and the former VC employee.

Do you all have any thoughts of Whitehouse bros rings? From what i see in pictures, they aren't quite as well finished, but perhaps they look better in person?

I agree that Jabel does simpler and more modern settings these days. As for the former VC employee, his pieces are not die struck. He hand-makes them and is more focused on carving. The workmanship of the Whitehouse bros rings do not hold a candle to VC or SS. For pieces that have intense and very tiny details, I prefer it to be die-struck because they hold up much better over time than cast or other method of handforging.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results