carat
color
clarity

Seamless mokume gane woodgrain rings

zoidberg

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

Long time watcher -- first time poster.

Having done the hard work choosing an engagement ring, it's time for me to treat myself to a wedding band! (the proposal worked well!)
I love mokume woodgrain styles that imitate real woodgrain like the pics below, but almost all of them have ugly seams somewhere along the band where the flat piece of metal is finally joined to make a ring. I think it's important that a wedding band not have any visible seam -- I find them really off-putting.

There are various techniques to avoid seams, but most of them result in tremendous amounts of waste metal and are too expensive for a gold mokume ring.
I've found a few small operators using an unusual technique to make these rings seamlessly. The technique is described here:
http://www.alberic.net/Student_Home/Handout_Archive/files/Mokume%20Rings-V1.5-STD.pdf and here:
http://danaenatsis.com/2012/06/25/mokume-at-last/

What's interesting is the big players in mokume are not using this technique and still have seams in their rings. I'm a little nervous ordering from these small websites that have few photos and no reviews but use the seamless technique, but I really would like a seamless mokume ring!!

Anyone know anything else about these techniques, have any experience purchasing, or any other ideas??

Thanks!!

ring_1_a.jpg

ring_123.jpg

ring_124.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the first one looks to be a Sawyer....George Sawyer to be exact. but I'm thinking it is an older piece.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband's 8 year old wedding ring is by Chris Ploof and it has no seam. Actually, in looking at the website I think DH has a Damascus steel ring. I know he liked the patterns, which are very much the same, my husband's ring is a birch pattern. I seem to recall husband correcting me a few times that the pattern is overall look is the same between Damascus steel and mokume gane, it's just different metals? If it's a different process and you like steel that may be a suitable option. My husband's Damascus ring is beautiful with a great continuous pattern and no seam, and Chris Ploof was great to work with customising it a lot for DH.

zoidberg

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys,

I've ordered a custom ring from the experts at mokume-gane.com.
It will be seamless with an pattern close to woodgrain.
I'll post details and pictures when it's here!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
please post pictures when you receive it!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Random thought: Mokume Gane is like the Mille feuille of jewelry making. :))

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
James Binnion is an absolute gem of a man: his technical knowledge of metallurgy and metal working is impressive and he is incredibly generous in sharing it and helping other metalworkers out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results