shape
carat
color
clarity

Facet Pattern Poll: What would you sacrifice?

Of the options provided, what would you sacrifice for the perfect facet pattern?

• 2 color grades (lower)

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • 2 clarity grades (lower)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • .50ct weight

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • An additional 3k that I don't have but could put on my CC

• I wouldn't sacrifice any of the above for the perfect facet pattern. I would sacrifice the facet pat

• Total voters

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
This is, admittedly, a silly poll and perhaps not all that realistic. But it seems there are times when we find diamonds or colored stones that have the perfect facet pattern but don't have all our other desired traits. So I'm just curious to see how important faceting is to some of you, compared to other qualities. In my case, I guess I'd say I sacrificed carat weight.

And by "perfect facet pattern" I mean whatever is perfect in your eyes. Thanks! :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In coloured stones, I would not sacrifice colour for facet pattern (I define this as cut design rather than cut quality). For diamonds, if facet pattern means perfect cut for maximum light return, then I do not want to sacrifice this at all and will make slight adjustments in the other categories.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When it comes to diamonds, color is the least of all evils IMHO. I look for maximum sparkle. I guess that beyond a certain point a 1/2 ct isn't that big of a deal but I've never had that problem.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I just went through this! Was searching for a new stone for a personal ring (sold the ring I had been wearing for the past year). I really wanted an OEC, GIA L or higher, VS, but was hoping for 3+ carat size (9mm). I found one that I fell madly in love with, but it was smaller than I wanted (2.32ct, 8.3 - 8.5mm) but had the exact faceting and proportions I was after. I loved it at first sight, so I sacrificed weight/size, and plan to just set it in a certain killer semi bezel to boost the face up size. :Up_to_something:

I wouldn't have gone down in color because I really wanted to stay within me personal sweet spot (K/L), and I have a thing for higher clarity stones (the new stone is a VS1). So my compromise was size to get all the other boxes checked.

But old cuts often do require more compromises than modern cuts - there's usually a trade off unless time and budget are not factors.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
This is a hard one, and it depends on your starting criteria right? If you're asking me to go from a 5 ct to a 4.5 ct, I'd be happy to. and a VVS1 to a VS1, sure, why not? From a F to an H....fine by me. So this is a poll that I cannot answer.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For old cut diamonds I would sacrifice .5 carat for the perfect facet pattern as long as it was still big that is. :cheeky:
I would not sacrifice the facet pattern and I would not sacrifice clarity and I don't think I would want to go lower than GIA L but it really depends on the stone so never say never. I never thought I would own an L! So there you go. It's all about the specific stone in question and if it sings to you. :appl:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on the project/situation. My next stone I am only after a 7-7.5mm stone so knocking half a carat off is not an option. I really want a lower colour three stone so colour would be what I sacrifice, I think. But that's not to say I would in every situation.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results