shape
carat
color
clarity

My vintage/antique lace layered dress!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
For my beach vow renewal I decided to have the talented Tracey Coyle of Vintage Kitty make me a dress. The only issue was that she was in New Zealand and I am in the US. Now, Tracey has made several items for me in the past, so I knew she would make me a beautiful dress. And,although, wedding type dresses are not her major focus- she does specialize in using vintage linens and laces and repurposing them into clothing- and, well, she is just the nicest person, too. I was very excited when she agreed to make my dress for me as she stays really, really busy with custom orders!! I pretty much gave Tracey carte blanch freedom to make my dress- just gave her my measurements and the general style I wanted and she pretty much knows my taste. I sent her some of my antique lace trims to use that I've collected over 20 years and she has a phenomenal collection of laces and linens,too. She also added some tea dyed newer laces on the bodice and some of the layers for stability since many of the antiques are quite fragile.

Anyhoo, my dress is ready and being shipped to me tomorrow!!!!! Since I am cutting it very close (vow renewal is next month) I hope it arrives quickly! Tracey did a beautiful job and I can't wait to see it in person!! :love: There are layers and layers of laces!

So, after all that- I am only going to give you all some teaser pics. Until I have it in my hands and will reveal the entire dress. :naughty:

phpnttj4eam.jpg

php82j7ndam.jpg

phpwfahfham.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks really beautiful pinkjewel! Can't wait to see the entire dress!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
junebug17|1396932479|3649520 said:
It looks really beautiful pinkjewel! Can't wait to see the entire dress!

thanks,junebug17, the dress arrived a couple of days ago. Here is a pic of the whole dress- the detail is amazing and the antique laces are gorgeous in person.

phpecnxhyam-1.jpg

_16883.jpg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG pinkjewel! Its one of the most beautiful dresses I have ever seen!!!

I love everything about it and love the fact it's a one of a kind. So many brides have the same style dress-same shape-over and over again and while they are beautiful I want to say-where is your own touch on things-well ladies take a lesson from pinkbow (helps that it's a vow renewal and you know yourself well by now lol) THIS is what it's all about!

Was it crazy expensive compared to buying retail? I think a lot of brides don't go this route due to costs. But IMO I think you should be able to get something made for around 1500.00 (maybe not all lace like this) but I've had a dress made and it was $250.00 and came out beautifully (not a wedding dress).

I cant wait to see pictures of everything. YAY!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
thank you VL229!!

I know what you mean about so many brides picking the same style- but I think we see that online a lot because we are looking on blogs,pinterest, and wedding sites when we're trying to get ideas on what we want. Since I'm a bit older I don't go to all that many weddings anymore- do you see it IRL,too? And, I think you're right- I knew I wanted something a little different.

About the cost- it was not inexpensive. It's so hard to see all the layers in this dress from the photos, but it has many, many layers of vintage and antique laces. Tracey said she far underestimated both the time it took to make it and all the materials she used- but I had given her a budget and she didn't charge me anymore than the top end of it. And I provided a fair amount of antique lace, too. So, I'm not really sure what the cost would be for something similar, but to give a very general idea-over $2000.00. Which compared to the dresses I saw retail- I think is reasonable. But Tracey (and maybe others) will work within a budget- a dress could have less antique lace, or maybe less expensive lace,etc. I've seen dresses she's made for just a few hundred for weddings,too. And the best thing is that you know you will never see another one like it ever again!! I love thinking of the history behind vintage/antique lace. Who made it? What was it used on before? Some of the laces on my dress are from the 1800s!!!! Amazing that they have survived in such wonderful condition and that they were probably cherished for years. It makes it very special to me to wear something that so many hands contributed to making. =)

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1397243400|3651910 said:
thank you VL229!!

I know what you mean about so many brides picking the same style- but I think we see that online a lot because we are looking on blogs,pinterest, and wedding sites when we're trying to get ideas on what we want. Since I'm a bit older I don't go to all that many weddings anymore- do you see it IRL,too? And, I think you're right- I knew I wanted something a little different.

About the cost- it was not inexpensive. It's so hard to see all the layers in this dress from the photos, but it has many, many layers of vintage and antique laces. Tracey said she far underestimated both the time it took to make it and all the materials she used- but I had given her a budget and she didn't charge me anymore than the top end of it. And I provided a fair amount of antique lace, too. So, I'm not really sure what the cost would be for something similar, but to give a very general idea-over $2000.00. Which compared to the dresses I saw retail- I think is reasonable. But Tracey (and maybe others) will work within a budget- a dress could have less antique lace, or maybe less expensive lace,etc. I've seen dresses she's made for just a few hundred for weddings,too. And the best thing is that you know you will never see another one like it ever again!! I love thinking of the history behind vintage/antique lace. Who made it? What was it used on before? Some of the laces on my dress are from the 1800s!!!! Amazing that they have survived in such wonderful condition and that they were probably cherished for years. It makes it very special to me to wear something that so many hands contributed to making. =)

Thank you so much for sharing-I can't wait to see closer photos and everything come together. And I've seen designer gowns with a LOT less lace retail for 10k and are not nearly as unique and pretty as this-so even over 2k for handmade + vintage lace (difficult to work with AND expensive) that isn't a bad starting point.

I myself bought a vintage wedding gown that had a lot of beautiful lace on it. It was from the 1940's and was just beautiful. Everyone said how much they loved my gown and how unique it was-and to this day I have yet to see another like it. An ebay find no less for $75.00 which got refunded to me due to a stain that came out during the dry cleaning process! It was a total score :) Hand made too-not nearly as many layers and lace as yours though.

I too love the history of vintage things-I thought of the other bride who had it made (perhaps by her mother-grandmother?) and since it was from the 40's maybe it had a bride or two get married in it.

I can't wait to see photos from your special day. Thanks so much for sharing :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results