shape
carat
color
clarity

Tanzanite Advice

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,

Long time no hear! Even though i haven't posted for a long time, I have been lurking and ogling at the gorgeous bling all this time.

I would like to ask for advice on a tanzanite that my jeweler showed me. It has been AGL certified with the following information:

Identification
Mineral Type: Zoisite
Variety: Tanzanite
Carat Weight: 8.36cts
Measurement: 13.03X10.38X8.25mm
Color Description: Bluish Violet
Cutting Style: Modified Brilliant Cut

Comments: Tanzanite Foundation color grade reference: BluishViolet/ Exceptional (bVE)

Origin
Provenance: Tanzania

Comments: based on available gemmological information, it is the opinion of the laboratory that the origin of this material would be classified as Tanzania.

Enhancement
Standard: Natural Color
Additional: clarity enhancement: None

Comments: non-heated tanzanites are rare. The color is tanzanite is commonly the result of a relatively low temperature heating process.

Based on the information on enhancements, does this mean that this is an unheated tanzanite? My jeweler said it is but I would like to be sure that it's nota general comment about tanzanite treatment but that it is referring to the stone that is being graded.

There is also another tanzanite with color Violetish Blue (vBE). Which is the more desirable color- vBE or bVE?

Thank you!

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I forgot to mention that under the Enhancement section, under both Standard and Additional, the following have been included:

Degree: N/A
Type: N/A
Stability Index: N/A

Thank you!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think heated tanzanite is any less valuable than unheated (I could be wrong). In fact, heating tanzanite often makes it more desirable because it eliminates unwanted modifiers and colors, like brown.

Therefore, I wouldn't put too much weight into whether the stone is treated or not. Most tanzanite is, and it doesn't really affect the value that much.

I would just get the one that appeals to you more as far as color is concerned. I believe slightly vB is more valuable than bV. Of course tone also plays a role. A highly saturated vB with a medium dark tone is probably most desirable.

This is a really good page on tanzanite.

http://www.lapigems.com/tanzanite_buying_guide.asp

http://www.lapigems.com/Articles/Tanzanite-Color-How-it-Affects-Value.aspx

The page talks about investment grades, but honestly I would never ever buy tanzanite as an investment. Other than that, these are informative pages.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Most important to buy what you like, as TL says. If I remember right, Richard Wise in Secrets of the Gem Trade says that when Tanzanite was first discovered, it was compared to sapphire & therefore the "market preferred" was blue w/a violet modifier. In more recent times, with Tanzanite's being appreciated for its own beauty, more violet is acceptable in its presentation than previously. But YOU have to wear it, not a bunch of "experts." It's probably not a great stone for investment, so whatever sings to you is what you should snag. I prefer one that doesn't look like I'm trying to duplicate a sapphire.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks TL and JF..

I found the tanzanite interesting as I have read that the unheated ones are rare. I have asked another jeweler to bring in some tanzanite to show me, probably heated ones, to see if there's one which all sing to me.. Will keep you posted..

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
simplysplendid|1397299876|3652260 said:
Thanks TL and JF..

I found the tanzanite interesting as I have read that the unheated ones are rare. I have asked another jeweler to bring in some tanzanite to show me, probably heated ones, to see if there's one which all sing to me.. Will keep you posted..

Not very helpful to your search, but I thought these are interesting to see. Two of them are unheated, as labelled. Gorgeous.

http://wildsglobalminerals.com/vivid-blue-tanzanites-no-heat-tanzanites-aesthetic-cut/

img_7019.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LK: those are all beautiful. I can honestly say that is the first time I've seen an unheated one of such saturation.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results